SILVER
    1998 Z28

Clutch, T56, or both????

I have a 98z with 122k. I have had it since it had 20k in 99 and assume the clutch is factory. When I bought the car I worked 3rd shift and every cold winter morning 3rd gear would grind no matter what I done and only on cold mornings. Know with 122k, paid for and college paid for I'm looking to do some mods, but first I'm starting with the drive tran.

It sometimes grinds 2nd but mostly 3rd when driving normal (for me that is). Also at times it doesn't want to go into 3rd or is hard to shift. I like to shift at higher rpm's than some and have found if i slowly shift into 3rd I usually don't have any problems. When I decided to give it hell and speed shift (with clutch) it has a minor grinding sound shifting gears, almost like a scraping sound. And when I'm stopped and shift into neutral and let off clutch I hear a rattling or knocking sound coming from the clutch.

Finally the question?!?!? Could this be only the clutch or does the T56 needs rebuild also? Some more info is that it still has the 98 master, no drill mod, and the pedal has never sticked. Hell, the clutch pedal still feels ok and has bite left, it's not hard to press but it never has been in the last 100k. Granted the obvious that a new clutch is due, I'm just wondering if a t56 rebuild is in order also. I would like any opinions too on what clutch to go with, my goal is to have around 500 RWHP one day. It will never be a drag car and I want a streetable clutch.

I have searched the forums and still don't have a clear understanding. The car hasn't been rode too hard and most of mileage is highway (granted I had to dust a few modded mustangs and even SS's when I got it but I live in a small town and after that I rarely was challenged except when in the city pumping gas occasionally some young boy in his mustang would keep driving by revving up and piss me off) anyway, I'm just trying to figure out my budget and I honestly can not trust any tranny guy where I'm from. Thanks for any input!!

pewter
    2000 ss maro

Syncronizer Man,replace The Old T56 Or Rebuild It.i Had That Problem.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Well first of all the major problem ur havin with ur 3rd gear at high rpms is because of not having the drill mod done. That is what that stupid inline restriction was made to do. Now for ur tranny u should reallly take a look at
    t56rebuilds.com or do a search on that. I have found some pretty good prices on those nice rebuilt trannys. I found one on ebay that was pretty pricy about $3700 but i would pay that for the rebuilt tranny if i had the money. You are just gonna have to search around and get some price quotes, alot of rebuild sites make u send in your trannies core to them though.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Thanks,

That was what I was thinking but noy hoping it though. I never thought not doing the drill mod would have been a big problem since it didn't always do it. I guess a newer model master and drill mod will be in order as well as clutch and rebuild of tranny. Damn there goes my turbo for a while. Know to figure out what type clutch setup I need. Thanks again.

Thread Information