Black
    2000 Trans-Am

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!

So, i just bought this sweet Trans Am, it's a 2000, and an M6, obviously. It's beautiful, black with a beige interior. Spotless, goes like hell.
    Bought it with 12500 and it now has 22500 or so.
    Well, it has an intermittent problem with Reverse. I've also scanned the forums on this, but still wonder.
    I'll put it in reverse, feel it engage, and as I back up normally, it'll BANG outta gear. That's problem number 1. Only sometimes does it do this.
    Problem number 2 is just weird. I'll put it in reverse, and sometimes feel it go in just fine, and just as I add throttle and back off the clutch, all she'll do is Whizz and Grind, and the car won't move.
    Once again, this is an intermittent problem, but still a major pain in the a$$.
    Any input is seriously appreciated, and the warranty is up so I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay a fortune to have it torn apart.
    By the way, I just had the fluid changed, and there was aparently no metal in it.....did I chip off a tooth? All solenoids and fuses are good to go, and I don't drive like a complete tool, so I don't know how this happened.

Black
    2000 Z28

Your transmission is fine in regards to your second problem... thats your reverse inhibitor circuit malfunctioning... mine has it as well and mine is a 2000 hmm....///

I dont know how to fix it though, but apparently if you put it into another gear before you put it in reverse that wont happen... I havent had it happen in weeks now for some reason...

As far as the banging out of gear... beats me... might be a tooth, but i dont trust the stock shifter... mine floats all over the place and makes me nervous... short throw on the way..

Black
    2000 Trans-Am

thanks....i'll look into the shifter. i usually go from first or second into reverse and give it the tranny enough time to slow itself down before I do anything...

Black
    2000 Trans-Am

any other ideas? how much should a rebuild cost? I can't take it out and send it to T56rebuilds.com.... but I figure the price should be comparable...any help on this misery is appreciated.

Black
    2000 Z28

well unless it's actually a problem i wouldnt worry about it, a slight "whizzing and grinding" is not too much to worry about... in my car it sounded more like plastic grinding than any metal parts so i dont worry about it... but about jumping out of gear... i dont know

my knowledge on transmission rebuilds is limited so i dont know what to tell you, myself I would just drop my trans and do my own rebuild, but that isn't a good idea for some... maybes just buy a new one if you have the money and really hate the problem...

im sure there are others on here who know more about trans problems then i do

we generally do a tranny rebuild (basic) for about $1200. you can also upgrade parts inside the tranny as well (which obviously jacks the price up a bit)check out ddperformance.com they have a whole group of packages you can do.

white
    2000 TA WS6

$1200???!!! Thats rediculous!

'02 blue, '85 black&gold
    02 Firehawk #723,85 T/A

Its a Northeast thing... what would it cost in L'ville? Multiply by 1.25 and there u go...1200 bucks

04 tt ss ute

have you got an aftermarket shifter?? With the ripshift shifter if the stop bolts arnt adjusted properly you will have similar problems to what your having

My 02 has been doing it intermittently for a while. You just have to take it out of R and re engage it. Popping out of gear seems strange but I'de live with it if it is only R.

'02 blue, '85 black&gold
    02 Firehawk #723,85 T/A

I spoke to an engineer at Tremec a couple of years ago about my problems with their T-56 and 1 comment he had was that the stop bolts werent necessary. I use a Pro 5.o

'02 blue, '85 black&gold
    02 Firehawk #723,85 T/A

Bled the clutch yet? There are two magnets in the case so you might not see much metal during a drain. Mine had bits of a syncro key leftover from the dealer overhaul. Plastic fork pads on the 1/2 fork were broken(I shift hard) so did you notice any bits of plastic in the drain pan? Could be that if you ever got pissed about lack of reverse and smacked the shifter(like I did the 1/2) the pads could be broken/missing and not fully engaging...

'02 blue, '85 black&gold
    02 Firehawk #723,85 T/A

OH yea... I am going to use the stops on the shifter to maybe prevent the little gremlin snapring on the5/6 rail from popping off again and locking the thing in gear.

Your snap ring came off because it was re-used after being over-stretched by your rebuilder. New rings or rings installed by a professional do not come off.

'02 blue, '85 black&gold
    02 Firehawk #723,85 T/A

You are right, the snap ring was sprung as found. It was installed by the mechanic at the dealer which overhauled the tranny. I've done my own manual tranny work since '72. M-20 & 21's. Oh and I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic (A&P). I've done industrial maintenance the last 10 years so I understand the need for new snap rings.

Thats coo, most don't undertand that lesson untill it bites. If you look at the rebuild manual, it suggests replacement of the snap rings , but what do the manufactureres know.

Thread Information