Results 1 to 18 of 18

Buying a LS7 clutch do i need.......

This is a discussion on Buying a LS7 clutch do i need....... within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I was about to buy my clutch and was wondering if i need... The LS2/LS7 flywheel A new master cylinder ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Exclamation Buying a LS7 clutch do i need.......

    I was about to buy my clutch and was wondering if i need...

    The LS2/LS7 flywheel
    A new master cylinder
    A new slave cylinder (i have a 2002 ws6 so i dont think i need it)
    And anything else that might compliment it...

    Cuz with my summer build up project 4 the car i def need a new clutch cuz mine sticks when im under WOT so i know it cant handle the Torque no more so time to upgrade and i heard the LS7 was by far the best performance 4 the money...

  2. #2
    Ratdaddy07
    Guest
    I put the LS7 in mine and no, you shouldn't need any of that mine is 01. But after the fact read a lot on here about after-market clutches and wonder if I did do the right thing going with the LS7. Don't have enough miles on it yet to know.

  3. #3
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Well everyone on here swears by it and for the money how could you go wrong i mean how does it feel compared to the stock 1...And i guess if i dont need a master or slave i could just do the drill mod...

  4. #4
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Anyone else have any info 4 me?

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Ratdaddy07
    Guest
    doesn't feel much different but I have a lot more power going through it than I had on the stock one. I haven't had problems like I said just wondering if I couldn't have gotten something stronger.

  6. #6
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    My guess is yes and someone help me out here but in other brands i heard u get chatter..More then u normally would then with the ls7 plus i've heard on here the LS7 holds up 2 600RWTQ so that should be pleanty good until FI which i will be doing in about a year or 2 so i have time

  7. #7
    Ratdaddy07
    Guest
    Your doing all this to that yellow 2002? Not worried about affecting future value?

  8. #8
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdaddy07 View Post
    Your doing all this to that yellow 2002? Not worried about affecting future value?
    I have all the stock parts so "if"i sell it which i never will i can always replace everything....

    Any more info on the LS7 clutch?

  9. #9
    Member TACE02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    41
    Posts
    568

    ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

    I would lean more toward get a Textralia, not biased here...LOL. I have heard some bad reviews on the LS7 clutch, but then again I have heard bad reviews on many more expensive clutches that state they handle up to 600+. And I would pick expensive + chatter + reliability anyday over cheap + quiet + who knows anyday. But mine doesn't really chatter anyways so I am very satisfied thus far. Also on the other stuff, well I would at least think about changing the slave cylinder just because your in there anyways and they only cost $65.

    As for modding the CETA, who cares about future value right. The only way mine is going bye bye is if I total it, in which case it will be valued at a CETAs value. Not a plan of mine at all though, EVER!!!

  10. #10
    Ratdaddy07
    Guest
    I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was a bad idea, I would do the same thing. I tell my wife all the time a car is not an investment some become that but there are much better investments if that is what you want. I just threw it out there on the off chance that you really didn't think about it I guess. So in hind sight......stupid comment I retract.

  11. #11
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdaddy07 View Post
    I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was a bad idea, I would do the same thing. I tell my wife all the time a car is not an investment some become that but there are much better investments if that is what you want. I just threw it out there on the off chance that you really didn't think about it I guess. So in hind sight......stupid comment I retract.
    Its ok...Just cuz its a CETA doesnt mean there not like all the others...Dont be racist against CETA'S

  12. #12
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    I would lean more toward get a Textralia, not biased here...LOL. I have heard some bad reviews on the LS7 clutch, but then again I have heard bad reviews on many more expensive clutches that state they handle up to 600+. And I would pick expensive + chatter + reliability anyday over cheap + quiet + who knows anyday. But mine doesn't really chatter anyways so I am very satisfied thus far. Also on the other stuff, well I would at least think about changing the slave cylinder just because your in there anyways and they only cost $65.

    As for modding the CETA, who cares about future value right. The only way mine is going bye bye is if I total it, in which case it will be valued at a CETAs value. Not a plan of mine at all though, EVER!!!
    See my main concern is excessive chatter...I dont want the damn thing to be rattling all over the place cuz my ZO6 clutch now is quiet as hell thats y i thought i would go with the LS7 and LS7 fly on top of the fact that i heard it can handle 600hp and for the price how could you go wrong...But i still dunno what to do and if i plan on going to the track this summer (which i def do!!!) then i need to decide on a clutch and now....

  13. #13
    Member TACE02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    41
    Posts
    568

    ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

    The SPEC 3+ I had rattled a little especially in first gear on takeoff during normal driving. The Tex I have now, well some days it rattles a little at first until I warm it up a bit, but not much really. Most of the time when it does rattle it is because of me. OOPS. I can pretty much control the rattle. When going down the track or driving down the highway, there is no rattle at all. It only rattles in first just like the SPEC and like I said it is usually because of me. Usually cause I don't give it enough gas and then try to give it more and give it too much, basically feathering the gas pedal. with smooth or downright hard gas application it hooks and goes.

  14. #14
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Well sounds like its worth looking into atleast...I was originally thinking about the mccleaoud because i was going to go D-1SC with in the next year or 2 but seeing as i dont wanna spend $1400 on a clutch i'll look into the LS7 and Spec 3+ more to see which on i like better....But thats 4 all the info man!

  15. #15
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LS1 land
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,667
    LS7 in mine - feels and sounds like stock. I haven't heard any chatter from it yet.

  16. #16
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    LS7 in mine - feels and sounds like stock. I haven't heard any chatter from it yet.
    How much power do you have? And how was it installing the clutch cuz i talked to tom from speedinc and he suggests going with the mccloud clutch single disk which would be $200 more cuz it fits better and holds more TQ....??

  17. #17
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LS1 land
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    How much power do you have? And how was it installing the clutch cuz i talked to tom from speedinc and he suggests going with the mccloud clutch single disk which would be $200 more cuz it fits better and holds more TQ....??
    right now i have around 330rwhp - so a lot less than you

    I don't see what he means that it fits better -- mine fits perfect with no allignment issues or any problems. That is just speed inc. just trying to fuck you over as always.

    And as far as the $200 difference - how much do they want for the mccloud? When i shopped around for a clutch i remember speed. inc. had one of the highest prices at $400. GM parts direct and other places have it much cheaper.

    But, i'm not really sure which will hold more power - but i would guess the mccloud.

  18. #18
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    right now i have around 330rwhp - so a lot less than you

    I don't see what he means that it fits better -- mine fits perfect with no allignment issues or any problems. That is just speed inc. just trying to fuck you over as always.

    And as far as the $200 difference - how much do they want for the mccloud? When i shopped around for a clutch i remember speed. inc. had one of the highest prices at $400. GM parts direct and other places have it much cheaper.

    But, i'm not really sure which will hold more power - but i would guess the mccloud.
    Speed inc had the mccloud for $800-850 for the single plate and thats with the steel fly....

    I gotta check GM parts direct for the price on the LS7 with the fly cuz if it will hold 600 thats good i'll be under that till atleast next year or another year depending when i get a blower...Works 4 me

    Good 2 hear it fits good...Mayb they were just trying to sell me on the mccloud which is more money...who knows

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Buying new clutch
    By DustysZ in forum Corvette
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 06:07 AM
  2. Question: Buying new clutch kit soon, need opinions
    By Lunatikgixxer in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 11:27 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 08:41 PM
  4. z06 clutch for sale, pressure plate clutch disk and flywheel
    By themack56 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 08:15 PM
  5. buying new clutch, advice needed
    By bics56 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 03:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •