Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

clutch fluid change

This is a discussion on clutch fluid change within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Just did it last thurs. Gonna do it again in a few weeks. Seems pretty simple. Suck all the fluid ...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Just did it last thurs. Gonna do it again in a few weeks. Seems pretty simple. Suck all the fluid out. Wipe out reservoir. Fill with new fluid. Start car. Pump clutch a few times. Shut off car. Repeat. Mine needed it bad. Looked like old oil.

blue
    1999 TransAm

changed the clutch fluid, man it was pitch black!!!

new fluid is clear like water. i changed about 5 times w/ the ranger method. seems to have alleviated the lazy pedal problem, but i did have it happen a few times on the way home the other day. i'll check the fluid again this week..

red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Just did it last thurs. Gonna do it again in a few weeks. Seems pretty simple. Suck all the fluid out. Wipe out reservoir. Fill with new fluid. Start car. Pump clutch a few times. Shut off car. Repeat. Mine needed it bad. Looked like old oil.

wait.......your supposed to start the car? i just pumped away at the pedal with the car off.

also, on a side note, can the same method be applied to the brake fluid resivor? just suck and fill? or will that introduce air into the brakes?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    wait.......your supposed to start the car? i just pumped away at the pedal with the car off.

also, on a side note, can the same method be applied to the brake fluid resivor? just suck and fill? or will that introduce air into the brakes?
    I never started mine when I did it.

On the brakes. . .
    I did it to mine that I just bought, as a quick help (shouldn't hurt anything). But I plan on bleeding the brakes when I get a chance. If your brake fluid is black, I would highly recommend you bleed your brakes. The brake fluid should not get dirty as quick as the clutch fluid. So if the brake fluid is dark it has been in there too long.

red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    I never started mine when I did it.

On the brakes. . .
    I did it to mine that I just bought, as a quick help (shouldn't hurt anything). But I plan on bleeding the brakes when I get a chance. If your brake fluid is black, I would highly recommend you bleed your brakes. The brake fluid should not get dirty as quick as the clutch fluid. So if the brake fluid is dark it has been in there too long.
    cool. i may do that this weekend. just suck the old stuff out and top it off with fresh.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I bled the clutch fluid when I was all done. Go mity vac. And I flushed and bled my brakes when I did those.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

cool. i may do that this weekend. just suck the old stuff out and top it off with fresh.
    Are you asking about the brakes or clutch? With the clutch that is fine. After you suck the fluid out, if the reservoir is dirty wipe it out. Pump the clutch about 5 times and look at it again. If it is cloudy, repeat. It's a good idea to keep an eye on it, I try to look at mine after every gas fill up. Any time it starts getting cloudy change the fluid in the reservoir.

If the brake reservoir has dark fluid, then you need to get under the car and bleed all the brakes until clean fluid comes out. The process will be quicker if you suck the dirty fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with clean before you start.

red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Are you asking about the brakes or clutch? With the clutch that is fine. After you suck the fluid out, if the reservoir is dirty wipe it out. Pump the clutch about 5 times and look at it again. If it is cloudy, repeat. It's a good idea to keep an eye on it, I try to look at mine after every gas fill up. Any time it starts getting cloudy change the fluid in the reservoir.

If the brake reservoir has dark fluid, then you need to get under the car and bleed all the brakes until clean fluid comes out. The process will be quicker if you suck the dirty fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with clean before you start.
    yeah, i've done the clutch twice now since i've had the car, about 6 months. the clutch still sticks alittle when its cold and you first start the car. i plan the bleed the clutch next year sometime.

may just talk my buddy into bleeding the brakes too.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

yeah, i've done the clutch twice now since i've had the car, about 6 months. the clutch still sticks alittle when its cold and you first start the car. i plan the bleed the clutch next year sometime.

may just talk my buddy into bleeding the brakes too.
    That's an excellent time to pull and paint calipers, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information