Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

2000 Z28 6-speed very hard to shift

I have a 2000 Z28 Camaro with 6-speed manual transmission, all stock. Recently my transmission has been hard to shift into gear. In some cases a lot of force is required. Sometimes it seems like the clutch is not fully disengaged even when I push the clutch in all the way.

When sitting at a stop light, with the clutch pedal pushed in all the way, there is sometimes a scraping/grinding sound too.

Once you are in gear everything is fine. The problems only happen when you shift.

One time I was parked and could not shift into Reverse, until I shut the car off. Then I could move the shifter just fine.

I took it to a Chevrolet dealer in San Jose and they said it was some kind of spring, and it needed the same service as if it was a slipping clutch. They quoted me $1,800 for the clutch replacement. I wanted to see if there is anything else it could be. 95k miles and my clutch does not slip at all.

Also, I have checked my hydraulic clutch fluid reservoir and it is full.
    Last edited by beamatronic; 05-06-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added information

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like a bad master or slave cylinder. Basically a bad master or slave will not fully release the clutch, resulting in difficulty engaging gears, especially reverse.

The grinding sounds could be a few things, quite possible the throwout bearing on the salve cylinder is cooked.

red
    04 Monaro CV8

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sounds like a bad master or slave cylinder. Basically a bad master or slave will not fully release the clutch, resulting in difficulty engaging gears, especially reverse.

The grinding sounds could be a few things, quite possible the throwout bearing on the salve cylinder is cooked.
    interesting as my car had similar symptoms every now and again until i properly broke it

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

The dealer said ( who knows if this is true ) that the hydraulic clutch, master and slave cylinders, are okay. Since they quoted me such a high figure I am planning to take it somewhere else and get another opinion.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Your problem sounds like the opposite of what the dealer said. The clutch disc, flywheel, and pressure plate are probablly ok, but your hydraulics are shot. Like Wesman said, master or slave are bad. Replacing them both should take care of your problem. Or you could try the master first.

Black
    1999 Formula WS6

I'm having sort of the same problem. Reverse is sometimes a problem but if i go into another gear then reverse its fine. my car goes into gear fine when just driving normal. but if i drive hard or a hard launch it wont go into the next gear. would this be the same problem??????

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by formula ws6 View Post
    I'm having sort of the same problem. Reverse is sometimes a problem but if i go into another gear then reverse its fine. my car goes into gear fine when just driving normal. but if i drive hard or a hard launch it wont go into the next gear. would this be the same problem??????
    you might have 2 problems. The reverse lock out solenoid could be going bad. And the second problem could be the common sticky clutch problem. Read the sticky at the top of the Manual Trans section and see if that sounds like your problem.

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

I did do quite a bit of city stop and go driving with this car up until a few years ago. I'm taking it to a local mechanic to see what he thinks. Thanks everyone.

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

The mechanic tore it apart and they found that the pilot bearing was "all chewed up". Also they found the slave cylinder was "a little wet" so they are replacing that as well.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yep that'll do it

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by beamatronic View Post
    The mechanic tore it apart and they found that the pilot bearing was "all chewed up". Also they found the slave cylinder was "a little wet" so they are replacing that as well.
    If you don't mind me asking, how much for the new bearing and slave?

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

Total price was $1,254.66

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Ouch!

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

Dealer wanted $1,800

Thread Information