Silver/Black
    1998 Z28

Changed my clutch myself. Crap.

So I had the clutch pedal sticking to the floorboard every once in a while, never had high rpm shifting problems so I thought it'd be the slave. Car is at 90k so it seems time to replace the clutch anyway...so I bought the parts and off we go.

The whole job sucked, as Ive never done it before, but it was simple enough. After putting everything back together I have 2 very noticeable problems that Id like to see if anyone has insight on:

1) Clutch engages about 3/4" from floor. This I feel can be remedied by a shim....but that means taking it ALL back apart. Gah. Synchros feel like they're working hard to get it in first, less in other gears, and not at in to R.

2) Theres a very noticeable "whurring" noise coming from the clutch assmebly area. It revvs with the engine, happens in all gears and with the clutch in & out. I was pretty careful and don't think theres anyway I left something hanging on the flywheel?? Any ideas?

Also, seems like no matter how much I bleed the slave there are still bubbles every once in a while in the line. Im praying the master doesnt need to be changed too, this has already gotten pricey.

Edit: probably should have put this in general help. mods if you see this could you move it? Thanks
    Last edited by bcherb2; 08-18-2009 at 06:26 AM.

$ 25,000 panty dropper VENOMOUS's Avatar

2005 Ram SRT-10 QC 8.3l
    1999 FRC Black

I blelieve you need an adjustable master which you can make. Go to the other site and search adjustable master cylinder. It is fairly simple and it cured all the above problems you're describing. And they all are a bitch to bleed, they take upwards of an hour most of the time and at least 30-45 minutes. Once they are bled it's like butter though. YOu could shim but like you said why tear it back apart.

pewter
    2000 ss slp

my clutch pedal is the same way i have a stage 3 i thought it was just the chraterists of the clutch but i dnt know .....

Silver/Black
    1998 Z28

what about the sound though? It doesnt sound like metal is getting torn up or anything, but you can clearly hear it in and outside of the car. Its a SPEC stage 1 clutch. Ideas? Or tear it down and redo it?

Silver/Black
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by VENOMOUS View Post
    I blelieve you need an adjustable master which you can make. Go to the other site and search adjustable master cylinder. It is fairly simple and it cured all the above problems you're describing. And they all are a bitch to bleed, they take upwards of an hour most of the time and at least 30-45 minutes. Once they are bled it's like butter though. YOu could shim but like you said why tear it back apart.

you can MAKE an adjustable master? I only see the mcleod one you can buy. And you mean to tell me I did ALL this and it was the master? Sigh.

Thread Information