orange
    99 z28

clutch diagnosis

so my clutch pedal stuck on the floor backing out of my driveway a few months ago. still runs great but the clutch feels like its leaking pressure or something. if i pull it up it has some resistance unless i push hard and then it stays on the floor. it also doesnt go in gear

oh yeah i got this idea when i reallized the master cyl res. is def lower than it was a month ago (just started it to keep it from just sitting there)

so i'm looking at pulling out the master cylinder and checking that out, figure i'll get to do the drill mod if nothing else..

then if still no clutch pull the trans off and check out how the clutch flywheel and t.o. bearing look. i'll be doing most of this by myself, probably have my brother help with bleeding etc.

and theres been a whine from the clutch for a while now, still does it, goes away when theres pressure on the clutch

any help or pointers would be greatly greatly appreciated, i know my way around my car and my tools but have never pulled a trans before

heres the links to the articles i'm using to do the job

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...r_cylinder.htm

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ch_install.htm

thanks in advance for any help

Midnight Blue
    99 WS6 Trans Am

It could just be the slave cylinder, but the slave cylinder is in the clutch housing so you have to drop the trans to replace it. how many miles are on your clutch?

orange
    99 z28

around about 75-100k, it def. needs replacement i just wanna save as much $$ as possible.. kinda seems like a mute point with all these rich asses spendin big bucks on every little part tho..

orange
    99 z28

i'm half tempted to get a sb chevy, drop it in and have twice the hp for half the $$...

orange
    99 z28

on a side note i kinda am thinkin about gettin a steel block (qs1 or whatever its called). i like to go fast, and it seems like every shop in the area is rippin every cent they can off the lsx's... what happened to the love of v8's??? gimme a decent price on a clutch swap someone, i'll take it there next week. otherwise i'm goin with speed inc. fuck all the shops in joliet, i've had terrible terrible exp. with them (eps. atr motorsports, i think he chagned his co. name, but HIS last name is anderson, if u run into him watch the f out, hes shady like a crackhead that sees his next meal....... get a detailed itemized receipt if u talk to him!!!!

orange
    99 z28

old thread i know. I just ordered an ls7 clutch kit, slave w/throwout bearing, and quick bleed kit. is replacing the pilot bearing/bushing neccesary? i'm planning on doing this in a day so i'm trying to get it all set to go ahead of time. damn work.. i also plan on replacing the master with the adjustable one eventually (couple months). anyone have a good list of what they needed for the job?

black
    1998 trans am

you will need some common hand tools with a few extension to get the bolts on top of the tranny.

a 13mm, 15mm, 10mm socket is a must.

Thanks,
    Mark

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Orange99z28 View Post
    is replacing the pilot bearing/bushing neccesary?
    short answer is no.
    Long answer is yes. Yes you are gonna wanna replace it while you in there. They do fail occasionally. They can be a pain to change so be very prepared if you wanna get this done in one day.

orange
    99 z28

any tricks on breaking the trans. loose from the bellhousing? i got the 8 bolts out, jack under the trans, but i'm afraid to just beat the hell out of it..

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I used a pry bar to remove mine. Just be careful and don't use too much pressure - try to ease the tranny back.

orange
    99 z28

ok, i got the clutch in. i still have no clutch pressure though, it just goes to the floor. i ran a whole bottle (the big one) of brake fluid through it too (i bought the speed bleeder line). does this mean my master's bad too? i just replaced the slave. very frustrating, i was hoping to be driving it by now..

orange
    99 z28

i'm off to buy a mighty vac and give that a try

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

These things can be a pain to bleed. Did you read the Mity Vac bleeding STICKY? There is some good info in there

orange
    99 z28

here's an update, clutch is good, good pressure, good everything. makes ya wonder wtf gm was thinkin when they designed it..

on another note, i still have 1 obstacle before i can drive her. my drivers rear brake caliper has a stripped (bad) bleeder valve. i bought a new one, but i'm pretty stumped on gettin it out. tried heatin it with a torch and hammering a socket onto it to no avail. any tips/ideas?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Becareful with heating brake calipers. I've seen a brake hose explode with some one doing that once. You can also damage the seals in the caliper.
    When those bleeders are stuck, there rarely come out easy...or at all. I'd suggest getting a new caliper.

orange
    99 z28

sweet, 40 bucks. i thought it was more $$, i'm grabbin it now. thanks for the help guys

Thread Information