Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Feed Back On LS7 Clutch?

This is a discussion on Feed Back On LS7 Clutch? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by Hurley711 LS7 LS2 flywheel here with 360+ to the wheels and I like it. A little noisy ...

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    LS7 LS2 flywheel here with 360+ to the wheels and I like it. A little noisy when idling out of gear but nothing intolerable
    Is the ls2 flywheel lightened? does it make it rev a little faster? what material is it made out of? aluminum? also, did you install it yourself or did you have it done?
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    you have a sponsor link, etc that would help us out here. i've done google searches and have not come up with anything so far. i have GM part numbers for the master/slave cylinders to upgrade too...TIA
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

here ya go--- they have amazing deals on just about any part you can imagine. Not the fastest shipping but its worth the wait for the prices. They have it for $464.55 with shipping! They have rock bottom prices and then really high shipping, but it still comes out to be very cheap!

White
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    and why would he replace the slave....it was only the 98-00s that had problems..the 01-02 models had a redesigned slave ? so he is going to replace it with the same exact model ?
    I have an 2000 ss m6, would a 01-02 slave fit on my car. It may be a dumb question, but I don't know.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Power View Post
    I have an 2000 ss m6, would a 01-02 slave fit on my car. It may be a dumb question, but I don't know.
    yes the '01-'02 slave will work on your 2000.

White
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    yes the '01-'02 slave will work on your 2000.
    I looking to get a ls6 flywheel and clutch. Will I need anything else to go along with the new 01-02 slave?

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Power View Post
    I looking to get a ls6 flywheel and clutch. Will I need anything else to go along with the new 01-02 slave?
    you could also replace your pilot bearing. Its only like $10. It what the trans input shaft slides into.

White
    2000 SS Camaro

you could also replace your pilot bearing. Its only like $10. It what the trans input shaft slides into.
    ok, thanks

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    Is the ls2 flywheel lightened? does it make it rev a little faster? what material is it made out of? aluminum? also, did you install it yourself or did you have it done?
    no, its a heavy steel flywheel. It will probably rev slighly slower because steel is heavier than aluminum.

I did my install my self.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Thanks,I will

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

no, its a heavy steel flywheel. It will probably rev slighly slower because steel is heavier than aluminum.

I did my install my self.
    so the only advantage of the ls2 flywheel is durability?

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

This might be alittle off topic but i dont know what the difference is...Everyone is saying go with the LS7 some people say the spec 3+ should be the way to go but whats the difference between the 2 and why dont some people like the spec 3+ and everyone love the LS7??

White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    so the only advantage of the ls2 flywheel is durability?
    I was under the impression that you needed to get the LS2 flywheel in order for the LS7 clutch to fit properly when converting from a LS1 stock clutch...

Please correct me if that is wrong.. don't want to waste money if its not necessary.

PS.
    The clutch release bearing is more like 80$, not 10, and it has GM# 89060001.

black
    99 camrao

ls7 clutch

Thats the deal LS7 clutch PP & LS2 flywheel no other flywheel will work.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice View Post
    PS.
    The clutch release bearing is more like 80$, not 10, and it has GM# 89060001.
    thats not the part i was talking about.

i was talking about the pilot bearing part #14061685 - gm parts direct price $9.58

--and GottaHaveLS1 i got the LS2 flywheel because i had to match the LS7 clutch with the flywheel. (as others above have said)

White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

Sorry 99blueZ i misunderstood.
    Thanks for the number for the pilot bearing. Is there any point changing the clutch release bearing?

Anyone know what a TO bearing is? They ship it with spec clutches and i was just thinking maybe i should get this one new as well when i change to LS7 clutch.

Will an alignment tool be necessary and if so, how do i get one? Are they clutch specific?

Any other special tools required when changing to LS7 clutch, LS2 Flywheel and 02 slave cylinder?

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice View Post
    Sorry 99blueZ i misunderstood.
    Thanks for the number for the pilot bearing. Is there any point changing the clutch release bearing?

Anyone know what a TO bearing is? They ship it with spec clutches and i was just thinking maybe i should get this one new as well when i change to LS7 clutch.

Will an alignment tool be necessary and if so, how do i get one? Are they clutch specific?

Any other special tools required when changing to LS7 clutch, LS2 Flywheel and 02 slave cylinder?
    i wouldn't change the clutch release bearing unless you know yours is bad.

A throw out bearing is attached to the slave cylinder. Its all one piece. You should get a new slave cylinder since your have a '99. There is a better design that came on '01-'02 models. That is the one that you should get. Its a direct replacement.

The only special tools you need is a pilot bearing puller if you decide to change that. And you need a clutch alignment tool. It is specific for our trans. It is 26 spline tool. Its just a cheap plastic tool - maybe $5. A performance shop just gave me a free one, so i was lucky.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

[QUOTE=99blueZ;719137]thats not the part i was talking about.

i was talking about the pilot bearing part #14061685 - gm parts direct price $9.58

--and GottaHaveLS1 i got the LS2 flywheel because i had to match the LS7 clutch with the flywheel. (as others above have said)[/QUOTE

the ls7 clutch sounds reliable but i'd like to get a lightened flywheel when i have to replace everything so the motor will rev faster. Any recommendations other than the ls7. i heard spec isn't very reliable.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

^ how the hell did that happen?

Awaiting Activation
    i've read that a aluminum fidanza flywheel will work. And as far as the spec - i have heard many mixed reviews - but more negative. On another site i read about a few people who put in a LS7 when their spec 3 went out and they say the LS7 is a big improvement.

Black ASC#7564 May11,2001
    2001 Trans Am WS6

As far as the slave goes, Matt told me the slave cylinder comes with the throw out bearing, the clutch does not. The bearing should ALWAYS be replaced with the clutch.

"You should go ahead and replace the slave cylinder
    > as it comes with a
    > new throw out bearing."

I was going to buy the LS6 clutch since my car is all stock. I priced it two days ago at $368.00. I just got on line to order and they jacked the price up to $470.00.

That sucks. I will get the LS7 clutch now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information