Black
    2000 Z28 M6 Y3F

clutch shuttering

I have a 2000 Z28 6speed Y3F I just bought about 3weeks ago.

When the engine is around 210 and I am in Atlanta traffic the clutch shutters when letting out on the clutch slowly in first gear.
    The car has 113,000 miles on it and the transmission does not appear to have ever been removed based on that it is greasy.

Even thought it shutters it doesn't slip,The clutch starts grabbing with the clutch pedal close to the floor like it is suppose to.Also when I take off hard it doesn't shutter.

I owned a 1999 Z28 hardtop 6speed from 1999 to 2001 and it never shuttered and I gave it heII ever single day.

I have read that some aftermarket replacement clutches may have shuttering when taking off in first gear.

So my question is should I be worried about this? or should I just go on and replace it.

Thanks

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My guess is you probably have an aftermarket Spec clutch in your vehicle. Mine does the same thing at take off. It's a common occurrence with Spec clutches.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6 Y3F

Thats what I was thinking ,but wasn't sure because the transmission isn't clean, but everyone is different and if it was me replacing the clutch I would have cleaned the transmission before putting it back under the car.

Thanks

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by incbed View Post
    Thats what I was thinking ,but wasn't sure because the transmission isn't clean, but everyone is different and if it was me replacing the clutch I would have cleaned the transmission before putting it back under the car.

Thanks
    Yepp, probly aftermarket clutch, although some people arent into the cleaning deal, might also have a leak somewhere causing the build-up "grease".
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

This is common, especially on aftermarket clutches that get hot sitting in traffic.

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

BTW, did you get any info from the previous owner on what clutch was in it?

white

I had the same experience with a spec clutch in my 89 gt. that was horrible. I will never own a spec clutch again

Black
    2000 Z28 M6 Y3F

I bought it from a small car lot that had it advertised on Autotrader they had no Idea about the car in the first place much less know anything about it.

In the Ad they had it listed as a 2000 Camaro Z28 T-Tops $5,995.
    So I drive out there with my wife and when I saw it I was a delightfully surprised to see that it was a Black Y3F Z28 6speed with Neutral leather interior all (BONE stock) other than somewhere down the line someone had put show glow under it, which was the very first thing to be removed from it when I got home.

I test drove it with one of the salesman and about a mile down the road a cop pulls us over and asks where is my tag,,well the salesman had the dealers tag in his hand and the cop told us to be carefull.
    Well during the test drive I noticed the shuttering which I was thinking I could use as an excuse to get the price lower cause I could just replace it my self if it needed it.

So I ended up buying the car for $5,200 which I feel was an excellent deal.

But to make this story interesting the owner of the car lot calls me the next day around lunch time telling me I had to return the car because it was suppose to be listed for $7,995 instead of $5,995.
    I said I am sorry sir but I have already paid your salesman $5,200 cash and I have already taken the bill of sale with your salesman and my signature and it is dated with the sales price of $5,200 and also I already got my tag for it first thing this morning.
    I said i'm sorry but I am not returning it the sale was final yesterday.
    So then he try's to threaten me by saying if I don't return it or pay the difference then he will report it stollen I said that is fine sir because I have the bill of sale that was agreed upon and paid in full so do what you think you have to do ,but you know as well as I do that their is nothing you can do about this other than firing your saleman that sold me the car and whoever listed the car on Autotrader for you.

And I have not heard from him since and I received the title in my name two weeks ago.

His loss was my gain for sure.

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

Quote Originally Posted by incbed View Post
    I bought it from a small car lot that had it advertised on Autotrader they had no Idea about the car in the first place much less know anything about it.

In the Ad they had it listed as a 2000 Camaro Z28 T-Tops $5,995.
    So I drive out there with my wife and when I saw it I was a delightfully surprised to see that it was a Black Y3F Z28 6speed with Neutral leather interior all (BONE stock) other than somewhere down the line someone had put show glow under it, which was the very first thing to be removed from it when I got home.

I test drove it with one of the salesman and about a mile down the road a cop pulls us over and asks where is my tag,,well the salesman had the dealers tag in his hand and the cop told us to be carefull.
    Well during the test drive I noticed the shuttering which I was thinking I could use as an excuse to get the price lower cause I could just replace it my self if it needed it.

So I ended up buying the car for $5,200 which I feel was an excellent deal.

But to make this story interesting the owner of the car lot calls me the next day around lunch time telling me I had to return the car because it was suppose to be listed for $7,995 instead of $5,995.
    I said I am sorry sir but I have already paid your salesman $5,200 cash and I have already taken the bill of sale with your salesman and my signature and it is dated with the sales price of $5,200 and also I already got my tag for it first thing this morning.
    I said i'm sorry but I am not returning it the sale was final yesterday.
    So then he try's to threaten me by saying if I don't return it or pay the difference then he will report it stollen I said that is fine sir because I have the bill of sale that was agreed upon and paid in full so do what you think you have to do ,but you know as well as I do that their is nothing you can do about this other than firing your saleman that sold me the car and whoever listed the car on Autotrader for you.

And I have not heard from him since and I received the title in my name two weeks ago.

His loss was my gain for sure.
    HAHAHAH. That is awesome.

Where in Georgia are you?

Black
    2000 Z28 M6 Y3F

I live in Braselton just off 85 the same exit as Road Atlanta and Year one

Thread Information