Results 1 to 14 of 14

clutch sticks to the floor

This is a discussion on clutch sticks to the floor within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I have a 2001 WS6 Trans Am. I just had a mild cam and heads installed putting down a little ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    19

    black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    clutch sticks to the floor

    I have a 2001 WS6 Trans Am. I just had a mild cam and heads installed putting down a little over 400rwhp. Under hard acceleration, my clutch pedal sticks to the floor and the car will not go into gear. Any ideas? Thank you

  2. #2
    Member NJ2002WS.6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    36
    Posts
    105
    Blog Entries
    1

    Metallic Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

    I had a similar problem in October but it wasn't while the car was moving, it was generally happeing after I started the car. It turned out that my slave cylinder was cracked and I had no fluid. While they were under the car they saw the the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel needed to be replaced as well. But My car had the same symtoms, clutch sticking to the floor, car won't go in gear. I can't say that is your problem, but I would say check your brake fluid reserve container first. If it is bone dry then that can be your problem.

  3. #3
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    sounds like you def need a clutch. i had the same problem. my car only had 17k but when i shifted hard into thrid my pedal would stick and it wouldnt go into gear. had to have the flywheel, disc, and slave replaced. these cars have hydraulic clutches and can cause some problems. if i am not mistaken the clutch shares a master cylinder with the brakes, so if you pump your brake pedal the clutch should become stiffer. but either way, clutches dont last forever, especially in sports cars with perf upgrades. oh, and if you were wondering, $1600 for everything at the dealer....

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    19

    black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    I checked my fluids, and all look like they're fine. The only time it sticks to the floor and I can't shift is when I'm in the high rpms where i make peak horsepower. It never happened before I installed my heads/cam.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Danger731's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    6,712
    I have the same issue, it may be the slave but I'm no tranny expert.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

    2009 CTS4 Ice Black

    2013 1500 Silverado Z71

    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

  6. #6
    Missing 4 Cylinders BULLET_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denton (Dallas)
    Posts
    10,577

    Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

    you need to do the drill mod... it should fix everything... look it up at install university or something... your hydraulics have a restricted section causing it to stick... its a nice write up and all you gotta do is this simple free deal and you should be alright

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    19

    black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    you need to do the drill mod... it should fix everything... look it up at install university or something... your hydraulics have a restricted section causing it to stick... its a nice write up and all you gotta do is this simple free deal and you should be alright

    already did the drill mod. it helped some, but the problem is still there. two different "car" people feel my pressure plate can't handle all the hp i'm throwing at it. If that's the case, I may as well replace the entire clutch assembly.
    so....my next question is, what brand of clutch would you guys recommend? my car is a DD with some time at the track

  8. #8
    Missing 4 Cylinders BULLET_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denton (Dallas)
    Posts
    10,577

    Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

    Quote Originally Posted by stealth1281 View Post
    already did the drill mod. it helped some, but the problem is still there. two different "car" people feel my pressure plate can't handle all the hp i'm throwing at it. If that's the case, I may as well replace the entire clutch assembly.
    so....my next question is, what brand of clutch would you guys recommend? my car is a DD with some time at the track
    spec... spec stage 2 should do good

  9. #9
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    if that flywheel and pressure plate are in good shape, then they should be able to handle 500hp no problem. how many miles are on your car? still sounds to me like you need a clutch. this is the same thing that happened to me, like i said you couldnt notice it unless under a big load. city driving it was totally fine, until one day on the highway the pedal went to the floor and never came back up. i thought it was a hydraulic issue till i saw the bent fingers on the pressure plate, missing teeth on the flywheel and the treads coming through the disc. obvioulsy the owner before me (a woman) couldnt drive a stick. and if you still dont beleive me, ask how many guys have 400+ hp and still have their factory clutch. and another thing to remember, a stiffer competition clutch will be a bitch for daily driving.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    19

    black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    if that flywheel and pressure plate are in good shape, then they should be able to handle 500hp no problem. how many miles are on your car? still sounds to me like you need a clutch. this is the same thing that happened to me, like i said you couldnt notice it unless under a big load. city driving it was totally fine, until one day on the highway the pedal went to the floor and never came back up. i thought it was a hydraulic issue till i saw the bent fingers on the pressure plate, missing teeth on the flywheel and the treads coming through the disc. obvioulsy the owner before me (a woman) couldnt drive a stick. and if you still dont beleive me, ask how many guys have 400+ hp and still have their factory clutch. and another thing to remember, a stiffer competition clutch will be a bitch for daily driving.

    My car only has 37,000 miles on it. From what i've read, the stock pressure plate can only handle 400rwhp. Since I need to replace my pressure plate, i'm just going to replace the whole clutch assembly.
    I was thinking of going with a z06 clutch, but what do you guys think of the LS7 clutch package? They say it feels like stock yet grabs a lot better and can hold much more power. $399 for the clutch pp and new flywheel

  11. #11
    Senior Member Danger731's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    6,712
    I would stick with a GM product , the LS7 package is the way to go.

  12. #12
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    i agree, stick with gm.

  13. #13
    Member TACE02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    41
    Posts
    568

    ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by stealth1281 View Post
    already did the drill mod. it helped some, but the problem is still there. two different "car" people feel my pressure plate can't handle all the hp i'm throwing at it. If that's the case, I may as well replace the entire clutch assembly.
    so....my next question is, what brand of clutch would you guys recommend? my car is a DD with some time at the track

    LOL, sorry had to laugh cause everyone always says "Do the Drill Mod". Personally I think that is a joke, fix what is actually causing the problem and the drill mod is not needed. I have been over 400 RWHP for over 2 years now, with plenty of track passes, and do not have the drill mod. I did however have the same exact problem as you do now right after the H/C install on my car with a brand new Center Force clutch (POS) installed at the same time. The fix was to change the clutch and slave. You definately want to go with a clutch that can truly hold the power. I would personally suggest a Textralia, course I may be a little biased on that opinion (has served my purposes greatly). LS7 clutches seem to be most peoples clutch of choice though. Course they are cheap and are used in higher HP cars, so why not.

  14. #14
    Senior Member JonB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,458

    Black
    2005 GTO

    Check my sticky out at the top of this section called sticking clutch pedal write-up should help you out.

    Sticking clutch pedal write-up


    Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    LOL, sorry had to laugh cause everyone always says "Do the Drill Mod". Personally I think that is a joke, fix what is actually causing the problem and the drill mod is not needed.
    I agree the drill mod is not the solution. It has helped some but it 99.9% of the time is not the solution for a sticking clutch pedal. I still recomend the drill mod, it made a huge difference in the way my car shifted. It was much smother at normal rpm shifts and much much easier at high rpm shifts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. GTO clutch on the floor
    By 97formulaws6 in forum GTO
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 03:08 PM
  2. Clutch pedal sticks
    By buswwa in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 12:23 PM
  3. clutch pedal sticks
    By txman4362 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 04:07 PM
  4. 02 SS clutch pedal goes to floor and sticks
    By CoolAid in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2007, 04:26 PM
  5. Clutch pedal sticks and gears grind sometimes... Help!
    By sk8runeg in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 02:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •