Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Does it take a genius to get out my pilot bearing?

I have a 2001 WS6, just had the 6 spd rebuilt, and I have about 4 days of warm weather ahead of me to get my car together, im installing spec clutch,the D&D built tranny, pacesetter headers, and pacesetter ORY....well today I wanted to get my headers painted with VHT flat blk which I got accomplished, the second thing was remove my pilot bearing...I tried this trick that my buddy told me he used, stuff the back cavity with grease and shove the alignment tool in, well it didnt work...so I rented a puller, the puller fingers were too wide to even go into the bearing so I grinded them down a bit and got it in, and yanked and yanked and tried numerous things for 3 hours....so I called the guy that built my tranny, he said it can be a bit%& sometimes and to chisel a slot into the top of the bearing to relieve pressure and it may work, well it didnt, I am out of options, the bearing is mutilated anyway so has to come out....what can I do, ive been waiting 2 months for it to atleast get 60 degress so I can put my car back together, and I have 30 stitches in my damn hand I got 2 days ago to add to it.....maybe god doesnt want this car together right now I dunno????????? ANY IDEAS PLEASE??????????

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Removing the pilot bearing in LS motors can be a challenge for some reason. I had the same problems you are having with I did mine.

However, DO NOT try the grease method again. This method can be affective on other engines such as a traditional Chevy 350, but on LS motors you risk pushing out the freeze plug in the back of the crank into the oil galley. Luckily for you that didn't happen, but its a very possible consequence.

I rented the pilot bearing remover for mine, and just as you did, I also tried modifying it to grab onto the pilot bearing better. It took many, many tries, but eventually I managed to get it to budge and then eventually come out.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Removing the pilot bearing in LS motors can be a challenge for some reason. I had the same problems you are having with I did mine.

However, DO NOT try the grease method again. This method can be affective on other engines such as a traditional Chevy 350, but on LS motors you risk pushing out the freeze plug in the back of the crank into the oil galley. Luckily for you that didn't happen, but its a very possible consequence.

I rented the pilot bearing remover for mine, and just as you did, I also tried modifying it to grab onto the pilot bearing better. It took many, many tries, but eventually I managed to get it to budge and then eventually come out.
    yeah I ended up chiseling it and it finally moved back and after modding the tool it cam right out...thank god

Thread Information