Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

Unhappy Blown Clutch!!!!

So I'll spare the details and just say that the other night I burned my clutch to hell. It still drives fine, isn't slipping (yet), but does smell something horrible. Anyway, what do you guys recommend I replace? Just the clutch? Or the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel? Also, any suggestions on brands / stages to go with that are reasonably priced and where to get them?

Thanks!

Get the full ls7 kit, comes with everything for right at 400 buxs..

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

are you sure its the clutch you smell and not a bad cat?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

dont replace it till it starts slipping it may have more life than you think left in it, trust me ive been there

White
    98 Trans Am

Do you have any mods? If you're setup is relatively mild, I woudn't waste a lot of money on a high performance clutch...not to mention, usually driveability suffers when you get into some of the higher performance clutches. I have a Spec3 and love it...never has slipped, but on the same notes I haven't had a chance to throw slicks on yet either.
    4" Stroker Crank/4340 H Beam Rods/Forged Pistons/File to fit Plasma Moly Rings/Patriot S2 LS6 heads/Harland Sharp rockers/SLP Lid/Smooth Bellowes/Comp 232/234 595/598 112 lsa/chrome-moly push rods/LS1 Edit/LS6 intake/Spec3 clutch/Fidenza aluminum flywheel/4.10s/MAC mid-lengths/MAC ORY/SLP catback

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

Multiple response!

1. Thanks alot slowss, not sure how i didn't run across that when I was on ebay earlier. Does that kit just bolt right up to what's there now?

2. Bamaz28, yea it's the clutch. Had a friend of my mom's take a look at it in his shop, and it's about shot. It's got 128K miles on it and just didn't like me dumping all my power into it from 4000RPMs. Call me retarded, but it needed replacing anyway :-D

3.Zoso, after driving it from my place to my parents today to park it until I can fix it, 1st gear is starting to be a little b*tch to get into, and it makes a god awful grinding every time I go to 5th. This thing's gotta go :-D

4. greenville, read my signature for the list of mods and then what do you think i should do upon reading that list?
    Corsa SS catback / Granatelli MAF / Ram air hood with K&N / Hypertech programmed / Power slotted rotors / Hurst short throw / skip shift eliminator / random tech. adjustable torque arm / sway bars / trailing arms / Hotchkins strut tower brace / Eibach 1.5" drop / SLP Bilstein Shocks

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by 98NBM'Maro View Post
    3.Zoso, after driving it from my place to my parents today to park it until I can fix it, 1st gear is starting to be a little b*tch to get into, and it makes a god awful grinding every time I go to 5th. This thing's gotta go :-D
    if its griding and shit thats not the sign of a worn out clutch, unless for some reason it is not disengaging, but griding is due to synchros and internal transmission parts

White
    98 Trans Am

Since most of your mods are suspension and not really power adders, I'd stick to a mild clutch unless you plan on putting a H/C combo or something like that.

Like slowss said, LS7 will suffice nicely and give you some room for mods. I haven't had many clutches, just the SPEC series, so I'd say a Stage 1 or 2. I've heard some negative things about centerforce, but usually with big mods.
    Now, if you plan on dumping your clutch at 4K more, I'd go with a stage 2. (http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...f3339a32b034fe)

Shop around, I'm sure there are some good prices out there. The site at the link above will tell you about how much TRQ each clutch is rated for...for the SPEC series anyways. Link is to the stage2.

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

Be sure to replace it all if you are having someone dig in there anyway because then something else could go and you have to pay for that labor charge again.

White
    98 Trans Am

+1 to NOSWS6...day before my clutch swap my slave cylinder started going out. Luckily, I had already bought and was on my replace list with the clutch.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

Hey guys, thanks for all your responses. I really do appreciate it. I bought a SPEC Stage 2+ clutch / flywheel kit with the intention of replacing the one I THOUGHT I burned up. Yes I said "thought". Turns out that upon taking it all apart with the help of one of my buddies and inspecting the damage, I discovered that I don't have a stock LS1 clutch / flywheel / pressure plate, but rather that of an LS6, and I guess I just burned away a layer of ceramic coating??? So I got in contact with the guy I bought the car from and he said that he had completely forgotten that he had done that, and that the one in there now (LS6) only has about 30,000 mi! So I put her all back together, and ironically enough, she shifts smoother than ever!!! Talk about luck on my part! So as of now, I'm going to hold onto the SPEC just in case anything else should happen or until I have another brilliant idea.

Thanks again!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 98NBM'Maro View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for all your responses. I really do appreciate it. I bought a SPEC Stage 2+ clutch / flywheel kit with the intention of replacing the one I THOUGHT I burned up. Yes I said "thought". Turns out that upon taking it all apart with the help of one of my buddies and inspecting the damage, I discovered that I don't have a stock LS1 clutch / flywheel / pressure plate, but rather that of an LS6, and I guess I just burned away a layer of ceramic coating??? So I got in contact with the guy I bought the car from and he said that he had completely forgotten that he had done that, and that the one in there now (LS6) only has about 30,000 mi! So I put her all back together, and ironically enough, she shifts smoother than ever!!! Talk about luck on my part! So as of now, I'm going to hold onto the SPEC just in case anything else should happen or until I have another brilliant idea.

Thanks again!!!
    please tell me that you did NOT order an aluminum fly wheel...

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

call me a but whats wrong with getting an aluminum flywheel?

red
    1999 trans am convert

AND why the noise and grinding in the first place?

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

do you have the skills to replace it? if not, I'd recommend Crowder and Draper located on Lynchburg Street in Hopewell.

I've had an auto rebuilt there before, and they seem to be a good shop - not doing more than needed. My cars there now for cylinder and probably clutch as well. And its only going to cost about $1000. Most places quotes $2000+.

I can tell you how that goes if you are interested.

EDIT: lol didn't notice your other post. never mind.
    Last edited by Speed Psychosis; 03-09-2008 at 05:24 AM. Reason: I'm a noob

Thread Information