Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

121,000 on stock clutch BUT.....

It doesn't look like there will be any more miles on it. I have now experienced the clutch pedal on the floor syndrome and barely got the car back home (in fifth). Fluid is dirty (changed last summer). Bleeding and trying to change fluid wasn't successful. Spoke with Jay C. about this and I'm ready to bite the bullet and just go ahead and get the car up to snuff. No engine issues at all, but my plan is to replace it with an LS6 crate and LT's (with slight bolt-on's, mods) when the time comes. At best, 450 RWHP would be the maximum I'll end up with. That is enough performance for me.

But right now the plan is to replace the clutch with an LS6 one, the slave, and the master cylinder. I'm looking at the TICK master, but truly wonder if it is worth the added cost over OEM. I love this car and plan on keeping it, so the investment value is there.

Not a racer, although when I retire at the end of the year, my "new" job will likely allow me to visit VMAX on occasion (maybe 1-2 times a year). Not sure that will happen though. My goal is to have a reliable daily-driver and keep my current level of drive-ability and economy.

Any thoughts, advice from those of you who have already traveled this path?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

LS6 clutch isnt a popular upgrade, not sure why, probably just because its not much of an upgrade over stock for the price.

In your situation, the LS7 clutch, with the Tick is very popular, both can be ordered from kyspeed.com for less than $900 i think.

Many people, including myself have gone this path, as long as youre under 500hp, and not at the track every weekend, it should work for you. Its also a popular swap due to it being a direct replacement, no modifications

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

There are many aftermarket clutch units on the market and several offer what you are looking for. I have to agree with Spikito on the LS7 unit. While I have never used one myself I have heard alot of people recommend this clutch. It should match what you currently have and what you are planning to do in the future. Good luck.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I appreciate the advice guys. One of the reasons for the LS6 clutch was it works with the stock flywheel (just resurface it). A change to the LS7 requires a new flywheel (as I'm told), and I just don't know IF the performance gain is worth the cost of the new flywheel for MY situation. Getting prices for both units and I think the TICK master is a given.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    I'm certainly going to consider it, but I'm also getting some other work done while Jay has it. I'm about to drop some bucks into it and I have to be reasonable with my choices to keep the amount in my budget. if I can swing the extra funds for the LS7 unit I probably will.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

LS6 clutch isnt a popular upgrade, not sure why, probably just because its not much of an upgrade over stock for the price.

In your situation, the LS7 clutch, with the Tick is very popular, both can be ordered from kyspeed.com for less than $900 i think.

Many people, including myself have gone this path, as long as youre under 500hp, and not at the track every weekend, it should work for you. Its also a popular swap due to it being a direct replacement, no modifications
    Did you get the LS7 clutch kit they offer that comes with a flywheel for $500? I discussed it with Jay and he is saying to go that route as the LS6 clutch is looking a bit difficult to get locally.

I ask this because I have a shopping cart with the LS7 clutch kit, Tick Adj. master, GM slave, and SLP floormats at KS, but I'm awaiting an e-mail answer from them about the flywheel that comes with the kit. I haven't had any luck with the phone number.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Okay, I placed the order. We'll see if this goes well.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

The owner of KY is a member here, I have his cell number somewhere. But yeah, I don't know that Ive ever seen an LS6 for sale.

whats your flywheel question?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

The owner of KY is a member here, I have his cell number somewhere. But yeah, I don't know that Ive ever seen an LS6 for sale.

whats your flywheel question?
    Just gonna confirm the flywheel was steel, IF there were any options, and if the parts were in stock for shipment. I just went ahead and placed the order. Hopefully everything is on the shelf.

The LS7 clutch is a self adjusting setup (I'm not a fan of), and I've heard of people with issues trying to run an adjustable master such as a tick along with it. Might want to search that, there was a long discussion about that here before.

I run the LS6 clutch in my wifes car, and it's been great for several years now. I'm not sure if it's still available. I also run an adjustable master cylinder with it and the updated slave.

I think when the time comes for another clutch, I'll go with Centerforce or Ram, 2 of my favorites I use for classic cars.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

KYspeed does drop shipments, so Ive always gotten things really quick, but if you place a multi-part order, you probably wont get them all at the same time.

And yes its a steel flywheel, theres an aluminum option for a fee

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Well, the order is in for the LS7 clutch kit and a Tick adj. Master cylinder as of Friday. I guess we'll see how it works.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

LS7 clutch kit and slave cylinder were received about ten days after I received the Tick master cylinder. All are in the car now, but the suspension upgrades are still taking place.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

I had a lot of road miles on my car before my swap. My LS1 had 125K and still had the orig. clutch. The clutch disk was still in great shape when I took it apart. It was the pilot bearing that was nonexistent. The bearings had worn away to a pile of rust dust.
    I have 13K on my LS6 since I got my car back on the road last Aug. and I'm very pleased with it. I went with an LS7 clutch and it was a great improvement over the orig. clutch.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
    I had a lot of road miles on my car before my swap. My LS1 had 125K and still had the orig. clutch. The clutch disk was still in great shape when I took it apart. It was the pilot bearing that was nonexistent. The bearings had worn away to a pile of rust dust.
    I have 13K on my LS6 since I got my car back on the road last Aug. and I'm very pleased with it. I went with an LS7 clutch and it was a great improvement over the orig. clutch.
    Sounds like a similar song! Mine still had some life left in it too. Pretty impressive to last that long. Looking forward to the new, improved, fortified with vitamins version I should have by the end of the week.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I've got about 350 miles on the new stuff; LS7 clutch and flywheel, new slave cylinder, and Tick Adj. Master Cylinder. It was a bit touchy on release at first, but it is now very smooth. Never had any mating issues at all, it just grabbed very hard for the first few hundred miles when starting from a stop. Now it is near perfect.

Now to finish the suspension stuff (another thread).

Thread Information