black
    2001 Trans Am

2001 Trans Am Clutch info

Hi, My sons car. 2001 Trans Am LS1. W6 70G on the clock. Stock motor. He's in need of a new clutch. Dad, me. looking for info on taking out the trans. What to buy. He wants a decent clutch kit. Also he's looking at an aluminum flywheel. New slave replacement. Heard about an updated one. I've done clutches before. Thought about having his original flywheel resurfaced & lightened a bit. Good or bad idea. As $400.00 for an aluminum flywheel. Time he adds up the $ on parts. Pretty hefty cost on everything total, my thinking. Thought, he dosen't need a race setup. Something a bit better than a stock unit? He's looked at Spec. Stage 1 & 2 I've looked at AutoZone, lifetime warrenty Luk's. I kinda like those lifetime warrentys. Slave at Spec is $150.00 & Luk is $70.00 Same part? He parks it for the winter & thought a winter garage project. till summer driving again. Dropping the trans a headache? Thank You for any info and thoughts. I've been working on cars for many years. Dave

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

LS7 clutch, best out there. Great driveability and grabs like crazy, order a LS7 clutch/pressure plate and a LS7/LS2 flywheel (same part number). Also GM has a service bulletin out there for all 97-02 T56's for updated shift forks and syncros. Its intended to stop the 3rd and 4th gears from popping out like many of them do and it works, mine no longer pops. Not difficult, actually easier than i thought to do. Not sure but i beleive the 01 already has the updated slave but never hurts to change it while your in there, also don't forget a new throwout bearing (it cheap just change it)

black
    2001 Trans Am

Thank You. I'm not shure on what you ment, Guessing you mean the Corvette, new 06 one? Would it be better to get from a dealer or aftermarket supplyer? Would you know in this sight on how to's on doing it? Thank You, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit02 View Post
    LS7 clutch, best out there. Great driveability and grabs like crazy, order a LS7 clutch/pressure plate and a LS7/LS2 flywheel (same part number). Also GM has a service bulletin out there for all 97-02 T56's for updated shift forks and syncros. Its intended to stop the 3rd and 4th gears from popping out like many of them do and it works, mine no longer pops. Not difficult, actually easier than i thought to do. Not sure but i beleive the 01 already has the updated slave but never hurts to change it while your in there, also don't forget a new throwout bearing (it cheap just change it)
    Does this change the original horsepower and torque rating?
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Fred Beans in Limerick PA...look them up on google. Best price for LS7/LS2 combo...got mine for under $500

Thread Information