Clutch is odd

This is a discussion on Clutch is odd within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Hi all, I have 2000 WS6 with 6MT. 70000 miles on odo. A cat back and the SLP air lid ...

navy blue matalic
    2000 TA

Clutch is odd

Hi all,

I have 2000 WS6 with 6MT. 70000 miles on odo. A cat back and the SLP air lid are on it. Never raced.
    A clutch is odd. When the car is cold, clutch pedal is normal stiffness. After it get hotter, it becomes hard. Say, left home and get a high way for 30 minutes, it gets hard. Or, drive to local Walmart in hot day, came home (still pedal is normal, and sitting in my garage for 1 hour, it becomes hard.
    There is no slip issue. Shift is OK. Maybe, little bit hard shift into 1st gear when it stops. About 6 month ago, the master cylinder is replaced to new one, because fluid is leaked out from there.
    Do anybody have any idea? I am going to have 2400 miles cross country trip in the end of this month. I want to figure out what the matter before I hit the road.

Thank you.
    Takefumi

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Might be time for a new Slave cylinder. Also has your clutch ever been replaced? 70k is about the time they are due. Now I had mine make it to 113k but that was because the original owner baby the hell out of it.

Even if you have no plans to race in your future I'd still recommend a LS7 Clutch Kit from KYSpeed. Mark can help you out and answer any questions you might have. If you do replace the clutch stick with a GM Slave cylinder.

navy blue matalic
    2000 TA

Thank you for a coment.
    My clutch is still original. Never replaced, yet.
    Previous ownwer (first owner) of mine might be same as yours. He never raced, and was driving it as old lady. But, you are right. Engage point is way up lately. It seems to needs new clutch.
    I was expecting that it would last to 100k miles.... My clutch work skill must be poor.

But, I stilll don't see why I got the symptom (getting harder after warmed up.

To replace slave cylinder, trans mission has to be removed, right? If so, it's time to clutch job. Over $1500 for parts and labor. Ouch!
    Well, I will go to LS7 or LS6 clutch. Will both be fit without any modification?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

The hardening symptom I haven't heard of before. Maybe your fluid has been "cooked" meaning it's lost its viscosity. Also you might want to look and see if your hydraulic clutch line that comes off the master cylinder is under the heat shield that is suppose to be in place next to the point where the exhaust/cats curve to run under the bottom of the car. If you are missing it, the CATS/exhaust manifold could be cooking the fluid.

Also a nightmare scenario here (it does happen and it happen to me last yr) You have a dumbass "mechanic" (I don't label all of them with this, but there are some that use that title that have no business dealing with anything mechanical) that doesn't read the cap and puts in ATF instead of DOT III like it states. It took about 6 months for me to discover it. In my case I felt like I didn't bleed the system enough so I took it to a Midas shop. 6 months later the rubber thing in the master expanded to 3X's it normal size and the pedal became real soft along with the slave starting to leak. I raised serious hell and go them to cover the parts. I had to replace the Master/Slave/and Hydrualic hose.

LS6 clutch ? you must mean the Z06 clutch. (I do not know if it will fit. I've read that some cars in 01-02 did come with that clutch. not 100% sure)

I'm running the LS7 - it's good up to 550 HP, I forget the torque numbers but they are respectable. You will feel a huge difference over a stock one. I got mine from Mark at KYSpeed.com (Sponsor). He was very helpful.

The kit comes with a new fly wheel, clutch pressure plate and disk for $500.

Here's a link:
    http://kyspeed.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=512

I've did the install myself but I also had access to a lift bay. Took me about 7 hrs because it was my first time. Now that I've had the tranny down 2 more times since then I can have it all (tranny, clutch and BH) off in about 1 1/2 hr from the time the car if lifted up in the air with my 16 yr old son helping me. The really big PITA and time consuming is bleeding the system once your done. It is possible to do in your garage but it would be a real bitch to accomplish.

Thread Information