RARE 99

clutch or trans noise

Need some Info. I have a 99 fierhawk vert 6 speed with 62,000 miles Recently I've been hearing a metal kinda sound when I push the clutch in or out, not real bad but but you can hear it,and not all the time, sounds more like a scraping sound. also when this happens it ishard to put the tranny in gear. Under hard 1st to 2nd shifts the clutch slips a little.I think it's time for a new clutch, any imput is appreciated.

White
    98 Trans Am

maybe try having your car sitting in idle, and in neutral, then put it in first and slowly let off the clutch. see if the car trys to die like expected or if it trys to roll a bit

RARE 99

Question

When I put the tran,s in 1st gear and let it out a little the car starts to move. Some times when I come to a slow stop and push the clutch in it will make a light metal to metal sound like wear indicator on a brake pad, and sometimes when i start to take off. Also the fluid in the slave cylinder is a blackish color.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by RARE 99 View Post
    When I put the tran,s in 1st gear and let it out a little the car starts to move. Some times when I come to a slow stop and push the clutch in it will make a light metal to metal sound like wear indicator on a brake pad, and sometimes when i start to take off. Also the fluid in the slave cylinder is a blackish color.
    The clutch fluid should be DOT4, which is a very dark blue color, so the "blackish color" you describe is probably normal.

The best way to test to see if your clutch is bad is to put it in high gear (5th or 6th) at a complete stop, with the engine idling - and come off the clutch quickly (don't drop it though). The engine should stall immediately. If it bogs down and then stalls, or keeps running at a lower RPM, then the clutch is toast.

The metal sound you hear sound like something with the hydraulic throwout bearing (slave cylinder). It may be starting to go (hance the bad sounds), and not releasing the clutch all the way when the pedal is to the floor.

I'd drop the trans and see whats up, if you let it go chances are it will just get worse, or possibly leave you stranded if it goes out completely at some point.

If the hydrauic fluid is dark thats a sign of concern.Mis information from the mis informed is just that . No normal master fluid is dark. Start by changing the master fluid and bleeding the system .

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird View Post
    If the hydrauic fluid is dark thats a sign of concern.Mis information from the mis informed is just that . No normal master fluid is dark. Start by changing the master fluid and bleeding the system .
    You need to stop critisizing people for offering help. Its getting really obnoxious.

If his sytem has DOT 4 fluid in it (mine does), then the fluid will be dark blue, which can appear to be a blackish color when looking at the surface of it from the reserveoir. If its dark blue then its fine, if it actually is black, then change it asap.

Before you go off on a wessy-fit tiraid get it straight. Fcars did not come from the factory with Dot4 fluid , they came with Dot 3 fluid. The manuals call for D0t3. Dot 3 is NOT blue , its light amber.Therefore it is NOT normal to have dark fluid. If it dark is due to a fluid change, he would know that because , like you did or had done, he changed it. It would appear it is you that have a problem being corrected .I don't know if its due to your panties being in a bunch or what. It is , in fact, mis information you offer no matter how you intend it. It is mis leading and not so helpful( mis help).Like searching for a gas leak with a match.So I suggest you un-wedge yourself and think more before you mis help.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird View Post
    Before you go off on a wessy-fit tiraid get it straight. Fcars did not come from the factory with Dot4 fluid , they came with Dot 3 fluid. The manuals call for D0t3. Dot 3 is NOT blue , its light amber.Therefore it is NOT normal to have dark fluid. If it dark is due to a fluid change, he would know that because , like you did or had done, he changed it. It would appear it is you that have a problem being corrected .I don't know if its due to your panties being in a bunch or what. It is , in fact, mis information you offer no matter how you intend it. It is mis leading and not so helpful( mis help).Like searching for a gas leak with a match.So I suggest you un-wedge yourself and think more before you mis help.
    Buddy I'm not going to get into another arguement because of your attitude problem.

My brake fluid as well as clutch fluid is DOT 4 - whether someone switched over the clutch fluid from DOT 3, I don't know. I merely suggested that it could be DOT 4, since its dark blue. Obviously DOT 3 is not.

I reported you to the mods, your posts are totally asenine.

Thanks . For once you got your facts right. Feel better going to mom?

Thread Information