5th Gear pop/knock

This is a discussion on 5th Gear pop/knock within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Hey fellas, I have an 02 TA with an M6 and a pro 5.0 shifter, recently I started having this ...

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

5th Gear pop/knock

Hey fellas, I have an 02 TA with an M6 and a pro 5.0 shifter, recently I started having this odd popping feeling in 5th gear, as i put it in and engage the clutch, it feels fine. But once i give it any gas the shifter knocks/pops back into my hand, but still stays in gear, and you can hear it with the radio off. If I give it gas real quick then let off, it is a clunking noise in the trans and a synchro mesh sound. It sounds bad when you give it gas and let off hard, but other wise it is just the distinct pop back into my hand whenever i give the car some gas, and 5th gear has more travel/movement than in any other gear, you can move it forward and back a small bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thought about going to the dealer, but don't want to get screwed over on labor. And the shifter has been fine for months, so i don't think it is that .

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Well I guess no one else has this problem but now its a much bigger one, the other night i put the car in 5th and opened it up a little and got up to around 120 then let off, took it out of 5th and tried going into 6th and it wouldnt go, nor would it go into any other, and when i let out the clutch it would grind like a mother. So i pull over on the off ramp and shut it off and let it cool down a bit. After that, it grinded into any gear, and finally i got it going in 1st, still grinding loud as hell. Once out on the road and shifted to 2nd, it was fine, 3rd and 4th were fine, but i tried putting it back in 5th and it grinded and didnt want to stay in gear when i gave it gas unless i held the shifter forward, and it wont go into 6th either. So someone PLEASE tell me that my trans is not screwed up internally, it only has 21000 miles on it . Thanks to anyone who has some knowledge on this sort of thing!

It sound like you have something really broken inside the box. It is not your shifter. These things don't fix themselves either. I would get it addressed before more parts are damaged. Loose bits floating inside a countershaft transmission can also be a safety issue.

sure sounds bad if its selective issues in one gear. Don't feel bad my trans is toast as well

Thread Information