Results 1 to 19 of 19

4.10 gear install questions

This is a discussion on 4.10 gear install questions within the Manual Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; a friend of mine, who has been resplining axles and doing 4x4 rear ends for over 20years "says" he can ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    sac
    Posts
    43

    red
    1998

    Smile 4.10 gear install questions

    a friend of mine, who has been resplining axles and doing 4x4 rear ends for over 20years "says" he can install 4.10 in my camaro.
    he also said i only NEED ring and pinion NOT baring set.

    there is nothing wrong with my oem rear end now. just opened it up and put $50 of oil in it a few thousand miles ago and everything looked fine.


    so is this true, that i only NEED gears not shims or bearings?[/B]

    thanks for the help


    oh and the reason i am having him do it is because i dont have $500 for a shop to do it, and that means that i dont have money for a 12bolt. hell i was planning on reusing the liquid gold oil "after filtering it"


    and going for this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

  2. #2
    Member importhater81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    chicagoland,Il
    Age
    36
    Posts
    333

    black
    02 ss camaro

    You're going to need the install kit,which includes pinion and carrier bearings,crush sleeve,pinion seal,pinion gear and differential shims.

    Anybody that has ever set up new gears in a diff knows that shims are a must,as the shims that are used with the factory gears are highly unlikely to work with a new gear to obtain proper pinion depth and backlash.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    sac
    Posts
    43

    red
    1998

    thanks import hater. thats what i needed to confirm. thats what i was thinking but i didnt want to question him yet.


    does 500-600 for a shop to do it sound right?

  4. #4
    Member importhater81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    chicagoland,Il
    Age
    36
    Posts
    333

    black
    02 ss camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by red98ss View Post
    thanks import hater. thats what i needed to confirm. thats what i was thinking but i didnt want to question him yet.


    does 500-600 for a shop to do it sound right?
    Depends on what the shop's labor rate is. To install gears and set them up right is generally about a 3-5 hour job. So I'd say that price is probably in the ballpark.

  5. #5
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by red98ss View Post
    a friend of mine, who has been resplining axles and doing 4x4 rear ends for over 20years "says" he can install 4.10 in my camaro.
    he also said i only NEED ring and pinion NOT baring set.

    there is nothing wrong with my oem rear end now. just opened it up and put $50 of oil in it a few thousand miles ago and everything looked fine.


    so is this true, that i only NEED gears not shims or bearings?[/B]

    thanks for the help


    oh and the reason i am having him do it is because i dont have $500 for a shop to do it, and that means that i dont have money for a 12bolt. hell i was planning on reusing the liquid gold oil "after filtering it"


    and going for this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
    Maybe he has a pile of shims laying around he can use. And maybe he is planning on removing and reusing the current bearings that are on your pinion gear. The side bearings will stay on the differential with just a gear swap.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    sac
    Posts
    43

    red
    1998

    i was thinking that too. what happens if he reuses the bearings?

  7. #7
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Nothing bad will happen if he can get them on and off without damage.

  8. #8
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    What brand of gears? I hear richmond are notorious for being noisy.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by red98ss View Post
    thanks import hater. thats what i needed to confirm. thats what i was thinking but i didnt want to question him yet.


    does 500-600 for a shop to do it sound right?
    I paid $600 for everything gears, install kit and installation along with speedo calibration.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the tool box....
    Posts
    22

    Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

    I would ask to see if he has the shims and little misc. parts to do the install. I have done a couple of 7.5 ring and pinion swaps and I have quite the treasure trove of little misc. parts. He may already have all that you need and just would require the ring and pinion, with fluid of course.

    Its always better to ask then to guess.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the tool box....
    Posts
    22

    Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I paid $600 for everything gears, install kit and installation along with speedo calibration.
    Now thats a damn good price!!!!!!

    I think when I bought the 4.10s for my old 7.5 (about 4 years ago) I paid around $500 for the ring and pinion, deluxe install kit, fluid, and a girdle cover with shipping and I did all the work. Good find.

  12. #12
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by red98ss View Post
    thanks import hater. thats what i needed to confirm. thats what i was thinking but i didnt want to question him yet.


    does 500-600 for a shop to do it sound right?
    If he's charging you $500-$600 for a gear swap...he's definitely not your friend. Maybe I mis-read? If so, how much does this experienced "friend" want to do the job, and will he stand behind his work, friend or not?
    I could maybe understand that price for a shop to do the job, IF that price is for parts, fluids and labor, with warranty.

    If it takes the person/place anywhere near 5 hours to setup a rear, then they shouldn't be doing them. I've been a professional "mechanic" for over 25 years, with the last 12 or so rebuilding drive units for industrial lift trucks, which are basically bigassed rears. More importantly, I've done probably a hundred or so gear swaps both for myself and "on the side", in my driveway, on my back (with air tools), and NORMALLY I am done in 2 hours or so.
    2002 Silverado Z71 ECSB HPTuners tuned by yours truly
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 6.0, 4L80E, Rear mount Turbo, etc...
    webpage: http://www.fquick.com/rel3rd/

  13. #13
    Member importhater81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    chicagoland,Il
    Age
    36
    Posts
    333

    black
    02 ss camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    If he's charging you $500-$600 for a gear swap...he's definitely not your friend. Maybe I mis-read? If so, how much does this experienced "friend" want to do the job, and will he stand behind his work, friend or not?
    I could maybe understand that price for a shop to do the job, IF that price is for parts, fluids and labor, with warranty.

    If it takes the person/place anywhere near 5 hours to setup a rear, then they shouldn't be doing them. I've been a professional "mechanic" for over 25 years, with the last 12 or so rebuilding drive units for industrial lift trucks, which are basically bigassed rears. More importantly, I've done probably a hundred or so gear swaps both for myself and "on the side", in my driveway, on my back (with air tools), and NORMALLY I am done in 2 hours or so.
    He asked if the price the SHOP quoted him sounded about right.You being a "professional mechanic" should understand that a shop is not going to charge him how long it takes them to do the job,but what it calls for book time.

    Sorry I didn't clarify that in that post,as most rear end gear swaps and overhauls pay between 3-5 hours.

  14. #14
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    He asked if the price the SHOP quoted him sounded about right.You being a "professional mechanic" should understand that a shop is not going to charge him how long it takes them to do the job,but what it calls for book time.

    Sorry I didn't clarify that in that post,as most rear end gear swaps and overhauls pay between 3-5 hours.
    I used to work flat rate, 50% labor commission so I surely know the game, lol.
    FWIW, I usually charge $50 an hour for sidejobs, but even though I usually am done in 2 hours, I'm not doing a gear swap on anything for a hundred bucks. I still charge what I consider fair price ($200-$250), while giving as good if not better quality work than most local shops near me.

    I guess I misread...or misunderstood what you were replying. Or mixed both of your guys answers up, or whatever.

  15. #15
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    Hrm........gear set $160 (Motive), rear end kit $100, my guy to set them up $60. Looks like I really should order my gears.

    He has built me 2 engines and my father 3 and set up a few rears for us with no issues so I trust him. He is in his 70s and builds dirt track engines as well as sets up rears for the racers.

  16. #16
    TunedByFrost supporter rel3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    723

    Cranberry Red
    1971 Chevelle SS 402

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Hrm........gear set $160 (Motive), rear end kit $100, my guy to set them up $60. Looks like I really should order my gears.

    He has built me 2 engines and my father 3 and set up a few rears for us with no issues so I trust him. He is in his 70s and builds dirt track engines as well as sets up rears for the racers.
    Well, you can't beat that pricing.

    Just to share something else with you and whomever...
    No idea what your plans are for your car, but my old SS wound up being a simple "bolt-on, baby cammed and 3600 stalled" toy, and in the end, 342 gears were the best all around gear for me. Car ran 11.61@116 with 342's, 11.61@116 with 410's....sixty foots were the same as well, averaging roughly 1.59. Biggest difference between the two was gas mileage. Much worse with 410's, while still running the exact same at track...Not to mention I didn't like screaming the car through the traps like it did with the 410's. It was a no-brainer as to what gears for me to keep. Just my opinion from my experience.

  17. #17
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    Well, you can't beat that pricing.

    Just to share something else with you and whomever...
    No idea what your plans are for your car, but my old SS wound up being a simple "bolt-on, baby cammed and 3600 stalled" toy, and in the end, 342 gears were the best all around gear for me. Car ran 11.61@116 with 342's, 11.61@116 with 410's....sixty foots were the same as well, averaging roughly 1.59. Biggest difference between the two was gas mileage. Much worse with 410's, while still running the exact same at track...Not to mention I didn't like screaming the car through the traps like it did with the 410's. It was a no-brainer as to what gears for me to keep. Just my opinion from my experience.
    I agree 100%. Car was not faster with 4.10's, it just went through the gears quicker. I just switched back to 3.42's, and I like them much better.

    The bottom line is gears can give you a mechanical advantage when launching, but they cannot make your car accelerate any faster.
    Last edited by Wesman; 11-30-2010 at 06:11 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    perhaps just 3.73s than.....lol Too bad there isnt a 3.55 option!

  19. #19
    Junior Member 98SSLS1OWNER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    11

    Red
    1998 Camaro SS

    I agree

    I have a cam and heads SS. I changed to a 4.10 and gained nothing but more gas receipts. On the mechanical side no issues with the motive gears, they have held up very well.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2002 Firebird Trans Am / Install 7.5-7.625-4:10 gear install
    By Buick455 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2015, 06:17 AM
  2. Help: GEAR INSTALL 3.73 vs 4.10 ????????????
    By FirehawkM6 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
  3. gear install
    By badblazeSS in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 10:16 PM
  4. looking for 3.73 gear/install kit
    By clg82 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 05:36 PM
  5. how much for gear install?
    By 00maroz28 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 02:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •