Clutch Pedal not returning to top

This is a discussion on Clutch Pedal not returning to top within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; 2000 Trans Am After holding clutch in for more than 20 seconds, clutch pedal does not return to the top. ...

Red
    2000 TA conv

Thumbs down Clutch Pedal not returning to top

2000 Trans Am

After holding clutch in for more than 20 seconds, clutch pedal does not return to the top. Clutch throw ends up being pretty short if I don't toe it out or pump it up. Plenty of fluid in reservoir (but system needs a flush). I suspect the master cylinder. Do the master cylinders have a history of failing? Any suggestions before I get started?

I drive her easy and best bet is that it's not an overheat/boiling fluid problem.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

All componets go bad in are clutch hydralic systems could possibly slave cylinder also bleed the system first and replace with good fluid I think there is a sticky on this subject

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Bleed it. take a turkey baister and suck out all fluid, then refill with new fluid, then beed the system. remember to keep that fluid filled up while bleeding. I cant remember if there is a return spring on the pedal, but see if there is and see if it is streched or has something caught in it. If I remember corectly the hydraulic clutch is all one unit and not individual components. Master, line and slave is sold together as a sealed unit.

Red
    2000 TA conv

Thanks for the inputs. Drove the car on the bad master cylinder for a while and finally replaced it this past weekend. Hardest part was pulling the roll pin out of the master cylinder to release the braided line going to slave. Used a piece of wire from a thick safety pin. Bent the end into a tight hook and pulled it with needle nose vise grips.

silver
    2002 ss camaro

my clutch did the same.. i got in pushed in the clutch to start car and car and clutch wouldnt release from the floor... after messing with it and pumping it, it finally returned.. in short.. i had a bunch of things go wrong.,, bad slave cylinder, throw out bearing., needed new clutch and fly wheel and the input shaft of transmission was warped.. but i did drive mine hard too

metallic purple
    1998 Z28

hey iv got a 98 z with a mcleod street twin having an issue with it getting stuck have way of tha floor ,but i take my shoe under tha pedal and it pops right up. iv bled it but havnt tried changing tha fluid, but cluch feels increadable. it also has a mcleod slave cylinder . so maybe changing tha fluid will help

Thread Information