Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    98 Trans Am

grinding trans when decelerating/braking/shifting

Hey guys.

Bought the car yesterday and had to drive it 850 miles to get home.
    About 1/2way home I started hearing a sound kinda like maybe a tire was about to blow. Not the case. Drove a few more miles and the noise got worse.

Problem:
    Finally I figured it was coming from the trans or clutch. Trans I believe. It's got a recently rebuilt 6 spd and a centerforce dual racing clutch. When I'm in a gear and try slowing down the trans grinds badly and somewhat shakes the car. When I accelerate this problem doesn't happen, with the only exception to shifting gears it somewhat grinds. At over 1600rpms I don't think it grinds when on cruise control. I seen people on here something about torque arm & bushing & trans mount. Could one of those be this problem? Would it have anything to do with the flywheel?

Also, is shifting at about 1700-2000rpms safe with this dual racing clutch in a LS1 m6 with over 400 horse? Or should I shift more around 2500-3000?
    Last edited by candlelit; 09-27-2006 at 11:39 PM.

White
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by candlelit View Post
    Hey guys.

About 1/2way home I started hearing a sound kinda like maybe a tire was about to blow. Not the case. Drove a few more miles and the noise got worse.

Problem:
    Finally I figured it was coming from the trans or clutch. Trans I believe. It's got a recently rebuilt 6 spd and a centerforce dual racing clutch. When I'm in a gear and try slowing down the trans grinds badly and somewhat shakes the car. When I accelerate this problem doesn't happen, with the only exception to shifting gears it somewhat grinds. At over 1600rpms I don't think it grinds when on cruise control. I seen people on here something about torque arm & bushing & trans mount. Could one of those be this problem? Would it have anything to do with the flywheel?

Also, is shifting at about 1700-2000rpms safe with this dual racing clutch in a LS1 m6 with over 400 horse? Or should I shift more around 2500-3000?
    I also heard I should check the trans oil & it might be something like metal rubbing against metal or something. Anyone have this similar problem?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Hey guys.

Problem:

Okay...let me see if I can figure this out. Does the transmission grind as you are shifting, or while it is in gear and you accelerate/decelerate??

If it grinds during shifting, its either the synchros are bad (unlikely since it was just rebuilt) or the clutch isn't disengaging all the way. Since its an aftermarket clutch, I'd say its most likely a clutch issue if it grinds when you try to shift.

If its just plain grinding when you are in gear and either accelerate or decelerate, there is something seriously wrong with the transmission. Sounds like the gears aren't meshing properly, and are slipping and grinding when there is a load on them. Thats very bad, if thats the case, don't drive the car, take it to a transmission shop immediately. The torque arm, bushing, and trans mount will not cause a grinding sound under any circumstances. If those are bad, you wil either get vibration through the shifter, clunking sounds, or the shifter will move up and down when you hit the gas. They will not make any grinding sounds. The flywheel wouldn't grind either, unless the starter was not disengaging all the way or something, and the teeth of the flywheel/starter were grinding against each other.

Hope that helps, let us know when the grind occurs.

White
    98 Trans Am

it only makes the grinding sound when decelerating, like when i'm on cruise control and then let off of it or when i use the brakes. when accelerating it doesn't make the sound. when I shift under 2000 rpms or so, it'll make a slight grind sound. but when i'm on it, shifting over 2500 rpms it won't make any sounds at all.

White
    98 Trans Am

it's getting worse...

when i slow down to a stop sign, i put it in neutral and let off the clutch. something under the car grinds when it slows down. then once i'm stopped I put it in 1st and try to take off, but the gear delays and then finally catches gear. i don't think this is good news especially when you don't have any money to have it fixed.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

it's getting worse...

when i slow down to a stop sign, i put it in neutral and let off the clutch. something under the car grinds when it slows down. then once i'm stopped I put it in 1st and try to take off, but the gear delays and then finally catches gear. i don't think this is good news especially when you don't have any money to have it fixed.
    man that sucks..but i'm going to tell you..your fucked if you cant afford to get it fixed..becuase it sounds like the more you drive it the more its going to screw shit up

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

it's getting worse...

Man that is worst case scenerio. Grinding while the trans is in gear, or not catching gears as you accelerate, is a sign that the trans is on its way out. Something is severely damaged inside the transmission, without a doubt. Drive it as little as possible, and get it to the shop as soon as you have the money.

In fact, I'd reccommend not driving it at all, you're risking blowing the entire transmission out. Then your just stuck with an even bigger bill. Not worth it.

White
    98 Trans Am

thanks guys. that really sucks to hear that. i noticed tonight it was making a clunking noise when i was doing about 1600 rpms in first gear so that made me kinda think well maybe i'll get lucky and it's something simple. but with the other problems, it's probably just messing more of it up. hopefully i can get it on a trailer to haul down to my brothers house (there's a shop there)

navy blue
    1998 trans am

check the torque arm bushings they were rubber and eaten out this might be your problem or check the u joints that tranny dosent even have 10k miles on it im the old that got it rebuilt and i always had problems with the torque arm bushing

White
    98 Trans Am

well I was driving it down to my brothers today, and the driveshaft came out on it so I'm going to have to get a new rear end for it.

98' trans am

well I was driving it down to my brothers today, and the driveshaft came out on it so I'm going to have to get a new rear end for it.
    ouch....well make sure you get a 9" or a 12 bolt..if your getting a new rear.......trust me you won't be dissapointed
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

navy blue
    1998 trans am

dude because the driveshaft came off dont mean you need a new rear end call richmond you have the reciepts in the console you need u joints or a yolk

98' trans am

shit he might as well upgrade. the rear

navy blue
    1998 trans am

the clutch is brand new its a centerforce and the tranny is a fresh rebuild i watched him rebuild it if the driveshaft come off how does that mean the tranny is bad im thinking more like u joints or the yolksor something oh the rear is brand new also

Green
    1994 Honda Civic

I am have a similar issue. When I shift into first gear and drive I hear a grinding/scraping sound while in gear, the when I shift to second and I hear more grinding/scraping but at higher rpms while in gear, then it kinda of settles down once I shift into 3 ect. It's random for me, but I would say i hear it 60% of the time. It's pretty loud, but the car still drives smooth.

pewter

How does the torques arm connect to the front because i believe my front busings are bad?? i am having clunking sounds while braking, going over bumps, and shifting from D-R or R-D??

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

and a word of advice, start saving up some extra money, you will soon need a new clutch especially if you are around the 400 RWHP. CenterForce is known for being CRAP in our cars.

White
    98 Trans Am

sorry guys this was a long time ago. it was the clutch.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

What's with all these old ass threads getting resurrected lately.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    What's with all these old ass threads getting resurrected lately.
    why are you posting on this old ass thread keeping it alive? leave it alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information