Chattering?

This is a discussion on Chattering? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Okay, so I have had this noise in my car that I haven't been able to pin down but I'll ...

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

Chattering?

Okay, so I have had this noise in my car that I haven't been able to pin down but I'll give you the details and maybe someone can tell me what it could be. It's definitely got to do with either the clutch or the tranny. It's an 01 T/A LS1. What I've found is that when I'm accelerating, I get a sound that isn't a vibration, it's closer to a rattle, and I hear it whenever the tranny is engaged, particularly at highway speeds. As soon as I disengage by depressing the clutch pedal, it goes away. If I rev the engine by itself, I don't hear it. I thought that it could possibly be the fuel injectors, though I knew it wasn't likely. It also is affected (changed but not eliminated) by moving the shifter around while it's in gear. There's not a lot of movement, just about 1/8 inch or so. But when I push the shifter as far as it will go, it changes the noise. Any ideas? I don't really know what sound 'chattering' would make, but I suspect that's what it is.

Thanx

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

Any help here?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Chattering

I had simular sounding issue. One of the springs was shot on my preasure plate. I replaced clutch, presure plate and bearing.

juiced00ss
    well, I have to say it could be that. Or I hate to say it but my 00 ss tranny had the same problem. At least it sounds like the same problem. I ended up having the tranny rebuilt. When he took it apart the shift fork was broken as was the synchros all rounded off and there were some other little bits that were worn pretty good. It doesnt take much to make these things start to sing. So I would have it looked at before you go spending money foolishly.

Black
    2000 ws6 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by t/as&dds View Post
    Okay, so I have had this noise in my car that I haven't been able to pin down but I'll give you the details and maybe someone can tell me what it could be. It's definitely got to do with either the clutch or the tranny. It's an 01 T/A LS1. What I've found is that when I'm accelerating, I get a sound that isn't a vibration, it's closer to a rattle, and I hear it whenever the tranny is engaged, particularly at highway speeds. As soon as I disengage by depressing the clutch pedal, it goes away. If I rev the engine by itself, I don't hear it. I thought that it could possibly be the fuel injectors, though I knew it wasn't likely. It also is affected (changed but not eliminated) by moving the shifter around while it's in gear. There's not a lot of movement, just about 1/8 inch or so. But when I push the shifter as far as it will go, it changes the noise. Any ideas? I don't really know what sound 'chattering' would make, but I suspect that's what it is.

Thanx
    Hello im new to this site and im having the exact same problem with my 00 t/a
    I was told by a friend that the shift forks might go out so i need to be careful. Im pretty sure that they did. im going to have my car checked out in about a week so as soon as i get the diagnosis back ill reply back to you.

juiced00ss
    yeah the shift forks are probabley bad. My 3-4 shift fork broke.

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

How bad/how much???

Black
    2000 ws6 trans am

it was my shift forks. I didnt take it to pontiac. a buddy of mine checked it out and said that i need a rebuild. Sorry for the bad news. ask juiced00ss how much it cost?

juiced00ss
    well lets put it this way. We rebuilt the tranny with new synchros, new 3-4 shiftfork, some seals, and some other little parts. Also my front output shaft was absolutly wasted so that was like 200 bucks. The whole job from a friend of mine cost about 1000-1200 out the door. The tranny is very happy now.

Thread Information