Thread: clutch problem?

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

clutch problem?

So I was driving on the expressway yesterday and I decided to get on it. I dropped to third and started to go. I got through fourth and was shifting into fifth and noticed the clutch was super soft. It almost felt as if there was no fluid. So I obviously stopped going fast and put the car in neutral. I pumped the clutch a few times and the resistance came back. The clutch feels fine now but I am worried that it is starting to go bad. I replaced the clutch once already and have the ls6 clutch. The clutch doesn't feel like its slipping at all either so I have no idea what the problem could be. Is it going bad or whats the problem?

Lubricant
    Quote Originally Posted by sirenformula350 View Post
    So I was driving on the expressway yesterday and I decided to get on it. I dropped to third and started to go. I got through fourth and was shifting into fifth and noticed the clutch was super soft. It almost felt as if there was no fluid. So I obviously stopped going fast and put the car in neutral. I pumped the clutch a few times and the resistance came back. The clutch feels fine now but I am worried that it is starting to go bad. I replaced the clutch once already and have the ls6 clutch. The clutch doesn't feel like its slipping at all either so I have no idea what the problem could be. Is it going bad or whats the problem?
    Check the fluid in the slave cylinder.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I already did that and its full. It looks really dirty though almost black. Think thats the problem? If so how would I go about flushing the old fluid out?

The black color is a tell tale to let you know the master cylinder is goin bad. The master cylinder emmits black color on deterioration. It will leak by and get air in the line. I'm dealing with the same issue. You can use a mighty vac to help if it gets worse, do a SEARCH. I think its a 60 dollar do it yourself or 160 dollar dealer fix. I just mighty vac'd mine about 2 months ago.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

aw that sucks! Well I guess its time to start looking. Thanks
    Last edited by sirenformula350; 03-22-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Black
    2005 GTO

Yep black fluid is the master. My fluid was dirty so I decided to flush it all out. Within a day the fluid was black again, changed the master about 3 weeks ago and the fluid still looks brand new.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Yep black fluid is the master. My fluid was dirty so I decided to flush it all out. Within a day the fluid was black again, changed the master about 3 weeks ago and the fluid still looks brand new.
    did you just go with the factory one or upgrade? The reason I'm asking is I'm not sure if I should just get a replacement or upgrade it.

Black
    2005 GTO

Just go with factory gm. Check out fred beans there a sponsor here they had the best price I could find. Most people seem to recomend the stock gm, people seem to have problems with the adjustable ones. The ram adjustable is basically a stock gm that is adjustable. The mcloed is an upgrade but about more than twice the price and again people run into problems with them as well. Stick with a new stocker.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Just go with factory gm. Check out fred beans there a sponsor here they had the best price I could find. Most people seem to recomend the stock gm, people seem to have problems with the adjustable ones. The ram adjustable is basically a stock gm that is adjustable. The mcloed is an upgrade but about more than twice the price and again people run into problems with them as well. Stick with a new stocker.
    Sounds good thanks a lot! How about the slave cylinder though. It says on the thunder racing site that it is recommended that you upgrade to the 2001+ style GM slave cylinder because its a newer design. Any recommendations on this and what is so different about the design?

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Sounds like the Clutch Master Cyl

Sounds like the Clutch Master Cyl. as mentioed. I had the same problem and a new one took care of the problem. I ordered from Fred Beans. When I read up on the subject prior to ordering found that the pre 2001 had a known manufacturing problem (weak internals) and 2001-2002 had the latest and supposed better cyl. Can't recall the part numbers at the moment but Freds was selling the latest GM verison when I ordered. Good luck
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by sirenformula350 View Post
    Sounds good thanks a lot! How about the slave cylinder though. It says on the thunder racing site that it is recommended that you upgrade to the 2001+ style GM slave cylinder because its a newer design. Any recommendations on this and what is so different about the design?
    A new slave is not a must at this point. Most usually wait untill its time to replace the clutch to replace the slave since the tranny has to come out to replace it. From what I understand all master's and slave's that you buy now are all the 01+. Not really sure on the difference but they are suppose to be better.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks its been a very informative thread.

Thread Information