Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

DOT 5 clutch fluid

Just had my clutch fluid flushed out and put in DOT 5. HOPEFULLY this will solve my damn clutch pedal problem.

Anyone else run this fluid? I know a lot of you run the Valvoline synthetic DOT 3 and 4 fluid, but I opted for this. We shall see when I hit the strip on Saturday.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Update

The fluid helped out a bit but the pedal is still losing grab and is somewhat sticking to the floor. It is a lot better than it was before though. And it seems to rebound faster than it did before too. I guess now its, "hello new master cylinder!"

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

I'm in the same boat as you. I flushed out my fluid and it does work better but yea, the problem is still there.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by wultdat View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. I flushed out my fluid and it does work better but yea, the problem is still there.
    Yeah, and I am going to the track tomorrow and have no time to change anything else out. So wish me luck! I will update later and let you know how it goes with the clutch.

Are you running OEM fluid still? Or did you upgrade?

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Yeah, and I am going to the track tomorrow and have no time to change anything else out. So wish me luck! I will update later and let you know how it goes with the clutch.

Are you running OEM fluid still? Or did you upgrade?
    I'm using the Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 & 4 fluid. Oh, and good luck!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by wultdat View Post
    I'm using the Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 & 4 fluid. Oh, and good luck!
    Yeah I bought both the Valvoline 3/4 and the DOT5 fluid to see how they work. I ultimately decided to try the 5 due to the higher boiling point.

And thanks!

It has a higher boiling point because it's a synthetic fluid. You're not supposed to mix it with conventional fluid. I think you're going to be in for a rather large parts bill very soon?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Ten5TireRacer View Post
    It has a higher boiling point because it's a synthetic fluid. You're not supposed to mix it with conventional fluid. I think you're going to be in for a rather large parts bill very soon?
    DOT5? And I didn't mix it. The whole system was flushed out twice. I think I will be ok.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

DOT 5 is not endorsed by SAE, i dont know much about hydrolic fluids but if you want a better clutch, go with the drill mod, or a better clutch package. DOT 5 is too thick and refine, besides its silicone based. So mixing it, no matter how well you cleaned your old fluid will still cause your system to fail due to all the precipitation that will eventually corrode your lines just like a clogged artery . Hell using DOT 4 is taking a risk, but I use DOT 4 in my PTO and holds up well.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post
    DOT 5 is not endorsed by SAE, i dont know much about hydrolic fluids but if you want a better clutch, go with the drill mod, or a better clutch package. DOT 5 is too thick and refine, besides its silicone based. So mixing it, no matter how well you cleaned your old fluid will still cause your system to fail due to all the precipitation that will eventually corrode your lines just like a clogged artery . Hell using DOT 4 is taking a risk, but I use DOT 4 in my PTO and holds up well.
    Thanks for the info. I will get it flushed out again monday and replace it with Valvoline 3/4 synthetic. Probably will have to replace my master cylinder too

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

well not really, you didnt leave that in for a long time did you? I'd go with a better clutch package, in fact im looking for a clutch! lol i will be replacing the slave cylinder though.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

well not really, you didnt leave that in for a long time did you? I'd go with a better clutch package, in fact im looking for a clutch! lol i will be replacing the slave cylinder though.
    No, it's only been in for about 5 days now. I want to replace my master because of my damn clutch pedal sticking to the floor. Any ideas (besides the drill mod)?

If I have to replace my slave, I will be replacing my clutch as well with the LS7 one.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I just spoke with my transmission tech here, and he said there are no parts inside the clutch that can corrode due to the siliocone fluid. But alas, I will be changing back to the Valv synthetic and upgrading to an adjustable master cylinder to hopefully take care of this problem. And I dont think my slave is leaking, atleast it didnt seem that way when we flushed it.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Why is using DOT4 taking a risk?? DOT3 and DOT4 are merely specs that the fluid meets, hence the synthetic Valvoline DOT3/4 meets both specs and is therefore compatible with both fluids.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I just spoke with my transmission tech here, and he said there are no parts inside the clutch that can corrode due to the siliocone fluid. But alas, I will be changing back to the Valv synthetic and upgrading to an adjustable master cylinder to hopefully take care of this problem. And I dont think my slave is leaking, atleast it didnt seem that way when we flushed it.
    No the fluid wont corrode the lines but the condensation caused by it will.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Why is using DOT4 taking a risk?? DOT3 and DOT4 are merely specs that the fluid meets, hence the synthetic Valvoline DOT3/4 meets both specs and is therefore compatible with both fluids.
    DOT 4 Has a higher resistance value (temp and psi) than DOT 3. Say that by some reason Dot 4 fluid is aging well by the time DOT 4 would break down some clutch components would be long broken before the fluid. (i hope made sense lol) It would be easier to show than to explain.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

No the fluid wont corrode the lines but the condensation caused by it will.
    But arent they rubber lines? I really dont know, I just was under the impression that there were no metal lines.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

I'm pretty shure there is braided metal inside the plastic/rubber.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I'm pretty shure there is braided metal inside the plastic/rubber.
    Gotcha... well I hope it's not a big deal, I will be flushing it out again and putting in the Valvoline. As well as an adjustable master cylinder.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

it sounds like you need to flush out the slave. Air trap in the lines will not help you clutch pedal return.. If all that check out okay then I would take a look at the master.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information