Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

clutch fluid change

This is a discussion on clutch fluid change within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Just did it last thurs. Gonna do it again in a few weeks. Seems pretty simple. Suck all the fluid ...

  1. #21
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    Just did it last thurs. Gonna do it again in a few weeks. Seems pretty simple. Suck all the fluid out. Wipe out reservoir. Fill with new fluid. Start car. Pump clutch a few times. Shut off car. Repeat. Mine needed it bad. Looked like old oil.

  2. #22
    Senior Member wileyCoyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Centerville OH
    Posts
    1,591

    blue
    1999 TransAm

    changed the clutch fluid, man it was pitch black!!!

    new fluid is clear like water. i changed about 5 times w/ the ranger method. seems to have alleviated the lazy pedal problem, but i did have it happen a few times on the way home the other day. i'll check the fluid again this week..

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bentonville, AR
    Age
    37
    Posts
    68

    red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

    Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Just did it last thurs. Gonna do it again in a few weeks. Seems pretty simple. Suck all the fluid out. Wipe out reservoir. Fill with new fluid. Start car. Pump clutch a few times. Shut off car. Repeat. Mine needed it bad. Looked like old oil.

    wait.......your supposed to start the car? i just pumped away at the pedal with the car off.


    also, on a side note, can the same method be applied to the brake fluid resivor? just suck and fill? or will that introduce air into the brakes?

  4. #24
    Member blackcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,234

    2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    wait.......your supposed to start the car? i just pumped away at the pedal with the car off.


    also, on a side note, can the same method be applied to the brake fluid resivor? just suck and fill? or will that introduce air into the brakes?
    I never started mine when I did it.

    On the brakes. . .
    I did it to mine that I just bought, as a quick help (shouldn't hurt anything). But I plan on bleeding the brakes when I get a chance. If your brake fluid is black, I would highly recommend you bleed your brakes. The brake fluid should not get dirty as quick as the clutch fluid. So if the brake fluid is dark it has been in there too long.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bentonville, AR
    Age
    37
    Posts
    68

    red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    I never started mine when I did it.

    On the brakes. . .
    I did it to mine that I just bought, as a quick help (shouldn't hurt anything). But I plan on bleeding the brakes when I get a chance. If your brake fluid is black, I would highly recommend you bleed your brakes. The brake fluid should not get dirty as quick as the clutch fluid. So if the brake fluid is dark it has been in there too long.
    cool. i may do that this weekend. just suck the old stuff out and top it off with fresh.

  6. #26
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    I bled the clutch fluid when I was all done. Go mity vac. And I flushed and bled my brakes when I did those.

  7. #27
    Member blackcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,234

    2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    cool. i may do that this weekend. just suck the old stuff out and top it off with fresh.
    Are you asking about the brakes or clutch? With the clutch that is fine. After you suck the fluid out, if the reservoir is dirty wipe it out. Pump the clutch about 5 times and look at it again. If it is cloudy, repeat. It's a good idea to keep an eye on it, I try to look at mine after every gas fill up. Any time it starts getting cloudy change the fluid in the reservoir.

    If the brake reservoir has dark fluid, then you need to get under the car and bleed all the brakes until clean fluid comes out. The process will be quicker if you suck the dirty fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with clean before you start.

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bentonville, AR
    Age
    37
    Posts
    68

    red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Are you asking about the brakes or clutch? With the clutch that is fine. After you suck the fluid out, if the reservoir is dirty wipe it out. Pump the clutch about 5 times and look at it again. If it is cloudy, repeat. It's a good idea to keep an eye on it, I try to look at mine after every gas fill up. Any time it starts getting cloudy change the fluid in the reservoir.

    If the brake reservoir has dark fluid, then you need to get under the car and bleed all the brakes until clean fluid comes out. The process will be quicker if you suck the dirty fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with clean before you start.
    yeah, i've done the clutch twice now since i've had the car, about 6 months. the clutch still sticks alittle when its cold and you first start the car. i plan the bleed the clutch next year sometime.

    may just talk my buddy into bleeding the brakes too.

  9. #29
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    yeah, i've done the clutch twice now since i've had the car, about 6 months. the clutch still sticks alittle when its cold and you first start the car. i plan the bleed the clutch next year sometime.

    may just talk my buddy into bleeding the brakes too.
    That's an excellent time to pull and paint calipers, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Radiator fluid change
    By MRivera in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 08:38 AM
  2. Question: rebuilt, when do i change fluid
    By mark21742 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 08:16 AM
  3. Fluid change?
    By Y2K_CAMARO in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 11:09 AM
  4. Trans Fluid Change
    By agentk006 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 04:48 AM
  5. Clutch Master Fluid Change - How Often ???
    By Mecinoid in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 07:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •