Red
    1998 Z28 6-speed

1998 6-speed how do i bleed the clutch?!

This probably aalready answered somwhere else but im pretty much out of patience and my car is getting to whre i cant even drive it anymore. its a 1998 Z28 6 speed and ive had it about 2 months. when i got it it drove great then shortly after i started noticeing my clutch was going all wierd on me. i checked the reservior and it was empty so i added some to it and didnt bother bleeding it cuz it felt great again. well now im right back where i started and ive looked all over and i cant find a damn bleeder valve. i followed that braided steel line from the slave cylinder to the trans and found nothing. Plus i saw all that stuff about the restricted line? and "the drill mod" if somone could explain all this to me it would be great. i cant hardly have my fun and drive hard ne more :[

Mag Red
    '98 C5

the bleeder is located just above the steel braided line in the bellhousing. Its a 7/16 size. Sounds like you got air in it before you topped it off with fluid. Could also be a leaking slave/master cylinder if youre constantly losing fluid. Hope this helps.

Red
    1998 Z28 6-speed

Well i cant get under it right now and look but i work in a lube shop and i was in the pit walking around underneath it earlier today and i didnt see a bleeder valve above it. all i remember seeing was the braided line running into a grommet and then into the trans. is the valve like right above it or is it up a little further? Also i can feel a slight vibration in the clutch pedal at times i dont know if its a symptom of having air in the lines or a sign of something bigger. It kinda feels like a warped rotar would but not nearly as intense.
    Last edited by stevo5662; 02-10-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Mag Red
    '98 C5

vibration could be indicative of a warped or not fully releasing pressure plate possibly.....as far as the bleeder you wont be able to see it you have to go by feel.

Red
    1998 Z28 6-speed

thank you very much ill pull it into my work tomarow and take a look for the bleeder. i think i need a new slave sylinder but if i can bleed it and just watch the level it will be ok for now.

flat black
    when you bleed it...your best bet is just crack the bleeder open and let it gravity drip...make sure you keep fluid in the master cylinder....you can not bleed these like you would traditionally bleed a brake system....if you could pressurize the system...using a pressure cap that was fitted for you master cylinder this would be the best way it would force fluid through the slave cylinder...other than that gravity bleeding is the next best thing ive found...it takes a while though

Red
    1998 Z28 6-speed

i bled it today and its much better. still doesnt feel right though. the pedal feel still changes up on me at random times. sometimes it engages when its almost all the way out and other times only when i let it about half way out. i heard these have self adjusting throw out bearings? could that be the cause of that? plus i still have that slight vibration i get, but it isnt consistant either it comes and goes.

Thread Information