TurdBurglar1982

Having Problems With Spec3 Clutch Plz View

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums so bare with me please. I am a proud owner of a 2002 Firebird Formula. Well most of the time...

Anyways, I had a SPEC stage 3 clutch w/ a billet steel flywheel installed about a year ago, give or take a few months. I had it installed professionally installed by MTI (Motor Sport Technologies) here in Houston, TX. Right from get go, I didn't believe that it was functioning properly. Supposedly chattering is normal for this clutch per MTI and SPEC, I was reassured by both companies this would have no effect on the longevity of the clutch.

It has always engaged a little to high on the clutch pedal travel in my opinion. But recently, it has been slipping... its been doing it going from 5th to 3rd to get around someone or what not. Also I got stuck in some horrible traffic because of Hurricane Rita, and went about 30 miles in 6hrs of stop and go traffic, now the clutch is engaging at the VERY top of the pedal travel...

It has always also seemed sometimes to not disengage properly (IMO) since I've had it, go to push clutch pedal in at hi-rpm and it clunks.

I've read/heard of different things about a shim/spacer being installed to eliminate this chatter, I called MTI when I found out about that, and they say they have heard of no such thing, then called a second time, and they swore that they install a shim on all spec3 installs.

I contacted SPEC with this problem I'm having and they agree that the everything should be fine with the clutch since I barely have 10K miles on it,and I don't drive the car real hard. All they recommended doing was trying to get someone nice enough to pull the tranny out and get pictures of the disc I believe they said.

I greatly apologize if this is a long post. But quite a few fellow LS1 friends of mine recommended me here. Any help/feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm not a wealthy man, but if someone could maybe help me out locally (I live in Spring, TX not far north of houston) that would be awesome as well... =þ

Thanks again guys, looking forward to becoming a active member of your forum.

Jonathan Zielske
    TurdBurglar1982@aol.com
    Last edited by TurdBurglar1982; 10-02-2005 at 06:48 PM.

Black
    99 SS

this is another bad thing i have heard from the SPEC, i have heard so many horror stories about this clutch and it just backs me up even more, you do know that your not suposed to slip this clutch right?

NBM
    98 Trans Am convertible

thats what killed my stock clutch not the drops from a dead stop , dropped from 5th down to 3rd to pass, goodbye clutch hello fuel cutoff

funny... my RAM's giving me problems similar to this after only 2 track visits... gave it a nice 800 mile break-in too... now everythings going to ][ell in a handbasket... thinking about a Spec3 now

TurdBurglar1982
    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    this is another bad thing i have heard from the SPEC, i have heard so many horror stories about this clutch and it just backs me up even more, you do know that your not suposed to slip this clutch right?

Well, you can't really "slip" this clutch, because it has such a hi clamping force. But its a pile of schimt pressure plate obviously, so guess I'll fork out some more $$$ I don't have for a new one.

Thread Information