black
    98 Z-28

6 speed rebuild/repairs d&d performance

I'm a new member and decided to join. I have a stock black 98 Z-28 w/42,000miles. It's been a great car, no problems since new. Consistent 13.50's @ 106 at Milan dragway. Years ago I did the clutch line drill mod and installed a M/Y 2002 T/O bearing.

I am looking for some info on MM6 rebuild.

D&D is about 25 miles from my house, any feedback (positve or negitive) about dealing with them

My trans is grinding on shifts so once the car gets stored the trans is coming out.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtz28 View Post
    I'm a new member and decided to join. I have a stock black 98 Z-28 w/42,000miles. It's been a great car, no problems since new. Consistent 13.50's @ 106 at Milan dragway. Years ago I did the clutch line drill mod and installed a M/Y 2002 T/O bearing.

D&D is about 25 miles from my house, any feedback (positve or negitive) about dealing with them

My trans is grinding on shifts so once the car gets stored the trans is coming out.
    I feel your pain. I'll probably be doing the same thing.
    I've heard good things about D&D but I've never dealt with them personally. Mostly my mustang friends did business with them. I've also heard they have a viper trans upgrade though its very costly.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by cjtz28 View Post

Welcome to the site!!!

I have heard good things about them as well, but as stated above, never personally dealt with them. Why are you thinking of a trans rebuild? What I would do first is make sure its not the clutch that is going out on you causing the grinding issue. A stock T56 should last a long time and with the few bolt ons you have, should be good to go.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Welcome to the site!!!

I have heard good things about them as well, but as stated above, never personally dealt with them. Why are you thinking of a trans rebuild? What I would do first is make sure its not the clutch that is going out on you causing the grinding issue. A stock T56 should last a long time and with the few bolt ons you have, should be good to go.
    His is a '98 (as is mine), so our T56's have the earlier style paper blocker rings, which don't tend to wear very well. They just aren't as durable as the newer style carbon fiber blockers, which your '02 would have came with.

T56 is a super durable transmission (best 6 speed car transmission in the world, short of the new TR6060) and should outlast any car its put into. However, wear and tear parts such as blocker rings don't last forever, an eventually have to be replaced/upgraded, especially considering the way F-bodies are driven. Although is car only has 42,000 on it, it is a 98, so its already 10 years old, and all that shifting over those 10 years will wear out components.

As was mentioned, before rebuilding the transmission, make sure its not the clutch thats causing the issue. A very simple test is to start the car with the transmission in neutral and the clutch to the floor. Then shift through the gears without releasing the clutch. If you get any gear clash or if its difficult to shift, your clutch is dragging, and is causing at least part of your problem. Also, if you get gear clash while trying to go into reverse from a complete stop, that is another sign of a clutch disengagement issue.

Black
    98 T/A

My 98 T56 was rebuilt at 70k miles after the shifter locked out 5th and 6th and mucked up the synchros. The guy who rebuilt it obviously didn't do a very good job as I now, after another 70k, have problems with having to hold the clutch in in order not to get grinding in 2-6. The clutch, pressure plate, flywheel were replaced as well at 70k.

Think it is time to have it rebuilt right. My last rebuild cost me $2000 including the new clutch/pp/flywheel.

Where is D&D?

Wixom, MI

Thread Information