Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Which clutch to choose from?

After thoroughly lubing up my asshole for the pounding I'm about to take, I am going to replace my clutch. No amount of cheap modding seems to fix my lazy pedal situation, so I need to upgrade the whole system. My question is, which one should I buy?

LS7 is my first choice, but will it last long and will it withstand the hp and rpms of my engine.

Aftermarket clutches? I know to stay away from SPEC, but what about the other ones? Ram? Centerforce? Mcleod?

I know the LS7 is my cheapest option and a few places have the kits handy, flywheel and all, I just need a little input from experienced drivers.

How is the pedal feel, and does the pedal go lazy? I'm trying to stay away from the drill mod too. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mods in Sig

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

White
    1999 SS

if you dont plan on adding more than 50hp anytime soo, go with the LS7. And yes, do the drill mod, why not?? The clutch feels the same as a new LS1, and with the drill mod, it shifts like butter.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by MnLS1 View Post
    if you dont plan on adding more than 50hp anytime soo, go with the LS7. And yes, do the drill mod, why not?? The clutch feels the same as a new LS1, and with the drill mod, it shifts like butter.
    Hypothetically if I don't do the drill mod, will the pedal still act the same as my current set up now? Or by swapping clutches will it solve the issue?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

spec makes good clutches... mine went due to me being lazy and sending it to a local garage... so i ordered a LS7 clutch for shits and giggles... i had a spec stage 3+ and had no problems with it...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    spec makes good clutches... mine went due to me being lazy and sending it to a local garage... so i ordered a LS7 clutch for shits and giggles... i had a spec stage 3+ and had no problems with it...
    So you are running the LS7 right now? What do you think of it? What kind of power will it handle?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I have had a RAM clutch in mine for a while now and it has been great. I have no worries about it holding and it is very streetable, though it can chatter a little sometimes (lately it has been great, I think it has broken in ). It was also happened to be a easy on the pocket only cost me 450 for the clutch and preassure plate.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    I have had a RAM clutch in mine for a while now and it has been great. I have no worries about it holding and it is very streetable, though it can chatter a little sometimes (lately it has been great, I think it has broken in ). It was also happened to be a easy on the pocket only cost me 450 for the clutch and preassure plate.
    Which flywheel are you running? I can get the LS7 set up which includes an LS2 flywheel for about the same price as this clutch. Though this one does look like the better of the 2.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Which flywheel are you running? I can get the LS7 set up which includes an LS2 flywheel for about the same price as this clutch. Though this one does look like the better of the 2.
    Stock flywheel rebalanced. I would most likely get a LS7 clutch if I never had plans to beat on the car at the track, but I do go out there sometimes, and I want to security of having a little to much clutch then not enough. I another guy with the same clutch setup and he cuts 1.5 60's without any problems.

I have the LS7 now after two Specs. I like it but the pedal is a little soft, the same as a stocker, but it engages fine and holds well. It is also more forgiving for street driving than the other clutches I've used.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Stock flywheel rebalanced. I would most likely get a LS7 clutch if I never had plans to beat on the car at the track, but I do go out there sometimes, and I want to security of having a little to much clutch then not enough. I another guy with the same clutch setup and he cuts 1.5 60's without any problems.
    I'm at the track about once a year with it, so not all the time. And I really don't try to get in trouble with it on the streets, but I just need to know my clutch pedal is going to work when I need it to. I think I'll probably just stick with the LS7 (Quote from the dealer for the clutch is about $270 without the flywheel, another $200 for the flywheel.)

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

I have the Centerforce clutch and flywheel. Big improvement from stock. I don't even have to push the pedal all the way when going into another gear. Crisper shifting as well. Although I got them at a higher price and I have only driven a little over a thousand miles on them.

red
    02 z28

We have the centerforce clutch and have put it to the test numerous times, we have a little over 400h going to the rear wheels, the clutch is almost 2yrs old and have been having problems getting it into 1st and reverse, so we dropped the clutch and inspected it, clean as a whistle...no marks no wear at all so we replaced the master & slave but still had the problem so w/alot of bleeding and agrivation finally realized that our racing headers (hooker) were cooking the fluid in the clutch line, and in turn ate up the slave. We made a shield to put inbetween the headers and the line and double coated the line w/heat wrap, it stays cool and works like a charm, no more problems. This clutch by the way is smooth and strong no noise we love it. Hope this helps.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    We have the centerforce clutch and have put it to the test numerous times, we have a little over 400h going to the rear wheels, the clutch is almost 2yrs old and have been having problems getting it into 1st and reverse, so we dropped the clutch and inspected it, clean as a whistle...no marks no wear at all so we replaced the master & slave but still had the problem so w/alot of bleeding and agrivation finally realized that our racing headers (hooker) were cooking the fluid in the clutch line, and in turn ate up the slave. We made a shield to put inbetween the headers and the line and double coated the line w/heat wrap, it stays cool and works like a charm, no more problems. This clutch by the way is smooth and strong no noise we love it. Hope this helps.
    Thank you, that helps a lot. I'm going to invest in some heat wrap and take care of that problem.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'd go with more than the LS7. Mcleod is fantastic. I have one with like 40,000 miles. Still holds 6,500+dumps on slicks. Ram is good too as is Textrailia. SPEC is junk. I heard good things about Monster clutches also but don't know anyone using one.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Textralia OZ700 Z-Grip can take 700ft-lbs. at the flywheel... thats plenty for most people and they drive like stock...

If you still have pedal issues that means you should probably upgrade your master to a tick master cylinder.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

ill save you some heartache, sorry if this is a repost, but no matter which clutch you are going with, your lazy pedal is not going away, that is until you buy a tick master cylinder, then at that point your problem may go away completely or maybe subside, just my experience with some big hp 6 speed cars.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Running The LS7 clutch and its been great, ran numerous passed at the track with no pedal fade, drives like stock with no chattering or vibration
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

rally red
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS

I'm a textralia OZ x grip user and love it. Granted I spend the extra dough but I love it. LS7 will cost you about half the price of the textralia and I hear pretty good things about it so you prolly couldn't go wrong with either choice. Comes down to if you have the extra money to spend.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    Running The LS7 clutch and its been great, ran numerous passed at the track with no pedal fade, drives like stock with no chattering or vibration
    did you have pedal fade before then ls7? or never at all? and what are you methods of bleeding the system if you have ever bled it before? what fluid type.

it just seems odd to me that a 99 of all the years would not have it and my 02 with the supposed better hydraulics does.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    did you have pedal fade before then ls7? or never at all? and what are you methods of bleeding the system if you have ever bled it before? what fluid type.

it just seems odd to me that a 99 of all the years would not have it and my 02 with the supposed better hydraulics does.

No pedal fade just the stock clutch slipping pretty bad, i didnt install the clutch myself i had a buddy do it for my at his shop.

I also put in the LS2 flywheel, pressure plate and a new master and slave cylinders. I assume he just use GM recommended Fluid. There is a break in period with the clutch though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information