Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

adjustable master cylinder and speed bleeder line

both products are made by Tick. just wondering if anyone has any experience with one or both products. since i doubt i'll be able to afford the gun that i really want for another 15 years or so...anger...i figure i'll be putting a few bucks into the camaro's tranny come spring. first on the list would be these two products. i hear that the adjustable master cylinder corrects the hard into 1st and reverse problem and that the speed bleeder line makes uber quick work of bleeding the clutch. and all for around $400 i'd be pretty happy.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I'm with ya on the tick mc and bleeder line, putting in the ls7 clutch, tick set up soon as she comes home from her winter nap. Have done a ton of reading on the tick seems well worth it and the speed bleeder line from what I read worth every penny.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

was thinking about buying the tick MC as well shifting between 2-3 at high rpm is almost impossible now. i'll be following this

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I never drove my car without the tick but it is very nice. Adjust it where you want it and never worry about if it's up to the job of hard driving. I don't have the speed bleeder but I wish I did lol the tick is worth every penny I never get locked out of gear...

To everyone here though keep in mind poor shifting can be caused by a bad clutch and worn pressure plate that won't fillet release anymore. The self adjusting pressure plate on gm clutches breaks in with the stock master and many times the tick will make it better but since it's already broke in you won't fully fix the issue. If that's the case a new clutch is the answer.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

about 5000 miles on a monster stage three, shifts fine except 2-3 at hgh rpm, i'm thinking tick will help a great deal.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

yes a tick should do you fine. being that you have a monster the self adjust gm pressure plate doesn't come into play. ask tatertot on here about his setup he has the stage 3 and tick, i have driven it multiple times and never had a problem banging gears

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

thanx redbird

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have the adjustable master cylinder but not the speed bleeder. I have no problem bleeding the clutch the normal way, so I opted to save myself some money. The master cylinder on the other hand is a work of art. It may take a few hours and probably a friend's help to get it all lined up, but it is definitely worth it.

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

I have the Tick adjustable master cylinder with a Monster stage 2 clutch, speed bleeder, and a MGW short throw shifter. My stock clutch went out and I went ahead and replaced it all while I was right there. I love the setup. A dream to drive. I would recommend the Tick master 100%. But putting in the remote bleeder involves dropping the transmission. As someone else stated, difficulty shifting into reverse or first may be a bad clutch. If it is the clutch, Colorado Speed usually has the Monster clutches on sale. Monster clutches are expensive, but worth the money. Whatever clutch you do choose (if you do choose one), make sure you replace the flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, and the slave cylinder. Skipping the bolts can cause the bolts to fatigue or possible fouling of the clutch with motor oil. The slave cylinder is cheap enough, it would be foolish not to replace it.

Be warned - the master cylinder flows more fluid in a shorter stroke to overcome the shifting issues these cars are prone to. With more fluid in a shorter stroke you lose some mechanical advantage provided by the clutch pedal. That means the pedal is a bit stiffer. The Monster clutch combined with the Tick master make for a stiff combination. My knees aren't the best, I spend a lot of time on my feet on steel decks and concrete floors. After 10-12 hours of work, rush hour traffic kills my left knee. My Camaro is a toy though, I drive a truck (with an auto) everyday.

After swapping the clutch and master I still had the modding bug, so I bought the MGW short throw shifter. It was one of the more expensive shifters for the F-bodys, but it is a work of art. Well built by an American company right here in the USA. Very nice to use. 2-3 shift is thoughtless due to stiff centering springs.

Another note, if you do install the Tick master, the clutch pedal will be considerably closer to the floor due to the master cylinder design. The instructions don't mention it, but make sure to readjust the clutch pedal switch. It is a small button switch that pushes against the clutch pedal arm which tells the computer when the clutch is pushed in. If you don't readjust it (like I didn't) the SES light comes on and the cruise control won't work either. PITA.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

good info thanks everyone. i have considered the distinct possibility that i need a new clutch considering that the car has about 110k on the clock. i have also considered that i may have bad shift forks or syncros as well which could lead to hard shifting. i already have over nearly $300 saved up for everything so i should be good to go by the time summer comes around. i'll probably also have a shop do the work for me. there is a certain sense of accomplishment and "i put that in" when doing a DIY project...but since it took me so long with the headers last year i'm not too interested to piss around with a system that i have zero experience with.

Thread Information