Bleeding Clutch NOT working!

This is a discussion on Bleeding Clutch NOT working! within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; My car sat for 4-5 months over winter and 1 of the times I started it up I checked the ...

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Bleeding Clutch NOT working!

My car sat for 4-5 months over winter and 1 of the times I started it up I checked the clutch fluid and it was bone dry (now I had topped it off last season at some point).

So i filled it up and now I am trying to bleed it and I first tried the mityvac method yesterday for about an hour and got some bubbles out.

Then today I bled the clutch from the bleeder underneath the car for about an hour.

The clutch pedal is still pathetic with no improvement and also when using the clutch bleeder screw the clutch pedal comes right back up after bleeding it. No fluid at all comes out if the clutch if pushed to the floor and then i crack the bleeder. I thought this is how you do it.
    a small mount of black fluid comes out if i open the bleeder and then the pedal is pushed to the floor.

Also it has not pulled in much fluid at all out of the reservoir.

Any suggestions? something is not seeming right.
    THANKS!

Bird Rehab Center ThunderChicken's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Did you bleed the slave and master as well?

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderChicken View Post
    Did you bleed the slave and master as well?
    All I did was fill up the reservoir and then mity vac it and bleeder screw bleed it for about an hour and a half a piece.

No change in anything and basically no fluid was drained or taken from the reservoir

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

*Update*

I flushed/bled what I think is the master by pulling the quick disconnect fitting braided line and pushing in the plunger and that drained until I got clear fluid coming out.

plugged that back in and proceeded to bleed the traditional way. However it doesnt seem like any fluid comes out when holding in pedal and opening/closing the bleeder. Fluid does come out when opening the bleeder>holding in pedal>closing bleeder>releasing pedal.
    But again the pedal comes right back up and is still loose as a goose.

Only good thing appeared that after bleeding the traditional way it finally took in almost a reservoir full of fluid.

Something wrong with my slave? Its weird this happened after sitting over winter.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

These things are notoriously difficult to bled. The traditional pumping the pedal method doesn't work really well like it does on brakes.
    Try different combos of pumping the pedal several times on a row (pulling the pedal back up if necessary) then opening the bleeder. sometimes after the system is bled, it needs to pumped several times before you feel it working/returning. Its like you have to pump the slave cylinder full of fluid and it'll start working.
    Also try the mity vac method again.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Yeah I hear ya. The thing that confuses me is the pedal never sticks down. if its a closed system (no leaks/holes) when the pedal is pushed and bleeder opened/closed shouldnt the pedal stick to the floor?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    when the pedal is pushed and bleeder opened/closed shouldnt the pedal stick to the floor?
    The pedal usually sticks to the floor for me during bleeding...but there is a return spring I believe.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The pedal usually sticks to the floor for me during bleeding...but there is a return spring I believe.
    hmmm yeah everyone who has talked about bleeding says the pedal will stick to the floor...which makes me lean towards having a leak or something broken somewhere.

When the weather gets nicer again I will try 1 more time bleeding the slave and say a prayer so I dont have to figure out dropping my tranny.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

** Another Update **

Hooked up the mityvac correctly now with the canister and nozzle to put it down the tube of my reservoir.

When pumping it after about 3-5 of pressure it instantly starts pulling air and will not hold a vacuum. It is just nonstop air comin through the tube.

My question is, If im not pumpin the clutch while trying this, is the slave even being used or in question? It seems to me that there is a leak/hole in the master somewhere as its just pulling in air nonstop. But without the clutch being pressed is the slave even part of the system yet?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The slave is still part of the system so the leak could be there or the master or the lines.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The slave is still part of the system so the leak could be there or the master or the lines.
    damnit...i was getting my hopes up. well tomorrow im going to pull my master....any way to test the master out of the car?

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

You can try this?

Use a 90 degree spark plug boot.
    At the plug wire boot opening, insert hose that fits snugly and is airtight.
    Open the bleeder just enough that fluid can come out.
    Place the plug side of the boot over the bleeder and the loose end of the hose into a bottle.
    Keep the reservoir full while some fluid drains from the hose.
    Once you've replaced some fluid, re-route the hose up to the reservoir so its end is pointed down and submerged in fluid.
    Use a clip or wire or a helper to hold it in place.
    Pump the pedal a few minutes.
    This forces fluid through the entire system and the air has a chance to escape by bubbling out at the reservoir.

**the Mityvac pull from the reservoir method cannot pull all air out from the slave. This method can.**

I have seen this MityVac thing many times in posts. I have also read the instuctions on some site on how to do it. I don't get how this even works. How would this method even pull air from a closed system that that your not circulating. Please explain......

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It puts a vacuum on the system. A vacuum is the absence of air. All the air is drawn out of the system.

Thread Information