Black
    2000 camaro SS

2000 ss camaro popped out of 3rd

I recently bought my camaro and had no problems. Yesterday it popped out of third and now grinds all gears and if you accelerate much at all after you get it in gear it will pop out. Any one ever had this problem?

red/black
    2000 ss camaro

I put mine in fifth one day and it sounded like i missed the gear.... I didn't the input shaft was screwed , I barely got home. The input shaft was screwed so I had the whole thing rebuilt, It was all worn out. It had 140,000 miles on it at the time and was the one time I wasn't driving the crap out of it lol.

Black
    2000 camaro SS

Mine has 147,000 on it. The bad thing is I had let my boyfriend drive and he was getting on it pretty good. I wasn't a happy camper lol. But we thought it had to have something to do with that shaft.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

popping out of 3rd sounds like a bent shift fork. The 3-4 shift fork is aluminum and is known to bend when slamming gears. The fix for that is to replace it with the Viper steel shift fork.
    Grinding in all gears usually indicates a clutch release problem or a bad pilot bearing. Either problem is causing the trans input shaft to not completely release from the engine. the engine power is fighting against the synchos and making them grind.

Black
    2000 camaro SS

Ok guys thanks for the input!!!!

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

I had something similar happen to me. First it started to jump out of third, then stayed locked in forth one day and that was it. Like mentioned the 3-4 shift fork bends. There is as GM TSB bulletin on it. Steel fork fixes it, but while your or someone is in there, upgrade 1-2 and 3-4 fork teflon pads to bronze fork pads at least. I got my stuff from the gear box transmission a couple of years ago. Knock on aluminum transmission case, no problems. thegearbox.org
    Last edited by Cutlass; 08-22-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: removed nonsponsor direct link

Black
    2000 camaro SS

We pulled the tran yesterday. We are talking 4 people who have done this kinda thing their entire life and can't see what the problem is. I am at a loss. I am also not dealing well with the fact I don't have my car lol. We have a spair tran I think we may throw in it and dig deaper into this one.

Thread Information