frankthetankjfpc

Cool clutch installation ??? $$$$$$

Does anyone know the average price for an automotive shop to install a clutch, flywheel etc??? what would be a suitable price? the clutch is slipping bad on my 98 ss. would anyone recommend a clutch flywheel for me to purchase at a reasonable price? My SS has patriot stage III heads, top end cam, lifters, longtubes, y pipe, full exhaust, etcc. lots of power!!! what clutch can take this beating????

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

my ram powergrip hd is nice, but ive been hearing great things about the new centerforce 12" disc setup...you could also look into the ls7 clutch with the ls2 flywheel. that one is also pretty stout from what ive been reading.

frankthetankjfpc
    what do u think about the z06 clutch and flywheel? what is a good price for a auto shop to install it?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

not with your mods. you need something stronger..anything i just mentioned are good clutches. id think it would run anywhere from 375-650. ive done them myself so i dont know for sure.

99 Firebird Formula

Some shops around here charge $250, which isn't bad at all. Clutches aren't my favorite thing to install because it is a little difficult for me to maneuver such a heavy transmission. I would expect to pay $250-$400 ish for a clutch installation.

I use a spec stage 2 clutch, it works great for me, but I am only putting down around 350hp. You should probably try something stronger like a spec stage 3. I wouldn't waste time with a Z06 clutch with your mods, it wouldn't last long.

Dark Mettalic Navy Blue
    2000 WS6

Ninobrn99, Why do you say the LS7 clutch with the LS2 Flywheel. I just ordered the LS7 Clutch Kit from Fred Beans and was under the impression that the Flywheel and all would bolt up to my 00 WS6. Was I wrong to assume this or is the LS2 Flywheel better. Just want to know because I don't want to get the thing up with Guts hanging out and have to Order a LS2 Flywheel. Thanks

Purple
    2000 Trans am

I just purchased a luk (stock) clutch, fly wheel, pressure plate, from a friend he took it off a 2000 vette with that was driven for 19 miles, do you think i should have it installed? Would it be a good upgrade from my 2000 m6 t-a?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by viper222
    Ninobrn99, Why do you say the LS7 clutch with the LS2 Flywheel. I just ordered the LS7 Clutch Kit from Fred Beans and was under the impression that the Flywheel and all would bolt up to my 00 WS6. Was I wrong to assume this or is the LS2 Flywheel better. Just want to know because I don't want to get the thing up with Guts hanging out and have to Order a LS2 Flywheel. Thanks
    i think it had something to do with the ls7 flywheel being too thick or the bolt patterns..im not 100% sure, but for ls1's the ls2 flywheel needs to be used. Ill try to find out and post a little later today.
    Nino

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

ok, nevermind. found out it was that the ls1 fly was too small for it. you should be fine with the ls7 flywheel. sorry.

Dark Mettalic Navy Blue
    2000 WS6

Thank you. I forgot to repost, I talked to Gene over at Fred Beans and he said that the LS7 is actually the same as the LS1, 2. I only paid $465 for a LS7 Clutch Kit with Flywheel, Clutch, and Pressure Plate. I am very happy with this price since my local dealer wanted more than that for the LS2 Z06 Clutch Kit. I just have to wait a few days for shipping but the dealer had to order it from GM anyway. I ordered the 01-02 Master Cylinder, Slave Cylinder, and a Pilot Bearing. All for $885 including shipping. Me, Very Happy . Now just a Drill Mode and I'm Great.

endub6
    I paid 230$ for z06 clutch and flywheel installation, didn't think that was too bad.

Pewter
    2002 camaro SS

I would either go with an LS7 or Luk Pro Gold series clutch set.

BTW, purchase the items needed before you head to a reputable shop. Repair shops are nothing but thiefs these days.

Your average shop, here in Santa Clara County, will charge anywhere from $800 to $3000. My first quote was just north of $2600. Parts alone where going to cost close to $1700. Shop wanted $800 for Alum-Flywheel and $900 for a Center force DF clutch...needless to say, I was stunned. I will never trust a shop when it comes to parts.
    Last edited by MYTFASTSS; 02-12-2006 at 04:55 AM.

Black
    99 Formula

a grand would be ball park. I got nitrous and have burned through stock and zo6 clutch. Have spec stage 3 for two years and lots of drag racing. Works great. Upgraded slave and did drill mod. LOve it.

hhidyhoneighbor

need some help here??? ls2,ls7,ls1

dont wanna highjack, won this today on ebay(2006 LS2 C6 clutch) im assuming it will bolt right up to the 2001 camaro ss LS1 engine, also would the afformentioned pressure plate and disk mount to an slp LS1 billet lightweight flywheel, won that the other day, like an earlier post dont wanna jack up the car and figure out in the middle i need to order something else, i hate changing clutches, but us poor folks gotta go cheap

Thread Information