Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

How much gear whine is normal?

The T/A is my first manual car, so I'm about as familiar with manual trannies as Hugh Hefner is with fat chicks.

Anyway, had the thing since last summer, and I hadn't really paid much attention until I took a fairly long trip (8 hrs) in the car a couple months ago. After a couple hours the gear whine stuck out over the exhaust, radio, everything. Just resonates inside the car as well. Seemed like I was stopping at every rest stop to let my headache subside.

Been paying closer attention to it now, and from the inside, it definitely sounds louder than my (stock) exhaust. Is that normal, or should I get it looked at ASAP?

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

do you have a after market rearend and or shifter? you shoul not here the rear but if you have a shifter like a pro 5.0 you will here it a bit but it shouldnt be bad.

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    do you have a after market rearend and or shifter? you shoul not here the rear but if you have a shifter like a pro 5.0 you will here it a bit but it shouldnt be bad.
    Shifter and rear are stock. I've been wondering about the gears since the car has a good bit more low-end bite than my previous Camaro (although it was an A4). The thought has crossed my mind that the previous owner may have done just a cheap gear swap, although from what I can see it doesn't look like it.

Just wanted to find out how much (if any) gear whine is normal before I had the thing looked at.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

does it whine on accel, decel, or both?

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    does it whine on accel, decel, or both?
    I actually hear it the loudest when maintaining higher highway speeds (hovering around 70-80), although this just could be from exhaust drowning it out during acceleration. It noticeably decreases when I let off the pedal and let her coast though.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If it bothers you you can rebuild it but gear whine isn't gonna hurt anything. My Strange 12 bolt screams, if I rebuild it it'll just make noise again after a few trips to the track.

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    If it bothers you you can rebuild it but gear whine isn't gonna hurt anything. My Strange 12 bolt screams, if I rebuild it it'll just make noise again after a few trips to the track.
    I like to drive, and it hurts my ears.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Are you sure it is gear whine? Is is a deep droning sound? Could be a leak in the exhaust or muffler.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Could just be tire noise at highway speeds.
    Maybe drone from the exhaust but stock probly not
    All i can think of besides the rear

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Are you sure it is gear whine? Is is a deep droning sound? Could be a leak in the exhaust or muffler.
    Wouldn't I hear an exhaust leak at idle? Or at least when I rev the engine. It's just a steady, moderately high pitched noise that I notice around 50mph and gets annoying over 60mph.

I hear it the worst at higher speeds with very light throttle (interstate cruising).

I hadn't thought of an exhaust leak before, but it just sounds completely seperate from the exhaust. I could be wrong, but I would think that an exhaust leak would get louder as the exhaust does when throttle is increased, and would do it at all speeds. This is only at higher speeds, and is drowned out by the exhaust note if I stomp on the go pedal.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If it is high pitched then most likely not. Just was thinking of a lower drone that the exhaust might make depending on where the leak was.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well you should NOT be able to hear an audible whine. NO it's not normal.
    I have read MANY threads on here and other places where people have posted that it's normal to get a whine with after market gears. . . . . . .
    If the pinion depth and back lash are set-up correctly you shouldn't have noise. I have been doing this for over 15 years and over 10 for a living so I'm speaking from experience.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Mine wines like crazy too from 50-70 miles... had the dealership rebuilt it after a shop messed up by over tightening the pinion when replacing the seal. My solution... sub woofer, speakers, and amp.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    Mine wines like crazy too from 50-70 miles... had the dealership rebuilt it after a shop messed up by over tightening the pinion when replacing the seal. My solution... sub woofer, speakers, and amp.
    That works too. I'm an avid audiophile so I have sounds in Everything I drive anyways.

black
    2002 ramair

Mine did the same thing at about 40k miles. It was still under warranty. They rebuilt the rear and I brought it back the next day because it had a slightly different whine. The dealer admitted that the guy who normally did rears was on vacation. So I waited for him to return. When he re-rebuilt it he said the rear was not shimmed correctly (too tight). It has been quiet ever since. The stock rears in them are weak.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I tried Motive gears (3.73 ratio) and that set whined like a whore that hadn't gotten paid.

Next I tried Richmond. Better but still noticeable during coast and especially during decel.

Now I've got AAM gears and couldn't be happier. If I didn't concentrate (with everything off) and/or know what I was listening for I wouldn't hear a thing. The wind going thru my 7 year old rubber seals around the door windows makes more noise now. I'm a happy camper.

Black
    98 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Well you should NOT be able to hear an audible whine. NO it's not normal.
    I have read MANY threads on here and other places where people have posted that it's normal to get a whine with after market gears. . . . . . .
    If the pinion depth and back lash are set-up correctly you shouldn't have noise. I have been doing this for over 15 years and over 10 for a living so I'm speaking from experience.
    Sorry to jump in here so late but are you saying that the whine from my gears is from incorrect installation? And if so, Can it be fixed by resetting the pinion depth and back lash, or is there something ruined now and I have to replace that too...

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

I only get a whine when I accelerate or if I am at higher RPMS, but cruising I don't hear a thing but the exhaust.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

How many miles are on your car?

Black
    98 Trans AM

105 miles....last owner had 4:10's installed...I don't really hear it in first or second, not even really third where it is overpowering but in fourth and fifth and sixth, when I let off on the gas I don't hear anything, and when I jump on the gas I don't hear anything, it's just at cruising, slightly touching the gas and the pitch also increases with higher gear, to an overwhelming pearce at about 70 or 80. I'm just wondering if it's bearing, or gears, or what can I expect..I did have the fluid changed cause was leaking but didn't solve anything even with the additive.

Thread Information