NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

Clutch Fluid question

i know almost nothing about manual transmissions. i recently got a new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, slave and master cylinder installed on my car. that was about amonth ago. now when i push in the clutch, i have to pust it in almost half way to get any resistance...is this due to the clutch fluid being burned up etc? any advice appreciated!

Midnight Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

well first i'd check the fluid level and make sure the shim was placed behind the slave cylinder if it was needed. if that's good and you can actually change gears, you might need to bleed the lines. but more than likely, you might just want to get an adjustable master cylinder so you can adjust the release point wherever you want it.

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

any advice on a easy way to bleen the lines?

Midnight Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

i've heard of some people using a mity vac and having success but others say it can mess up your seals. i just use the ol fashioned method. grab a 1/4" ratchet, a 7/16th" socket, some dot 3 brake fluid, and a swivel or two and extension to keep atleast some of the fluid off you. first off you need to grab a friend to work the clutch pedal (or if you wanna be mean, you can make him work the bleeder valve). there's a small square opening between your transmission and bellhousing at about your 10 'o clock position if you're underneath the car looking forward, feet toward the front of the car, on your back. inside the square hole is the bleeder valve...prepare to get familiar with it. while you're down there looking for it, make your buddy fill the clutch fluid resivoir then get in the car. have him pump the clutch pedal a few times then hold it down and keep on it even when it drops to the floor. now you open the bleeder valve with the ratchet until it's almost done pouring out fluid then close it (should take a second or two). then have your buddy pump the clutch again, hold it down, and repeat the whole bleeding proces for let's say 20 times? but every couple/few times, have your buddy get out of the car and add fluid. if the resivoir runs out, you're going to get more air in the system than you might already have. good luck and don't wear any clothes you expect to keep.

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

lol thanks for that write up! gotta couple friends that owe me a favor

Midnight Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

no prob man, i'm bored as hell at work just lurking the forums. hope that works. if not, i'd go with the adjustable master.

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

lol i stay lurkin durin my 9 hrs of work

Thread Information