Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Which clutch?

This is a discussion on Which clutch? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I would go with the ls7 if your looking for a good budget clutch. I would give fred beans a ...

Black
    2005 GTO

I would go with the ls7 if your looking for a good budget clutch. I would give fred beans a call(there a sponser) The pilot bearing, slave, and ls7 clutch kit came out to $571.61 shipped. So if your looking for just a clutch and flywheel your looking around $400. If your looking at adding more power to your car I would suggest just going with the spec 2 or 3 depending on your future plans.

Did't all 01+ f-bodies come with the ls6 clutch? That just what I've heard can someone comfirm this?

white
    2000 camaro ss

yea i'm defenately going with ls7 but is there any way i can get the set without the flywheel? cuz i want to install an alluminum one. and would i really need the slave too? answer to your ques about ls6 clutch on 01s and up yes you're right!

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by doctorslp View Post
    yea i'm defenately going with ls7 but is there any way i can get the set without the flywheel? cuz i want to install an alluminum one. and would i really need the slave too? answer to your ques about ls6 clutch on 01s and up yes you're right!
    Yes you need an updated slave cylinder, trust me. Also change your rear main while your in there, they are notorius for leaking on a chevy small block. Also you might want to change your master cylinder as well, maybe do the drill mod when you swap em out, it works wonders on your shifts, I know form experiance.

white
    2000 camaro ss

i also wanted to make sure if it's an exact fit?! can someone please confirm that?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    Yes you need an updated slave cylinder, trust me. Also change your rear main while your in there, they are notorius for leaking on a chevy small block. Also you might want to change your master cylinder as well, maybe do the drill mod when you swap em out, it works wonders on your shifts, I know form experiance.
    Change the rear main seal on a LS1? Your crazy! Thats alot more work than you think! The rear main seals on sbc's are notorious for leaking but not on an LS1.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Change the rear main seal on a LS1? Your crazy! Thats alot more work than you think! The rear main seals on sbc's are notorious for leaking but not on an LS1.
    While the bell housing/flywheel is off for the clutch replacement, its as easy as pulling out the old one and putting in the new one, its a 12$ part that could save youe 100's of dollars in later repair cost if it starts leaking later. And yes alot of LT1/LS1's Rear mains leak just like the other small block Chevys. I have had a leak on my LT1 93 TA and my 99 LS1 TA. My friends clutch started sliping becasue the Rear main was leaking onto the flywheel/clutch plate. Another frind of mine had a Rear main leak in a 01 Z28 that dripped 3 or 4 spots onto the drive way every time he came to my house. When you looked under the car, you could see all the build up off the oil slowly moving to rear of the car from highway driving.
    Its just simple preventative maintainence to change the Rear main while you have the flywheel off.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

I am noticing a vibration in my shifter when driving. Also a howling noise. Is this clutch, fly wheel, drive shaft etc...? Anyone know? 2000 SS 6m

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Once again...NOOOOO, to the LS6 clutch!! Mine is shot under stock hp and tq. Only 24000 miles on the clock, never been to the track, and is a daily driver. I'm just dealing with it until I can afford a new one. GM clutches suck!

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    Once again...NOOOOO, to the LS6 clutch!! Mine is shot under stock hp and tq. Only 24000 miles on the clock, never been to the track, and is a daily driver. I'm just dealing with it until I can afford a new one. GM clutches suck!
    +1 Agreed

Arctic White
    1999 WS.6 Trans Am

you guys mentioned oil build up towards the rear of the car... My clutch needs replacement because of slippage... I was under the car a few days ago and noticed a lot of oil/grease residue under my rear end girdle where the torque arm mounts... any ideas???? Is this normal?

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Soul TKR View Post
    you guys mentioned oil build up towards the rear of the car... My clutch needs replacement because of slippage... I was under the car a few days ago and noticed a lot of oil/grease residue under my rear end girdle where the torque arm mounts... any ideas???? Is this normal?
    I'm getting the same thing

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Soul TKR View Post
    Alot of the build up may be from the rear end, they all leak after a while, but if there is gunk in front of the rear end (toward the front of the car) then its probally your rear main seal slowly leaking oil while your driving. At 60 mph the oil slowly moves its way to the back of your car and will gunk up and lok like a sludge on all your under carrige. To fix this you have to change the Rear main seal, but its behind your flywheel, so its alot of work. That is unless you are already changing your clutch out, then its easy. It is a one peice seal and it is very cheap at the Chevy dealer.

You may also want to check your intake manifold for leaks, sometimes the back of the intake leaks down the block, causing many people to think its a rear main leak. Just stick your hand back there (easier said than done) and feel for fresh oil. Or once again, if you are changing a clutch, and the bell housing is off, it is easy to identify the leak source, especially if the flywheel is off. To fix this problem requires the intake to be removed and re sealed, I think they only used sylicone for this from the factory, go figuire???? But usually if the oil leak comes from the rear main seal.

Also the sludge build up on the undercarrige and the many parts underneath the car, will stay there for ever unless you get under there and clean it off, I mean really clean it, not just the under carrige sprayer at the car wash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information