Feedback/vibration through Pro 5.0 ?

This is a discussion on Feedback/vibration through Pro 5.0 ? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; It's been a long time since I've had an aftermarket shifter but I installed my Pro 5.0 a couple of ...

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

Feedback/vibration through Pro 5.0 ?

It's been a long time since I've had an aftermarket shifter but I installed my Pro 5.0 a couple of days ago. It shifts fine, the only real problem I have is that it is so short and I am so use to the factory shifter that I often go a gear too far. I skip shift from 1st to 6th and accidentally hit 5th after 2nd, etc. But I'm getting use to it again.

My question is, do the rest of you get a vibration and metallic whining/grinding sound through your shifter? I remember having a little with the Hurst and Pro 5.0 that I had years ago but I don't remember it being this noticeable. It isn't excessive and doesn't bother me, I just want to make sure this is normal. I know the factory shifter has the rubber piece mounted in between the upper and lower halves of the handle that I'm sure dampens some of the sound and the Pro 5.0 doesn't, plus the Pro 5.0 is a much thicker sturdier piece, but does it make that much difference?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

You will definitely get some more noise and vibration than you would with the stock or Hurst shifter, which use a rubber isolated stick to reduce NVH. However, if the vibration is excessive, you may have a bad u joint or out of balance driveshaft.

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

I wouldn't consider it excessive. With the radio on you can't hear it, it's just a slight metallic whining that gets slightly louder under heavier throttle. I just wanted to be sure that it was normal. After driving it a little more I think some of the noise is from the stick rubbing on the adjustment bolts. I think I'll try to find some kind of rubber piece to put on the end of the bolts and see if that reduces it any.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Maybe your shift stops are a little to far out. The shift lever shouldn't be resting on them.

Thread Information