Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Clutch Questions

This is a discussion on Clutch Questions within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Sounds like dirty fluid may be part of the problem. When was the last time you flushed you system ?...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Sounds like dirty fluid may be part of the problem. When was the last time you flushed you system ?
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Sounds like dirty fluid may be part of the problem. When was the last time you flushed you system ?
    OOps....You busted me.. It isnt the clearest, to be honest ive never had it flushed..Ive replaced the cloudy fluid with new fluid by way of turkey baister.. but no actual flush Ive read some posts on this and isnt it kinda a bitch to do w/o a Tick and ls7 set up or?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    OOps....You busted me.. It isnt the clearest, to be honest ive never had it flushed..Ive replaced the cloudy fluid with new fluid by way of turkey baister.. but no actual flush Ive read some posts on this and isnt it kinda a bitch to do w/o a Tick and ls7 set up or?
    The turkey baster method will work but you have to keep after it. Pull out what dirty fluid you can and refill, I like dot 4. push the clutch pedal in and out 25 times then pull out the fluid again. Do this three times once a week and you should be ok in three weeks. After that you can do a cycle once a month for maintenence. Not the best way to do a flush but it will work without the hassles of a normal flush. The fluid should look like honey, if it is black then you may have more problems.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    The turkey baster method will work but you have to keep after it. Pull out what dirty fluid you can and refill, I like dot 4. push the clutch pedal in and out 25 times then pull out the fluid again. Do this three times once a week and you should be ok in three weeks. After that you can do a cycle once a month for maintenence. Not the best way to do a flush but it will work without the hassles of a normal flush. The fluid should look like honey, if it is black then you may have more problems.
    The easiest way to do it is known as the jmd method. Get a 90 degree spark plug boot and go to lowes and buy some clear rubber tubing that fits airtight inside of it... Now go underneath the car and place the hose in a jar ad the boot on the OPEN bleeder screw. With one person pouring fresh fluid into the reservoir pump the pedal. This will push all new fluid through the system once you see clear fluid come out. Quickly remove tw boot and tighten the screw.. It's much easier and faster than the turkey vbaster and does not allow air in the system if done correctly.

This method also works to bleed a new system instead of putting the hose on a jar simply route it back into the reservoir and pump the pedal this will force all the air in the slave to go into the resevoir once you see no more air bubbles just a solid fluid flow your done!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

[QUOTE=2002ssslp;. The fluid should look like honey, if it is black then you may have more problems.[/QUOTE]

Its not full on black like dirty engine oil- you can still see through it, BUT there is some black floating around in it -just like my brake fluid- do you think i have a big problem? Like...?.............. I have no leaks that i can see..none on the parts,none on the garage floor etc...Im not having to add any It just seems to get murky easily..........

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Its not full on black like dirty engine oil- you can still see through it, BUT there is some black floating around in it -just like my brake fluid- do you think i have a big problem? Like...?.............. I have no leaks that i can see..none on the parts,none on the garage floor etc...Im not having to add any It just seems to get murky easily..........
    if its just barely dirt no it probably wont cause issues. did you get the tick in yet? most likely that will solve the issue. and ill also replace most of the fluid at the same time so it eliminates a couple of things, if the problems continues after the master install then look at the slave or possibly clutch

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^ No to the Tick not yet..but as to the fluid being contaminated, if there is no leaks were is it getting the contamination from?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

^ No to the Tick not yet..but as to the fluid being contaminated, if there is no leaks were is it getting the contamination from?
    its actually very simple lol. the t56 on fbodys is not vented at the bellhousing like most new ones are. so all the clutch dust that wears off the disk just floats around in the bellhousing after time the dust works its way past the small seals in the slave and bam you have black fluid. if you vent the bellhousing by taking the small plastic shields off by the block and starter you will notice it stays cleaner much longer.

How about the seals just fall about from the dot 3 because its aggressive. Houdini could not get dust by a lip seal without leakage.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    How about the seals just fall about from the dot 3 because its aggressive. Houdini could not get dust by a lip seal without leakage.
    say what you want but an ls shop over on tech took a z06 and installed a new clutch and slave in it and waited for the fluid to darken. they then replaced the fluid and vented the bellhousing by removing the plastic shields and the fluid was still clean thousands of miles after...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information