d james

guys with 4.30 and 4.56 gears-do you love them or hate them

I've been thinking of upgrading to some numerically higher gears. I'm on some 4.10s right now and this is my third set I've had with my different cars. I see US gear makes a 4.30 and of course many companies make the 4.56, I know I will go into 5th in the 1/4, but I don't ever go to the track so thats not an issue. I'm not to concerned with shifting all the time either as I skip ship everyday. I mainly want something for fun on the street. Will the 4.56 blow through the powerband way to quickly? Are they that much weaker than the 4.10s. I was thinking the 4.30 gear might be a nice middle ground for these cars. I'm running the stock cam, longtubes, lid and cutout-01 TA
    Last edited by d james; 05-27-2006 at 12:29 PM.

It might be fun but traction could be an issue, I'd spend the money on a cam and make those 4.10s more fun on the street

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

4.10's are more than enough. Although one guy put 4.56's in his, and swears it was the best mod ever.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

also want to note that with a lower gear you'll spend more time in higher RPM's causing your engine life to decrease in the long run

Black
    01 ws6

4.30s

I wonder what gear would get me through the 1/4 in at the top of fourth? I have 3.42s and stock tires. I wonder also has anyone ever made sixth usable with 4.10s. I bet top speeds could really get up there. But lets all remember this sixth gear is 0.5:1 so six thousand at the motor is twelve thousand at the driveshaft. Yikes. Does anyone have any experiance with this? Can you say carbon fiber driveshaft. Six thousand in fifth is about 150 mph, but it won't pull in sixth yet.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I get a weird driveline shake at 150 mph with 4.10's (5th gear), if it wasn't for that I could get that thing to at least 160 in fifth. Sixth might be usable with 4.56's.

Black
    01 ws6

4.30s

I think 4.30s might be the best all around if they will let you pull in sixth. I once had a cat with 2.73s and it was quite smooth over 150mph. I think driveshaft viberation becomes a problem over 6 or 7 thousand. I have been thinkin of a carbon fiber driveshaft has anyone got one? Hey catfishman what rpm are you at in fifth at 150 mph? What rpm in fourth in the quarter? Oh and hey I have read a few of your posts, your alright in my books..

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by specialized.1
    I think 4.30s might be the best all around if they will let you pull in sixth. I once had a cat with 2.73s and it was quite smooth over 150mph. I think driveshaft viberation becomes a problem over 6 or 7 thousand. I have been thinkin of a carbon fiber driveshaft has anyone got one? Hey catfishman what rpm are you at in fifth at 150 mph? What rpm in fourth in the quarter? Oh and hey I have read a few of your posts, your alright in my books..
    Thanks...You know, now that I think about it, when I have had it in fifth on top end charges (which has been about 20 or 30 times), I have never paid much attention to the tach. Glanced at the MPH only briefly. I was more worried about keeping the car from disintegrating into a ditchbank at 150 mph than what rpm I was turning. All I remember, and my memory is foggy, is that the tach needle was close to straight up, which is somewhere in the 5-6K range.

I never ran it in the quarter, but from what I have been told, you will be getting close to the rev limiter with 4.10's and 6600 rpm setpoint going through the traps.

I would think 4.30's would put me right on the limiter going through the traps with my current limiter setpoint. 4.56's might require a time consuming shift to fifth before the 1/4.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

anything more than 410's on the street is overkill.....not much traction unless you only have 225hp. You could obviously put on drag radials, but you better NOT have a STOCK rear... oh yeah..you must like buying tires..
    Last edited by NHRAMAN; 07-31-2006 at 10:51 AM.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Thread Information