Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Cant bark tires, Clutch Slipping?

My car is getting to the point where it can barely bark 2nd. I drove my friends camaro the other day and I can bark third with no problem, so this means the driver isnt the problem. The tires are stock size street tires so that isnt it either. Shifts fine, if the clutch is slipping would that affect me being able break traction when shifting hard??????
    btw my friends camaro was stock lol
    Last edited by WS6ICK2K; 01-28-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Your clutch sounds worn and just isn't bitting any more. Next it will probably start to slip under hard acceleration. I'd be looking for a new one.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Can most of your cars bark third with no problem?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post
    Can most of your cars bark third with no problem?
    Depends on the temperature and the tires on the car...

When my car was stock, in warm weather, with 285/40/17's, it would not bark the tires going into 3rd.

With my mods and 45 degree weather on the same tires, I've had wheelspin going into 4th.

It all depends on a few factors, namely tires and temperature.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Sounds like your clutch is worn. Mine does the same thing. You don't necesarilly need a new one in a hurry. Mine has been like that for 24,000 miles now. As long as it's not slipping under hard acceleration you don't have to worry too much unless you just really want to chip third. For reference a good running LS1 car with a good clutch should pretty easily bark third and in many case 4th. My last LS1 car a black WS.6 with 4:10's and a McLeod Clutch I could bark 5th if I really tried.

Edit i just re-read and see yours is probably slipping in second gear shifts. So yeah a clutch is probably in your near future. Once a clutch has problems grabbing in first and second you have issues. When you try to bark the tires does the engine rev like the tires are spinning but their not?

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Yes it does slightly rev and acts like it broke traction when it rely does not. Nothing major, kinda a small hesitation. Yea I think its due for one, I was thinking about the LS7 clutch. Those 4.10s must really set off a M6 if you could bark 5th.
    Last edited by WS6ICK2K; 02-04-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Time for a new clutch!! I would recommend a McLeod stay away from Centerforce and Spec.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I have a LS7 and love it. It's a good clutch.

Here for the free beer Nestromo's Avatar

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    My last LS1 car a black WS.6 with 4:10's and a McLeod Clutch I could bark 5th if I really tried.
    Hmm, his car is blue so I doubt the clutch is the issue.

On a serious note I had a McLeod in my Z28 and I loved it.
    '95 Mustang GT - T-70, 3500 Lockup, DFI, 30k miles.
    - Still have to spend some money on it.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Sounds like your clutch is worn. Mine does the same thing. You don't necesarilly need a new one in a hurry. Mine has been like that for 24,000 miles now. As long as it's not slipping under hard acceleration you don't have to worry too much unless you just really want to chip third. For reference a good running LS1 car with a good clutch should pretty easily bark third and in many case 4th. My last LS1 car a black WS.6 with 4:10's and a McLeod Clutch I could bark 5th if I really tried.

Edit i just re-read and see yours is probably slipping in second gear shifts. So yeah a clutch is probably in your near future. Once a clutch has problems grabbing in first and second you have issues. When you try to bark the tires does the engine rev like the tires are spinning but their not?

Bark fifth? You sure about that? At 120 or so?

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    All you have to do is let the revs drop before you shift...

I was 16 (about 1999-2000) the first time I saw an LS1 do the "reverse bark" and I thought it was because it had huge balls... I swung from the LS1s nuts for a solid 2 years after that.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Nestromo View Post
    All you have to do is let the revs drop before you shift...

I was 16 (about 1999-2000) the first time I saw an LS1 do the "reverse bark" and I thought it was because it had huge balls... I swung from the LS1s nuts for a solid 2 years after that.
    Okay............I'll put that down as one of the things I won't attempt.

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

Okay............I'll put that down as one of the things I won't attempt.
    It isn't something that I would reccomend, but to a 16 year old that just flat doesn't know any better, it looks really cool.

Jonathan

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

No just messing around at lower speeds. I remember one time pulling out of the local speed shop and some dumbass in a stock SN95 Mustang GT was tring to rev on me. So I just gave him a quick bark into second, accelerate for a second then bark third, then the same into 4th and 5th. All by like 60mph. Needless to say he just backed off. It wasn't just an ordinary McCleod though it was the rev lok which has a sintered iron disk. The thing was like an on/off switch. Wouldn't slip if you tried and the hotter it got the nastier it grabbed. Oh and yes the 4:10's really did wake that car up. They literally felt like I bolted on a 75 shot. With Goodyear F1's on a hard shift into 4th it would spin the tires for half a block. Never could get the damn thing to hook at the track though. Just kept breaking gears with Nittos.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Time for a new clutch!! I would recommend a McLeod stay away from Centerforce and Spec.
    I second centerforce is crap, the problem with Mcloed is that is costs an arm and a leg. my spec 3+ is a GREAT clutch

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Hmm, his car is blue so I doubt the clutch is the issue.

On a serious note I had a McLeod in my Z28 and I loved it.
    Whats up with you and blue cars lol. By the way those wheels in your profile are ugly as hell. I wouldnt have them on a moped, much less a ls1 or even a mustang if you swing that way.

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post
    Whats up with you and blue cars lol. By the way those wheels in your profile are ugly as hell. I wouldnt have them on a moped, much less a ls1 or even a mustang if you swing that way.
    Yeah, they are pretty ugly, I agree. Thats why I put 'em there.

They are the stockers. I'm leaving everything on the outside of the car looking 100% stock aside from being able to see an intercooler if you look really close, but I'm thinking of spraying a thin coat of black on the part that shows. I did remove the spoiler though and you can see an A1000 fuel pump if you look close, and 2 of the rear wheels are getting widened for Mickey Drag radials.

I do have some "pretty wheels" that I could put on it if I wanted to. I think I might sell them.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yeah, they are pretty ugly, I agree. Thats why I put 'em there.

They are the stockers. I'm leaving everything on the outside of the car looking 100% stock aside from being able to see an intercooler if you look really close, but I'm thinking of spraying a thin coat of black on the part that shows. I did remove the spoiler though and you can see an A1000 fuel pump if you look close, and 2 of the rear wheels are getting widened for Mickey Drag radials.

I do have some "pretty wheels" that I could put on it if I wanted to. I think I might sell them.
    Widened........ I had the same wheels with 275/40/17 Mickey drag radials and they fit fine. I can tell you if you put the Pony center caps they look 50X better than the plan ass stock cap.
    You might have some rubbing issues with the 275/40 after widening those wheels you betterbe Very careful where the offset gets put.

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Widened........ I had the same wheels with 275/40/17 Mickey drag radials and they fit fine. I can tell you if you put the Pony center caps they look 50X better than the plan ass stock cap.
    You might have some rubbing issues with the 275/40 after widening those wheels you betterbe Very careful where the offset gets put.
    I know I'm going to have to change out the studs and run a spacer, they are way to far in anyway. I'm adding all of the metal in the inside so I will be able to play with the spacing if I need to.
    I was thinking either 295/45/17 or 315/35/17 but I'm not sure if the 315 will fit.
    I was thinking of doing the wheels black like the '93 Cobra R whels but I'm not sure. I really kind of like the tri-bars in silver and it looks stock that way which is a big plus. What are the Pony center caps? Do they have sort of a machined look?

Jonathan

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I know I'm going to have to change out the studs and run a spacer, they are way to far in anyway. I'm adding all of the metal in the inside so I will be able to play with the spacing if I need to.
    I was thinking either 295/45/17 or 315/35/17 but I'm not sure if the 315 will fit.
    I was thinking of doing the wheels black like the '93 Cobra R whels but I'm not sure. I really kind of like the tri-bars in silver and it looks stock that way which is a big plus. What are the Pony center caps? Do they have sort of a machined look?

Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information