Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Anyone running a MGW shifter?

This is a discussion on Anyone running a MGW shifter? within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; thread size oh wow i feel stupid haha.. anyone got a good deal on a stocker Hurst leather mines shot...

Maroon
    2000 z28 6 speed

thread size oh wow i feel stupid haha.. anyone got a good deal on a stocker Hurst leather mines shot
    2001 B4C Totaled 4/25/11
    2000 Z28 M6 Cammed N' Slammed (SVT KLR)

Black
    1999 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    +1 I put my MGW in on Saturday. LOVING it. Very straightforward simple easy mod. Anyone can do it in under an hour. Makes the car feel very different.

I can hit 3rd from anywhere in the pattern with 100% accuracy. only reason i should ever miss it again is if i'm off the clutch before i click it into gear

takes a good amount of effort to get it into 6th but you aren't really using that gear too much and 1-5 is pretty much cake. I'm VERY pleased.
    Done this same thing twice LOL!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Reverse is a little tough for me

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

i have the MGW and LOVE it you should take the 5.0 you just bought for $50 make a small profit and put it towards the MGW best shifter you'll ever buy.......

Black
    1999 camaro

How would you guys compare the MGW to the stock hurst with a Lou's short stick? All these good reviews kinda make me want one if it's that big of a difference.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

one thing i really really like about the MGW is that you can adjust the hight of the stick from wild to mild, also you can get any thread pattern you want there for you can put any knob you want on it. it also changes the pivot point which makes it a true short shift. the hurst while is a shorter throw then the plain old stock shifter (build without hurst shifter option) its nothing like shifting with the MGW i've never missed third with the MGW but could miss it a few times a day with the hurst.. keep in mind i was driving it 300 miles a day

BLACK
    1999 camaro ss

MGW is the shit. compared to the stock hurst its pure bliss. dead silent but sometimes its a little tough to get into reverse... but when you rowing through gears its perfect. 2-3 shift is straight up.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by bgon99ss View Post
    MGW is the shit. compared to the stock hurst its pure bliss. dead silent but sometimes its a little tough to get into reverse... but when you rowing through gears its perfect. 2-3 shift is straight up.
    i agree its a little tough sometimes to get reverse but thats because its such a short throw it seems like you have to push a little harder to make it through the gate and into reverse. how ever this minor problem is outweighed with the simple fact that this shifter is the sh!t to drive with.
    if its really a issue you can always extent the shifter up a little to give you more leverage

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

i wouldn't say the difficulty into reverse is caused by the length of the stick. it's very obvious that the MGW has a much firmer spring than the stock shifter. This is why you can hit third from 6th or 2nd just by tossing it straight up. the centering is very strong.

I'll agree it's silent as all hell and the action is VERY smooth. Makes it feel like a whole different transmission.

I was driving today and just thinking about how wonderful it feels.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    one thing i really really like about the MGW is that you can adjust the hight of the stick from wild to mild, also you can get any thread pattern you want there for you can put any knob you want on it. it also changes the pivot point which makes it a true short shift. the hurst while is a shorter throw then the plain old stock shifter (build without hurst shifter option) its nothing like shifting with the MGW i've never missed third with the MGW but could miss it a few times a day with the hurst.. keep in mind i was driving it 300 miles a day
    I have an aftermarket Billet Hurst shifter with solid stops and I've never missed third gear.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have an aftermarket Billet Hurst shifter with solid stops and I've never missed third gear.
    yes but thats not the same as the hurst shifter that comes with the car.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree. Just saying not all Hurst shifters are an issue is all.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Never thought to mention if u have trouble getting into reverse remove the upper console and see if the shifter hits the lower half of the console, I tool a file to a section of mine because it hit.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I let Cammed Goat drive my hawk on the 4th. He has a hurst in his GTO. Probably a good resource for comparison opinions. I might shoot him a message and ask him to chime in on this thread

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Got it, Dylan. Yeah, the MGW is WAAAAAAY different than my Hurst Billet Pro. While I was driving LSCyaL8r's Hawk, I had to think about shifting BEFORE I shifted because the MGW is VERY close in the shift pattern design. If I was in third, I thought I was in first. That is how close the shifts are. Not to mention the Monster clutch in his car. SHEESH!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

hmmm tight shift pattern, short throws, sticky clutch with fairly short travel.... yeah. Maybe my car isn't best suited for street driving

But get on it and it's a freaking BLAST to bang through the gears in.

Too bad about it being stock power though.

I should also mention that between the solid engine mounts and poly trans mount that the stick does not move AT ALL. under any circumstances. EVER.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I remember when you got on it on the Southern State Pkwy. You were GONE.

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    i agree its a little tough sometimes to get reverse but thats because its such a short throw it seems like you have to push a little harder to make it through the gate and into reverse. how ever this minor problem is outweighed with the simple fact that this shifter is the sh!t to drive with.
    if its really a issue you can always extent the shifter up a little to give you more leverage
    Just replaced the stock Hurst shifter with the MGW. Really cool!! A little slow to spring back from 5&6 gate to 3&4 gate but hoping it will loosen up after awhile. Yeah, reverse is a bit tite, I just flip my palm to face right and slap it out and up. Usually works. Also, I don't think the stock rubber boot under the console helps any either. Mine is very thick AND STIFF.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

If anyone with an mgw is having a tough time going into reverse I suggest taking the top half of your console off and make sure nothing hits. Only complaint I have with mine is the shifter hit a section of my lower console. Took a file to it and gave it some room, much easier now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information