Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Best High Performance Clutch

This is a discussion on Best High Performance Clutch within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by 9T8W66 Look up Katech LS9X Clutch kit for F-body. It's not cheap because it comes with some ...

  1. #21
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Look up Katech LS9X Clutch kit for F-body.
    It's not cheap because it comes with some custom peices for the F-body install, but it holds 800 ft lbs and drives like stock.

    I'm currently running this setup as my car was the mule for the Kit.
    At my modest power level (almost stock) I couldn't tell it was any different except for the amount of grip it had over the original clutch. in the upper R's this thing grips like an electromagnet and yet has only a slight increase in pedal pressure.

    They also have an LS9R setup that holds 960 ft lbs for a slightly higher price.
    I've heard good things about Katech and some of the parts they make for the F-body. Like there C5R Double roller timing chain etc...

    Never even knew they made a clutch... Not 100% sure how much i would trust an unknown clutch maker for my car that will absolutely have over 800ft/lbs tq... Sounds like a good piece but i agree with 35th-ANV-SS that im not a huge fan of parts, esp customs fit ones that dont have much testing behind there performance... Not at all to say your clutch is bad or they make bad clutches, i just think i will need to look into that one more and perhaps ask around here and on other forums to see what user feedback is like..

  2. #22
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    When you say "mule", are you referring that your car was the "first" to get this clutch installed? I've heard of Katech before, but am not familiar with that clutch.

    I'm personally not a fan of installing something on my car that hasn't really been tested all that much, especially something as significant as a clutch.

    Is this the clutch used in the new Vette?

    I just don't know if I'd trust a clutch that is "custom" to a f-body for a really high HP/TQ application. I mean the flywheel/pressure plate/etc is right there by your feet if it explodes.

    Most people don't run a scatter shield.


    I like the piece of mind to go behind companies that have lots of user testing behind them and good reviews... For big things like, Superchargers, Engines, Tires, Clutches etc that run the risk of hurting myself, the car or others i'm sort of skeptical to try with out some heavy research or being the first one to test it out...

    As of right now, the McLeod and Textralia are my 2 front runners. Kinda of split between the 2 of them... I think the McLeod Street Twin had better clamping load then the Tex but on the website quotes being able to hold "1100HP" and says nothing about TQ so i might have to call them to see what the rating it on it... As for the Tex Exo-Skel, it claims "800TQ" which is great but i think it will be cutting it close to what the car will be making if not be under the TQ ill have....

    What do you all think????

  3. #23
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    My Katech unit is the same clutch used in the new ZR1. It uses a custom 6 bolt flywheel vs the LS9's 9 bolt unit. This setup has been used successfully in 5th Gen Camaro's C6's G8's and both early and late CTSV's. Mine is the first one in a 4th Gen F-body, and they were working on the C5 unit when I picked mine up.
    The F-body unit uses a custom slave cylinder and bellhousing spacer to fit the assembly in the car.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

    Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

  4. #24
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    My Katech unit is the same clutch used in the new ZR1. It uses a custom 6 bolt flywheel vs the LS9's 9 bolt unit. This setup has been used successfully in 5th Gen Camaro's C6's G8's and both early and late CTSV's. Mine is the first one in a 4th Gen F-body, and they were working on the C5 unit when I picked mine up.
    The F-body unit uses a custom slave cylinder and bellhousing spacer to fit the assembly in the car.
    The ZR1 is pushing like 550rwhp i would assume? Since its 626hp or whatever the true HP number is... So the twin disc i would assume could handel up to about 700-750HP... And how much does it go for?

  5. #25
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    i seen a guy blow his clutch out on youtube and a big chunk of it came shooting through the floor board by the pedals but somehow it didnt hit him.. Crazy
    Its called death of a trans am...he was running 650+hp/tq thru a LS7 (duh)
    Im stuck between monster stage 3/4 premium and textralia OZ700....
    Ill be running a bolt on ls6 with stock suspension (for now)
    Its a dd but will see track time... One day it will be forged and procharged

  6. #26
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    Op....
    The TQ and HP ratings are normally the same (or so it seems)

  7. #27
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    i find it hard to beat the monster for the price

  8. #28
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    The ZR1 is pushing like 550rwhp i would assume? Since its 626hp or whatever the true HP number is... So the twin disc i would assume could handel up to about 700-750HP... And how much does it go for?
    I won't post a Non sponsor link, But the Kit goes for $1849.99 (like I said not cheap)
    This is from their website

    -For 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird V8 & 2004-2006 GTO
    -Twin disk clutch
    -Clutch disks and pressure plate from the ZR1
    -Aluminum flywheel with 6 bolt pattern for standard LS engines
    -Includes Katech custom slave cylinder
    -Includes pressure plate bolts
    -Includes bellhousing spacer (less than .5", requires no modifications)
    -8lbs lighter than the stock Z06 clutch/flywheel assembly
    -Flywheel weighs 12.0lbs.
    -Drives like a stock ZR1 - stock pedal feel
    -Proven to 700rwhp (drag racing) 800rwhp (street)
    -800+ ft-lbs torque capacity
    -No neutral noise or chattering
    -All of the benefits of a twin disk clutch and none of the trade-offs

  9. #29
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Op....
    The TQ and HP ratings are normally the same (or so it seems)
    If this is in fact the case then would be awesome for the McLeod Street Twin cuz it's rated at 1200hp as per the website... So even if the TQ rating is a little behind it's still pretty powerful!

  10. #30
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    I won't post a Non sponsor link, But the Kit goes for $1849.99 (like I said not cheap)
    This is from their website

    -For 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird V8 & 2004-2006 GTO
    -Twin disk clutch
    -Clutch disks and pressure plate from the ZR1
    -Aluminum flywheel with 6 bolt pattern for standard LS engines
    -Includes Katech custom slave cylinder
    -Includes pressure plate bolts
    -Includes bellhousing spacer (less than .5", requires no modifications)
    -8lbs lighter than the stock Z06 clutch/flywheel assembly
    -Flywheel weighs 12.0lbs.
    -Drives like a stock ZR1 - stock pedal feel
    -Proven to 700rwhp (drag racing) 800rwhp (street)
    -800+ ft-lbs torque capacity
    -No neutral noise or chattering
    -All of the benefits of a twin disk clutch and none of the trade-offs
    DAMN! That is pricy but then again what twin disc isnt.... Sounds like it has awesome stats... I would be curious to try it my self seeing how you like it so much seems like a good testament to a well made clutch!

  11. #31
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    DAMN! That is pricy but then again what twin disc isnt.... Sounds like it has awesome stats... I would be curious to try it my self seeing how you like it so much seems like a good testament to a well made clutch!
    As far as I know this is the only factory twin disc available for a GM car ever, and it's obviously on GM's most powerful car to date. You have to think it's pretty stout to handle all that power and do it reliably, Esp. for a car with a factory warranty.
    I personally am not interested in make huge power but it's nice to know that my Clutch assembly is up to the task even if I change my mind.

    Good luck with whatever you decide on !

  12. #32
    Senior Member NeeD4SpeeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,720

    Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    As far as I know this is the only factory twin disc available for a GM car ever, and it's obviously on GM's most powerful car to date. You have to think it's pretty stout to handle all that power and do it reliably, Esp. for a car with a factory warranty.
    I personally am not interested in make huge power but it's nice to know that my Clutch assembly is up to the task even if I change my mind.

    Good luck with whatever you decide on !
    Absolutely man... It looks like a great clutch and i also agree that GM actually making a FACTORY twin disc clutch is pretty astonishing... Plus with the spec you listed it should be able to munch up whatever you throw at it... I'm seriously looking into it and will be comparing it with the McLeod and the Textralia clutches...

    I appriciate all the input you've added and good luck with whatever more you decide to do with your car! Looks badass!


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. June 2011 Chevy High Performance Bolt-Ons - Performance Gain
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 03:20 PM
  2. March 2011 Chevy High Performance Q&A - Performance Q&A
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 09:50 PM
  3. November 2010 Chevy High Performance Q&A - Performance Q&A
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 12:30 AM
  4. High Performance Clutch Upgrade Needed
    By 7camaro7 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 06:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •