Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clutch Questions

When the car is going full balls out (race mode) does it take more effort for the slave to disengage it? I have this problem and its not so much hammering the clutch pedal it just wont shift when the revvs are up. If its the orriface in the hose I am not sure how that causes this problem

second, when comming up to a very red light is it bad to just bull it into neutral vs. down shifting. I would think it would save wear and tear on the tranny by pulling it into neutral.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

The orifice slows the fluid down going and coming. When you mash the clutch pedal down it slows the fliud going to the slave so the clutch will engage smoother instead of all of a sudden. It works the same way when you take your foot off the clutch. It slows the fluid coming from the slave and the clutch takes a little longer to disengage.

It is the same thing as pushing your clutch in slow and releasing it slow. Just not as severe.

After I did the drill mod on my '02 it actually slowed me down at the track at first. I was grabbing 2nd so hard instead of the little chrip I was getting before, I would break it loose. It hurt my times until I got better with the clutch.

BTW I had only had a few times I thought the orifice has hurting me. I would have never pulled the line just to do the drill mod. I did it when I was changeing out my master.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

With the Tick Master that you now have you'll not have to worry about it.

Cutch

I tried something different, I wound the car up and didnt mash the clutch. When the revs were up in the air I tried to slowly and sloftly clutch it into a gear. Wouldnt go into any gear. Could it be a tranny problem?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

how many miles on it?

Common T-56 transmission failures are: syncros and 2-3 fork.

clutch

It shifts ok normal driving, stick never pops out BUT under racing conditions I cant shift it.

Does the T-56 use regular Dextron III

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Start by checking your hydraulic fluid level and make sure it's clean. Sounds hydraulic related to me since it's only happening at high RPM. Could also be a weak synchro, but I'd start with the cheapest thing first.

You aren't getting enough fluid pressure to disengage the clutch is my first guess.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    It shifts ok normal driving, stick never pops out BUT under racing conditions I cant shift it.

Does the T-56 use regular Dextron III
    Yes on the Dextron III..and not sure about yours but i have the problem @ 3rd only!! Like scott above said its the T-56 !! Mine will miss on a fast shift but fine on a cruiser shift...If i concentrate sometimes i can get it into the notch but its still a bitch!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My T-56 shifted fine at WOT in 3rd for 9 years until I put 500rwhp to the ground last summer. Now it is notchy, but I can still shift it at 6300RPM. It's the hydraulic system not being able to fully disengage the clutch. I'll be upgrading to a Tick MC and I'm confident this will fully remove this issue. My T-56 has been built by RPM Transmissions so all of the internal components have already been upgraded.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My T-56 shifted fine at WOT in 3rd for 9 years until I put 500rwhp to the ground last summer. Now it is notchy, but I can still shift it at 6300RPM. It's the hydraulic system not being able to fully disengage the clutch. I'll be upgrading to a Tick MC and I'm confident this will fully remove this issue. My T-56 has been built by RPM Transmissions so all of the internal components have already been upgraded.
    Really? So you think its more of a hydraulic pressure issue then ? I have the factory T-56 and MC.. that would be cool if after i do a Tick upgrade it solves the problem!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Really? So you think its more of a hydraulic pressure issue then ? I have the factory T-56 and MC.. that would be cool if after i do a Tick upgrade it solves the problem!!
    Yep. It's a known issue with these cars. If it grinds when going into gear or pops out of gear I'd be more inclined to say it's a transmission problem. Those symptoms are indicative of bad/damaged synchronizer keys.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Yep. It's a known issue with these cars. If it grinds when going into gear or pops out of gear I'd be more inclined to say it's a transmission problem. Those symptoms are indicative of bad/damaged synchronizer keys.
    Oh no, no grinding or pop outs it just doesnt seem to want to get into the notch! The original trans failed (covered under warranty-cant remember if it was orig.warranty or my extended?)) it WAS popping out of second gear,Instead of rebuilding it they just repalced it with a new one...no other problems since.It only happens when im pullin hard and try a fast shift?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's what mine is doing and me, a few friends, and a reputable builder of LS1's all think it's clutch/hydraulic related.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

That's what mine is doing and me, a few friends, and a reputable builder of LS1's all think it's clutch/hydraulic related.
    So hopefully a Tick would help eliminate that mutha of a problem! Cause to me it IS a problem especially if you miss 3rd @ high revs..dont need to throw a rod in the engine or anythin!,,and the other guy----generally another Maro or stang pass you buy like your slow ! That sucks!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I never miss 3rd...it's just a little tough to shift it as hard and fast as I'm used to doing. It goes in still...I just have to be extra careful.

What shifter are you using?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

I never miss 3rd...it's just a little tough to shift it as hard and fast as I'm used to doing. It goes in still...I just have to be extra careful.

What shifter are you using?
    The one i ordered with the car the Hurst short throw.I was thinking that that was the problem and was gonna get a Pro 5.0 but on other threads on this issue it was iffy some on here liked it some didnt.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

yeah the way your describing it about it not being'' as fast as you like to shift ''is exactly how i feel as if the linkage or whatever arent able to keep up with my fast reflexes to shift?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Get a different shifter if you have the stock unit. It doesn't have positive stops, which when shifting hard, can damage the transmission.

Sticking with hydraulic related for now.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Get a different shifter if you have the stock unit. It doesn't have positive stops, which when shifting hard, can damage the transmission.

Which are you using? Like i said ive already read the threads on the 5.0 verses the (other brand i cant remember now) some members like the 5.0 some dont so?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post

Which are you using? Like i said ive already read the threads on the 5.0 verses the (other brand i cant remember now) some members like the 5.0 some dont so?
    MGW and Pro 5.0 are the most popular. I have the Hurst Billet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information