99TArag

99 TArag 6 speed

haven't seen any info simular to my problem so let me see if i have "one of a kind". just got this car last march, 36,000 miles, had problem down shifting from 6 - 5, nothing wrong going up. after 3 or 4 months it started working correctly.... two months ago it not only stopped allowing me to down shift from 6 - 5 but also has almost completely stopped 5 - 6, it will go if i forcefully hold it there usualy with a slite grind and/or clunk, which i know is probably creating other problems. about the same time started having problems with master cyl, replaced thinking this might be the problem which in turn caused the slave cyl to fail.... so both have been changed but still have 5 - 6 problem (both ways). am i looking at a tranney problem or a shifter cause??????? thax for any help...............

You have not solved your clutch release problem. If you dis-engage the clutch and have to hold / bear down on the stick to get any gear, the clutch is not releasing and you are wearing synchronizers. This should be evident in other gears as well but perhaps your 5th/6th synchro has seen more wear(from earlier release issues).

99TArag

99 TArag m6

well, let me try this again (lost first response to you, syber space???) all other gear changes work fine. when i first got the car i couldn't down shift 6-5 which i think was possibly the master cyl, but for some reason it stated working for a while. what i am feeling now is the shifter is 'hard" against something, max throw/travel. it acts like the gear gets just close enough to synch (little grid) and then grabs (clunk) pulling "in". as all of these cars have probably been driven, i too have slammed up through the gear box and possibly damaged this area............ having driven/mechaniced a circle track car for 12 years, feel i know what i'm experiencing is a max throw/travel, i am not familiar with top loader shifters or these trannies. could something have gotten bent?? thank you for your response, got any more ideeeesss or thoughts ??????

There is a common shift fork for 5th & 6th If you bend it , you will likely jump out of one gear while over trveling into the other( sticking in gear would be the extreme) . If the fork pads are damaged, a lesser degree of problems would exist but could easily progress to bending the fork. Although this is an iron fork, it has a thin x-section and is easily bent with missed shifts ( unlikely it happens with just one , but possible). You could also( seems at least part of your problem) have a worn out the blocker ring of the synchronizer. This would make synchronization slow. These are the likelies in a 5th/6th only problem set.

Thread Information