How hard is it to install a new clutch

This is a discussion on How hard is it to install a new clutch within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; if you've never done it before? I've done a lot of work on cars, just never a clutch. I'm looking ...

How hard is it to install a new clutch

if you've never done it before? I've done a lot of work on cars, just never a clutch. I'm looking at a 95 TA vert that seems to be in pretty good shape with 36000 miles, but it needs a clutch. They're willing to let me buy a clutch and have it installed, while giving me at least their cost (clutch and labor) off the price of the car. I have sockets, wrenches and an air compressor. I also have a floor jack, jackstands, creeper.... all that good stuff, just no tranny jack. Is this something I will be able to do in a day, or no? Is it something that's easy to mess up and wish you had never thought of doing?
    (Maybe while the tranny is out, some headers could find their way in there, too. )
    Last edited by gasnmyveins; 10-17-2005 at 09:20 PM. Reason: addition to post

NBM
    98 Trans Am convertible

I ve done a few clutches, to be exact 3 Nova clutches, 1 3rd gen camaro, S10, 87 f150 and of course my 98 Trans Am, that six speed is one heavy sumbitch only trans i needed a hand under the car to get in. It was the last one i would want to do again, it isnt fun. They were all driveway installs except the f150. Yes, it could be done in a day if your on the ball with a new flywheel ready to go. Running into situations where you weren't expecting costs, or needing certain parts, cause yours look like they are ready to take a dump, is what gets you.
    Last edited by 98TAvert; 10-17-2005 at 10:18 PM.

How can I tell if my parts are getting ready to go? I don't know what any of these parts should look like, other than "not looking like scorched metal."

Thread Information