Thread: bad clutch test

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

bad clutch test

So ive posted a thread before asking how to tell if your clutch is bad.. somone told me put it in high gear (5th or 6th) and try to take off around 2000rpms

so i tried it and the car stalled (which meant clutch was ok)that was a couple months ago.

now i tried it again about 10 mins ago and i took off very slowly and i heard a chattering noise..

so my question is is the chattering noise another problem on top of needed a new clutch or do i just change the clutch and it should be fine?

please reply!
    2001 Camaro SS M6 SLP LMII, Lid
    1987 iroc-z RIP 5.7 TPI Full exhaust, lingenfelter intake runners (gone but not forgotten)
    1991 bmw 325i DD

Doing that will kill a good clutch

The chattering is due to the clutch getting hot,,,and probably has now caused hot spots on the flywheel and pressure plate.

A better way to check for a slipping clutch would be to have the car in high gear at a slow speed and mash the throttle.
    Say 4th or 5th gear at about 1500 rpms. If the clutch holds there probably isn't any worries. If the engines revs and car doesn't accelerate, there might be a problem

Most worn clutches slip in this mannor, because they have the least amount of gear multipication to move the car along.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

i think im just gonna replace it lol it engages way at the top and it's had the stock clutch for 67k miles now... its gonna have to be done sooner or later... but ill try that test too thanks. anybody else got advice or words of wisdom?

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

you are testing it incorrectly... find a descent hill, approach it at about 60MPH or so in 6th gear. while going up the hill, smash the gas and watch the RPMs. If they shoot up quickly and you gain no speed really then your clutch is damn near toast. As stated before, do not try to take off in 6th gear from a dead stop.

Doing this test on a hill around 60MPH in 6th gear is the best test you can do on a clutch. w/out tearing everything apart to actually look at it.
    Last edited by TACE02; 10-08-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Thread Information