black
    2002 TA WS6

Clutch needed! Which one

So I have about 500 engine HP. The car (02WS6) dyno'd 422 RWHP. I have a RAM clutch in it now but have had slippage issues. The car is recintly out of storage and the clutch is slipping like crazy. I have a friend of a friend who works at a performance shop who is looking at it now. He is saying to put a OEM clutch back into it. Personally I'd rather not as I'm looking to do more mods in the future and feel like it's just gonna waste time and money. What clutch should I go with? I'm pretty pissed at the ram clutch ($400), they were saying the throw out bearing is adjustable and May cause Problems in the future. Maybe not problems but may need adjustment and to do so I'd need to drop the transmission. So do I replace the clutch and if so with what one? Sorry I'm just trying to make a quick post cause the car is with them now and need to know what to do... Thanks!!

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by mjm02ws6 View Post
    So I have about 500 engine HP. The car (02WS6) dyno'd 422 RWHP. I have a RAM clutch in it now but have had slippage issues. The car is recintly out of storage and the clutch is slipping like crazy. I have a friend of a friend who works at a performance shop who is looking at it now. He is saying to put a OEM clutch back into it. Personally I'd rather not as I'm looking to do more mods in the future and feel like it's just gonna waste time and money. What clutch should I go with? I'm pretty pissed at the ram clutch ($400), they were saying the throw out bearing is adjustable and May cause Problems in the future. Maybe not problems but may need adjustment and to do so I'd need to drop the transmission. So do I replace the clutch and if so with what one? Sorry I'm just trying to make a quick post cause the car is with them now and need to know what to do... Thanks!!
    Putting an OEM LS1 clutch in a 500hp car would be stupid for lack of a better term. Even an LS7 clutch "which is now the stock replacement for an ls1" is on the fence for that amount of power.

I'd look at the monster clutches if I were you...
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-30-2015 at 10:16 AM.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have a Spec Stage 3+ that's rated for 800 ft-lb of torque and have been running it for close to 6 years now and I'm at over 500rwhp in a Procharged Camaro. Zero issues and the pedal feels close to stock.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

I have a monster twin disk in my c5z, it's got like 5k on it now, it's not the cheapest option but I love the clutch and it's held well through the track days and the clutch dumps. Plus the clutch feel is perfect. Right now I'm making 450 and 410 at the wheels but I think there rated around 800 and there designed to be dumped

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

When you get into the 500 hp range you should really think about a twin disc setup. It may cost a few more dollars but it will be worth it in the long run.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I have a centerforce D7X street/ strip clutch which is equivalent to a stage 3 racing clutch. Mines rated to handle 1500 hp and it's not a pain to drive in traffic. I would recommend it personally
    2000 Jet Black M6 Trans Am aka Kitte:
    SLP lid, cai kit, smooth bellows; Hawks HPS pads/slotted rotors; Centerforce D7X street/strip clutch; DDM HID conversion; Black w/ metal lip C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims; free ram air mod; Bilstein HD shocks; LTs and ORY; Magnaflow quadtip catback

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

At the least something like a monster stage 2 is in order. The LS7 like said before is what is used as a stock replacement now. Great for stock or close to stock cars but with what your putting down you definitely need to go aftermarket.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Some of the clutches being recommended in here are of the finger style for the clutch disk.

I would NOT recommend that type. I would get a full surface.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

<<Running Monster stg4 on mine.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

black
    2002 TA WS6

Thanks for the input! I still havent had the time to finish my research, but what ive come up with so far is a twin disk as that will hold more HP and maintain a easier clutch feel. It seems like a lot of people are happy with the monsters, so I'll start the research there. Actually I think im gonna have someone else take a look and see if its the RAM clutch that I have in it now, or just the flywheel (that's causing my issues)..
    Anyway thanks again!

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Are you using the stock clutch master cylinder? I have heard some people having issue's with them. Just a thought.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Also, since it just came out of storage, i'm wondering if some moisture build up got on the flywheel causing some rust? If you have ever noticed when it rains hard and you don't drive your car for a week or so, some rust build will build up on the rotors, and the brakes wont work for nothing until the slight rust is worn off. A few hard stops and the rust is gone. Dunno if it's even possible to get moisture onto the flywheel or not, but again, just another thought.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

W
    Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Also, since it just came out of storage, i'm wondering if some moisture build up got on the flywheel causing some rust? If you have ever noticed when it rains hard and you don't drive your car for a week or so, some rust build will build up on the rotors, and the brakes wont work for nothing until the slight rust is worn off. A few hard stops and the rust is gone. Dunno if it's even possible to get moisture onto the flywheel or not, but again, just another thought.
    I dont see why a flywheel couldnt get moisture. Moisture is in the air and condensation can happen.

Yup you can get a rusty flywheel with just moisture in the air. I had a car sitting inside a garage for 30+ years and the clutch disc was literally stuck to the flywheel from corrosion and wouldn't release I had to use some WD40 and a screw driver working around it to eventually pop it loose. Worked just fine afterwards, maybe I should use the darn thing more often, lol. The other solution was one of the best things I ever did......getting the hell outta that muggy humid climate and planting my but in the dry desert

Monster stage 2

Thread Information