Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Can the T 56 do this?

Does anyone know if it is possible to accidentally shift from 4th to reverse when attempting to shift from 4th to 5th?

Still learning

Black
    2000 SS

possible yes. pbrbable NO

On mine which is a 2000 i dont think there are any differences it has a lock out solinoid (might have spelled that wrong) that makes it REALLY hard to push the shifter over to reverse if the vehicle is in forward motion.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

not possible.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

No. There is a lock out that prevents that from happening. You can go from 1st to reverse and I think from second as well.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

That's great... I couldn't even imagine how bad it would be for a transmission if something like that could happen.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Not only the tranny what about the rear end drive shaft and u-joints.

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

I threw my 69 Mustang into reverse once going 75 on the interstate...made a nice THRRRRBBBBTTTTTTTTTTTTTTWAPAPAWPAPWAPWPAPWPAPWPWAP sound. Not good....

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Had a girlfriend knock my shifter in my automatic frontwheel drive POS into reverse at 65 mph on the highway. It instantly killed the motor,I clicked it into neutral and hit the key,fired it up and continued on our way. There is a solenoid as pointed out that won't allow a shift into reverse at any forward motion above a couple mile an hour. I find it a little annoying sometimes when I'm in a hurry and trying to shift before I completely stop-but I figure the safety of the thing is worth the slight inconvenience.

Necction
    Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Had a girlfriend knock my shifter in my automatic frontwheel drive POS into reverse at 65 mph on the highway. It instantly killed the motor,I clicked it into neutral and hit the key,fired it up and continued on our way. There is a solenoid as pointed out that won't allow a shift into reverse at any forward motion above a couple mile an hour. I find it a little annoying sometimes when I'm in a hurry and trying to shift before I completely stop-but I figure the safety of the thing is worth the slight inconvenience.
    LoL and what was your girlfriend doing moving over the shifter like that?

99 Firebird Formula

It may not actually go into reverse but it can go far enough as to make the reverse lights come on. I have seen my buddy do this at the track on accident.

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

I did an A4 to M6 conversion and at the beginning the reverse solenoid wasn't active.
    One or two times I find myself almost doing 6th-R instead of 6th-5th.
    But never 4th-R.
    MODS: A4 > M6 conversion, SC raptor hood, Vortech V9 G-Trim SQ, homemade water-alcohol injection
    DYNO: 410 RWHP, 417 TORQUE @ 5 PSI

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

The solenoid is not a lockout - it is possible to override the spring pressure and put the car in reverse. Try putting your car in reverse a couple times before you shut off the car the next time you park. Then shut the engine off and put it in a couple times.

As for whether or not you can engage reverse while you are moving, it depends on how hard you try pushing it in there. The solenoid should keep you from accidentally getting it in, but I wouldn't say its impossible.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Hammer is correct. It is very possible to shift into the reverse gate, over powering the solenoid. Thankfully, you will get a clashing of clutching teeth on the gears and no actually engage reverse. This clashing introduces severe wear to the reverse gear train and will eventually cause an inoperative condition.

Black
    1995 Z28

Well one time i was driving mine I was in 4th and was going t 5th and accidently went into reverse but all it did was grind thank god I didnt let the clutch out

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

I wonder if all those aftermarket short throw shifters and short sticks "help" going into reverse. Shorter throw = less precise movement... or not?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tici
    I wonder if all those aftermarket short throw shifters and short sticks "help" going into reverse. Shorter throw = less precise movement... or not?
    Good point, I think it helps the dreaded 2-3-2, which I have done twice. But I have the Factory Hurst with Lous's Short Stick. An aftermarket shifter might have stiffer detent springs...

Thread Information