Black
    1999 Camaro SS

1999 Camaro - Needing a new rear end yearly! Any recommendations??

Hey I'm new here, but in need of some feed back/advise/personal experiances.
    I've got a 1999 SS, full exhaust, heads, cam, LSX Intake, upper and lower control arms done, sway bars, subframe, shocks, and last year I put in 3.73 gears when I blew my factory gears and punched a hole in my diff.
    Ever since I got the new gears you could hear a whining sound when on the highway crusing. The mechanic said that was normal with these gears and I had heard it before so I decided it was okay I could live with the sound.

Then this year it got worse and got way worse in the last 2 weeks before I blew the gears again. They started to whine when I was going 70km, then 50km, then they'd whine when I slow down. And then about 10 min before I punched them they made a slight grinding sound - and that was the life of my 3.73's.
    So does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of gears I should do now? I was thinking of putting in a Ford 9in rear end.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience with their Camaro's??
    Please let me know I am interested in what I should do next.

Thanks!!!
    LS1 Babe

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

gears will not grind if installed correctly...chances are they werent installed correctly and caused "deflection" i believe..and led to premature failure. Alot of people run 9"...if you arent going to be pushing serious power i would suggest 1 of two things..1. buy gm performance gears and support weild the housing and the axle tubes/meets the housing..that would keep your 10 bolt untill around 400ish to the wheels/ or buy the support/ fab one up....2. buy a ranger rear end..quite a bit cheaper then a 9" but holds 400ish+ i think the ranger rear end is 8.5..but dont quote me on it.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Thanks for the reply.
    They never grinded until a second before they blew - they always made a whining sound (you could hear them spinning).
    When you said the gears would hold about 400ish to the wheels - I'm assuming you meant horsepower - I'm already running 405hp to the wheels. And I'm wanting to more to the engine (thinking turbo or supercharger); so I need something strong. Should I go for the Ford 9in?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Babe View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    They never grinded until a second before they blew - they always made a whining sound (you could hear them spinning).
    When you said the gears would hold about 400ish to the wheels - I'm assuming you meant horsepower - I'm already running 405hp to the wheels. And I'm wanting to more to the engine (thinking turbo or supercharger); so I need something strong. Should I go for the Ford 9in?

its really up to you. the 9" is indestructible and a lil cheaper then the 12 bolt. i personally if i ever do start moding the hell out of my car...i would put a 12 bolt in..but thats just my personal preference. Also gears will hold any amount of power...what causes problems is the "pumpkin"/housing..at least with the 10 bolt ...the housing flexes to much and throws the gear's alignment off and gernades the whole rear end..another weak point of the 10b...are the axles...the housings flex and break the axles very easy.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Thanks - I'll look into the 12 bolt.
    I also have a hell of a wheel hop when I hit it. I think that it comes from the back drivers side (not 100% sure, but that's what it feels like). I thought it may have been the torque arms but I had those upgraded too as well as the control arms - anythoughts?
    What are you driving? What rear end do you have?

- LS1Babe

98' trans am

look into your shocks..shocks and lcas will help eliminate wheel hop..i drive a 98 t/a ..and i have the stock 10 bolt..its a beauty...no leakage and is quiet.. once again i havent moded it yet

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Thanks - BTW what are "shocks and lcas".
    Okay well shocks I know - I have 8 way adjustable shocks by... I don't remember for some reason (it's on the tip on my tongue). Anyway what's "lcas" I'm assumming it's a typo?
    Thanks

98' trans am

lower control arms. Make sure your shocks are tuned in to the right setting..i am no suspension guru. i'd make a post over in the suspension section about the wheel hop..make sure you tell them you have your adjustable shocks ect.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

sounds like with all the mods you have you are going to need an upgraded axle.
    the talk on the streets is anything past stock HP rating on a 10 bolt is pure breakage.
    and building a 10 bolt to handle power, is like building a mustang to keep up with an LS1.(not including +03 cobra)
    its just not worth it....
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    sounds like with all the mods you have you are going to need an upgraded axle.
    the talk on the streets is anything past stock HP rating on a 10 bolt is pure breakage.
    and building a 10 bolt to handle power, is like building a mustang to keep up with an LS1.(not including +03 cobra)
    its just not worth it....
    it can be if your not going to pushing serious power...you can fab up a support or buy one on summit..i think they are like 2-300 bucks..then you just weld were the tubes meet the pumpkin..sounds relatively cheap to me, but i agree with her mods she will need to upgrade her whole rear end.

Thread Information