car slipping out of First gear! help!

This is a discussion on car slipping out of First gear! help! within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; i got a 2000 c5 and today noticed that it keeps slipping out of first gear, had to start off ...

Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

car slipping out of First gear! help!

i got a 2000 c5 and today noticed that it keeps slipping out of first gear, had to start off in second just to get home. All the other gears work just fine. It has a B and M Ripper shifter that I installed about 2 months ago and up until today was working great. Any ideas??

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

When you say "slipping out of first" are you saying that it falls out of first gear and goes to nuetral or are you stating it is just slipping........?

You also stated that you installed a Ripper.....You adjusted the shifter stops yourself then......? If you have the "jam bolt" too tight it wont let the fork push the slider all the way into the gear and it will pop out under a load.
    Other than that I can't think of what is causing your problem.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

falls out of first gear and goes to neutral... grinding along the way (OUCH), if u give it too much gas it will practically shoot out of gear (1st) and into neutral (it just started doing this today RRRRGG!). In terms of adjustment for the shifter, how could i adjust this shifter, do u mean like where the shifter joins with the actual link to the tranny on the car? (forward/backward adjustment) but wouldnt i have a problem in the other gears too if that were the case? only first gear im having this problem. i hope i can fix this myself but if it comes down to it i might have to take it in, hopefully this is nothing major! right now i have the console and everything removed all the way to just the shifter right to where it bolts to the car (noisy!)... took it for a test spin, same thing and cant figure it out, ill post a pic tomorrow, maybe someone can point it out my cars problem.

Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

whats the "jam bolt" and how do i adjust it?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5 View Post
    whats the "jam bolt" and how do i adjust it?
    97-07 6-SPEED B & M RIPPER SHIFTER
    The B & M Ripper shifter are CNC engineered to reduce shifter throw by 25%. CNC machined from 303 stainless steel and 6061 T-6 Aluminum, these shifters provide the type of performance you demand. Features include Billet 303 stainless steel stick, bearing assembly mounted in a 6061-T6 Aluminum housing and adjustable throw stops to eliminate over-travel while being fully isolated to eliminate vibrations.

Not familiar with that exact shifter seeing that B&M is not my choice but anyways it has adjustable stops that NEED to be properly adjusted to prevent major damage due to overtravel when banging gears. If it is not adjusted proplerly it could be keeping it from fully pushing the internal fork into first gear.
    You might try B&M web site to see if you can download there directions seeing that you must not have them.

Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

thanks, I found a site i think that should help on adjusting. It should fix my problem I hope. If not, ill just take it in to my neighborhood racing shop. My C5 should be up and running in no time again hopefully.

http://www.corvettedreams.com/shifter.htm

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

So did you get that thing figured out yet.....?
    Hope for your sake it was just out of adjustment.

Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

no, the picture on that link i found and pasted on my earlier reply appears to be a slightly different BM ripper shifter than the one in my C5 right now. Im going to give B and M a call tomorrow but if i cant figure this one out by the end of the week, im takin my C5 in first thing next week.

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

It could be several things, worn synchronizers, or bad clutch fork.

Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

Ok so I got a chance to mess with the vette tonite in my garage. Holding the shifter in place are the initial, four small bolts that hold what you get in the box (the shifter itself) to the mechanism that connects to the linkage which connects to the tranny and picks the gears for you. What I adjusted, was the two main big bolts (T star pattern) that hold the "mechanism" that connects the shifter to the car itself where the console is. The shifter slides forward and backward based on your adjustments and installation, so I pulled the shifter back and then tightened the two bolts to hold the whole thing in place. So, afterwards, I shifted through the gears while the car wasnt moving, it seemed to be an improvent, then i took it out for a spin. Very cautiously I took off in first a few times, really easy initially then gradually harder and harder. (after I had tightened the shifter down good) Finally I did a hard launch at the end of my test session. (not DRAGSTER style yet, but a hard takeoff) It holds up good so far. Im going to leave the console apart for the next few times i drive this car to make sure it is adjusted good and permanent, so that I dont have to take it all apart again. Hopefully I dont get anymore problems, I dont wanna have to be taking my console apart to adjust my shifter all the time. thanks for the help in the meantime guys

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5 View Post
    Ok so I got a chance to mess with the vette tonite in my garage. Holding the shifter in place are the initial, four small bolts that hold what you get in the box (the shifter itself) to the mechanism that connects to the linkage which connects to the tranny and picks the gears for you. What I adjusted, was the two main big bolts (T star pattern) that hold the "mechanism" that connects the shifter to the car itself where the console is. The shifter slides forward and backward based on your adjustments and installation, so I pulled the shifter back and then tightened the two bolts to hold the whole thing in place. So, afterwards, I shifted through the gears while the car wasnt moving, it seemed to be an improvent, then i took it out for a spin. Very cautiously I took off in first a few times, really easy initially then gradually harder and harder. (after I had tightened the shifter down good) Finally I did a hard launch at the end of my test session. (not DRAGSTER style yet, but a hard takeoff) It holds up good so far. Im going to leave the console apart for the next few times i drive this car to make sure it is adjusted good and permanent, so that I dont have to take it all apart again. Hopefully I dont get anymore problems, I dont wanna have to be taking my console apart to adjust my shifter all the time. thanks for the help in the meantime guys
    Glad we could help I figured it was just going to be a adjustment issue.

Thread Information