Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Drill mod good idea?

This is a discussion on Drill mod good idea? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Ok guys I know this may sound stupid but I took the tail housing off my t56 before I'm dropping ...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ok guys I know this may sound stupid but I took the tail housing off my t56 before I'm dropping it into the car just to inspect the magnets and last gears, i did nothing else. I'm trying to put it back on and the housing slips on but stops about 1/4 of an inch before sitting flush onto the case.

I have the input shaft going through a hole in my workbench so I cant really turn it unless I pull it out and lay the transmission down. I'm thinking the tail housing wont sit all the way down because the gears arent meshing so should i start turning the input shaft to see if it'll sit or is there something else i'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    There is another mfg besides the Tick that does the same thing for a lot cheaper. Can't recall the mfg brand though. Someone else might know. Few people I know went that route and had good results.
    I use the Ram with great results, but you have to modify it.

Removed the C-clip to pull the inards out and drill a hole in the main body orifice and reassemble (can't remember the size off hand though). Then it pushes the same amount of fluid a Tick does for half the cost I also did the drill mod in the line as well to compliment it. Has worked flawless for the last 5-6 years, but the main goal I was after was the adjustability as the clutch just didn't release far enough and shifting was very sticky with the stock master. I prefer engagement near the top of pedal travel and I got it with an adjustable setup. These things should have been adjustable from the factory, like cars used to be.

I assume the tick comes with a new main line so the drill mod in the line isn't needed? Otherwise I'd recommend the drill mod on all of the 6 speed cars regardless of clutch setup to remove the sluggish clutch action.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I use the Ram with great results, but you have to modify it.

Removed the C-clip to pull the inards out and drill a hole in the main body orifice and reassemble (can't remember the size off hand though). Then it pushes the same amount of fluid a Tick does for half the cost I also did the drill mod in the line as well to compliment it. Has worked flawless for the last 5-6 years, but the main goal I was after was the adjustability as the clutch just didn't release far enough and shifting was very sticky with the stock master. I prefer engagement near the top of pedal travel and I got it with an adjustable setup. These things should have been adjustable from the factory, like cars used to be.

I assume the tick comes with a new main line so the drill mod in the line isn't needed? Otherwise I'd recommend the drill mod on all of the 6 speed cars regardless of clutch setup to remove the sluggish clutch action.
    Thanks jones the adjustability is def nice but not a deal breaker for me so for right now I just did the drill mod. Hopefully I'll know i a week or two how everything is working when the swap on the car is complete. And yes the tick actually comes with an even bigger m/c line that has no restriction in it so the drill mod isnt needed lol. Although since I'm using the stock style adjustable clutch I dont even think the tick will work for me after because according to most people the pressure plate adjusts to the master

Black
    2000 Trans Am

When my factory clutch went out I upgraded to the Z06(factory 2000 clutch slipped from day1), did the drill mod, and made the MC adjustable. And since installing the Hurst Billet Plus, I haven't had a single Transmission related problem.

Sent from Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk 2.
    2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

I'm still running the original MC with a new slave, LS7 clutch behind a new LS6. The first 500 miles the clutch was very "grabby". I took a drive up the coast and on the way back got stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic due to a construction project/ road repair. I think that helped to break in the clutch and after 14K miles I'm still very happy with it and haven't had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BadTA00 View Post
    When my factory clutch went out I upgraded to the Z06(factory 2000 clutch slipped from day1), did the drill mod, and made the MC adjustable. And since installing the Hurst Billet Plus, I haven't had a single Transmission related problem.

Sent from Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk 2.
    I assume you are talking about the original Z06 clutch (aka: LS6)? If so, that's the exact setup I have been running for years with drill mod and adjustable master, hurst shifter. Works great. I rarely race the car, primarily a driver for my wife, and she's fine with it. She wouldn't even drive the car until I made the clutch adjustable, she hated the stock pedal feel grabbing right off the floor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information