Help! Being locked out of gears on T-56!

I am randomly getting locked out of some or all gears on my t-56. The trans was new along with the rest of the drive train right before I bought the car about 2,000 miles ago. I bought the car from a friend so who also owns an F-body shop so I know for all this to be true. The trans has carbon synchro's...good fork..all the good stuff in it. It started randomly grinding fifth...usually on a downshift, then that went away and it started doing it to fourth instead. Then it randomly would lock me out of a gear or multiple gears but then I may go a whole week without issue. The last time i drove it, it locked me out of all gears and I finally got it into fourth and had to ride to clutch out to get it moving to get it home. Half way home it was fine and started to go through all gears fine. Got close to home and it did it again.

Could this be skip shift malfunction? I believe mine was taken out through the computer as it does not function and I do not get a light on the dash. I ordered an eliminator as well yesterday just for good measure.

The car does has some POS shifter in it and I have a brand new B&M in the box that is waiting to go in.

Thanks for the help!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

sounds like syncros ...but it locking you out of all gears is odd...maybe a clutch problem/hydrolic problem if not any of that...maybe your keys are worn and need to be upgraded to billet..blocker ring might not be able to do its job. sorry i am not much help

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Is it doing it at speed, or high rpm? Sounds like it could be clutch hydraulics. Check on the clutch master and slave cylinders. See if he replaced those with the trans? If so, maybe one is bad. Just a thought, as it sounds similair to the hell I went through.

Quote Originally Posted by buswwa View Post
    Is it doing it at speed, or high rpm? Sounds like it could be clutch hydraulics. Check on the clutch master and slave cylinders. See if he replaced those with the trans? If so, maybe one is bad. Just a thought, as it sounds similair to the hell I went through.
    I'll ask him about that. I haven't been able to put any type of pattern together for when it does it. The last time I was just cruising down the road at about 40 mph and went to shift and it had other plans.

I forgot to add its an LS7 clutch. I called him about the slave and master cylinder but he's out of town and isn't sure off the top of his head so I'll know when he gets back tomorrow.

Installed a B&M ripper and greased the plastic bushing which was in good shape but the problem is still there on occasion. The fluid does look old so I thought about flushing the system. Could this fix the problem or do you think that it will just be a waste of time and i should go ahead and just replace the master cylinder followed by the slave cylinder if that doesn't fix the problem?

Thread Information